Car Recommendation for My Daughter | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car Recommendation for My Daughter

Not all them had problems

probably with that many ks it’ll be good

or already done

First / second Gen Honda fit. I bought one a decade+ ago with 50k. Have since put another 350k on it.

Ive had zero major mechanical issues despite driving the hell out of it. I use it to tow my bike, have tracked it twice, half a dozen east coast roadtrips, etc.Very easy car to work on and parts are plentiful and cheap. Japanese manufactured is a plus as well (still original starter, ac compressor, alternator)

Rear seats are "magic seats" so they fold flat. Fits my golden retriever, camping gear, and a bicycle no problem. I'd argue it has more useable interior space than my girlfriends RAV4. Sport model comes with paddleshift for the AT.

IMO best bang for your buck around $5k. Just research the rust spots (rear quarter + under bumper) as that's what's going to eventually kill mine.

The wife drives a 2010 mazda 3 sport wagon. We bought it in 2015 with 68k km on it, only has 120k on it now as she rides her motorcycle as much as possible.
It has been reliable however I have had to replace the rear upper shock mounts twice, they are thin and prone to breaking.
I've done both front wheel bearings and am about to do the rears along with rear shocks and calipers, pads and rotors.
Overall a cheap and cheerful kind of car, good room, not fast but handles well.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Kia and Hyundai are the best bang for your buck on the used market. Reliability post 2010 is pretty good. Hyundai Elantra or Kia Forte would be my suggestion.

She interested in something a bit bigger? My daughter just picked up a 2011 Kia Soul a few months back for $3000 w/210,000km on it. Was in great shape (I did my due dilligence checking it out very carefully beforehand), needed a transmission cooler line (the puddle under his parking spot at his apartment and the seeping lines at the rad made that evident), but the whole certification including the tranny lines was $450. Just needed a parking brake adjustment.

These things are rocks. Simple, but some of the upmodel ones are pretty impressive in features. Honestly, having borrowed it from her a few weeks ago for a trip out to Gaspe and back (and pulling a 2K trailer with it!) I was seriously blown away.

And it's just funky enough that the kids seem to like them. Practical inside as well, lots of storage, big rear hatch, comfortable for the most part.

IMG_5047.jpeg

She interested in something a bit bigger? My daughter just picked up a 2011 Kia Soul a few months back for $3000 w/210,000km on it. Was in great shape (I did my due dilligence checking it out very carefully beforehand), needed a transmission cooler line (the puddle under his parking spot at his apartment and the seeping lines at the rad made that evident), but the whole certification including the tranny lines was $450. Just needed a parking brake adjustment.

These things are rocks. Simple, but some of the upmodel ones are pretty impressive in features. Honestly, having borrowed it from her a few weeks ago for a trip out to Gaspe and back (and pulling a 2K trailer with it!) I was seriously blown away.

And it's just funky enough that the kids seem to like them. Practical inside as well, lots of storage, big rear hatch, comfortable for the most part.

View attachment 45423
I'm not sure I'd consider a soul "bigger". My BIL has one. He likes it but it has a hell of a lot less space behind the rear seats than a golf (probably half).

I agree it's not a huge car, but from the pure perspective of one hatchback to another, it *is* bigger, mainly in height. My Volt for example..hatchback. The Soul...hatch. With the rear seats folded down we did get more stuff in there for our trip than we could have got in the Volt, and it was a bit higher riding as well so easier to get in and out of as well as lug things in/out of the back. When one of those things was my 50# inverter generator at least once a day, well, that was kinda nice.

she doesn't like the Soul, Gen Z
who TF knows what drives them?
pressuring for a mini

but a 5k mini is going to be a massive POS
in fact I hear a new mini is a POS

gonna look at the Elantra GT's
rented one awhile back and was really impressed with it

View attachment 45423

That is a super nice trailer. What is the model number? Wonder how is the interior. I should be able to tow it with my Ridgeline.

I am surprised nobody mentioned about Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.

That is a super nice trailer. What is the model number? Wonder how is the interior. I should be able to tow it with my Ridgeline.

I am surprised nobody mentioned about Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.
If a soul can tow it to gaspe, I cant see you having any issues with a ridgeline.

I recommended matrix, but OP said toyota in the price range was clapped out. Vibe is a good call, the price might be better.

First / second Gen Honda fit. I bought one a decade+ ago with 50k. Have since put another 350k on it.

Ive had zero major mechanical issues despite driving the hell out of it. I use it to tow my bike, have tracked it twice, half a dozen east coast roadtrips, etc.Very easy car to work on and parts are plentiful and cheap. Japanese manufactured is a plus as well (still original starter, ac compressor, alternator)

Rear seats are "magic seats" so they fold flat. Fits my golden retriever, camping gear, and a bicycle no problem. I'd argue it has more useable interior space than my girlfriends RAV4. Sport model comes with paddleshift for the AT.

IMO best bang for your buck around $5k. Just research the rust spots (rear quarter + under bumper) as that's what's going to eventually kill mine.

listen to this man, the Fits were all built in Japan. Japan screws them together best IMHO. Add in the clever storage and folding options and the legendary Honda reliability, and we have our winner.

96A9E254-DF8F-45E1-8BDC-B1D4D48A3A5A.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

2018 ProLite Lounge. Made in Quebec. An amazing amount of stuff in a small package - fridge, stove, furnace, hot water, wet bath (shower / toilet combo), microwave, and a fold down bed at the front that slept the 2 of us comfortably. I liked the separate dinette - didnt' need to fold up the table every morning to have a place to sit and eat. Never folded up the bed all week honestly. Perfect for 2 people. This one without AC and no awning and a single propane tank came in at 1400# empty, not including water etc. By the time we were loaded and such, around 2K. The Soul handled it amazing, even on some of the insane grades out there.

IMG_4980.jpeg

^ GG mentioned the Matrix/Vibe earlier

certainly ticks the boxes
gonna see if the Vibe escapes the Toyota premium for the same car

Vibe/Matrix is a great car. Vibe is better looking imo, they both have great resale value for their age.

Here's a nice low mileage one for reasonable money. Seller seems good, might be worth a look.

how about first gen Nissan Versa? I saw it mentioned earlier, that's another good little car that's held its value as well but not as much as the Vibe/Matrix. Stay away from the cvt though.

Reactions: J_F
I have a 2013 Elantra GT and absolutely love it...haven't had any issues with it what so ever...had one recall if I remember correctly and I had to deal with an ABS sensor which got knocked loose from a huge pothole in KY...great on gas and mine is manual (which I love)...I have the GLS trim (mid line) and it comes with heated seats, heated mirrors, HUGE moonroof, etc...only thing really missing is a rear view camera...I've seen same model years for around $6500 on Kijiji and Auto Trader...

Back
Top Bottom