Car help! Smells like Rotten Eggs | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car help! Smells like Rotten Eggs

Hey riders!

Been noticing a rotten egg smell around my car (2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid 120,000k). Did some researching online and some indications point to bad gas, have to burn through a few tanks before it might go away. The other could be the catalytic converter going bad, but if that was the case some other indications might be a engine sensor might flip on if it was. I'm thinking it is not the CAT and will try some better gas.

Would a higher octane help, or using a fuel injector additive help? (car only requires minimum grade 87 fuel)
I've never had a issue with bad gas this kinda seems strange. Usually go to Husky since it very local to me but I guess I should be going elsewhere?

Your thoughts!

The rotten eggs smell happens when your car is not tuning itself properly. Usually caused by a bad O2 sensor that is running the car rich and causing your cat to clog up. If you're throwing any engine codes have them looked at to see which sensor it is. Can also be caused by clogged air intake (causing rich mixture).

Today I checked out the engine air filter and the cabin filter. The engine filter didn't look bad, there was some debris in there from the stupid cedar trees next to the driveway. Vacuumed that all up. The cabin filter was kinda rough. Going to replaced both of them see if it changes anything. I switched to Petro Canada gas for now. Time will tell.

I stopped by 2 Toyota dealers. 1 was totally useless when I talked to the advisor, just the usual speal about the technician will have to check the exhuast system and it will cost you this much. :rolleyes:. The other dealer said basically nothing can be done. It's normal for some cars to exhibit some orders like this and they wouldn't be able to tell if the cat was bad or not. I was a little disappointed in this response but not completely as I have no check engine light on or other alerts. I am hoping with changed gas and new filters this all goes away.

Suckered me in, I thought he was providing a link to something revolutionary too.
I think he's just saying they all stink.

My MV Agusta smells like burning horse hair when it gets hot,
I think the insulation between the fairing and the cat converter might have been made out of pony parts.

Why did my answer turn into a link???? I had a car that smelled like rotten eggs with reduced performance and it was the cat. No links this time!

Why did my answer turn into a link???? I had a car that smelled like rotten eggs with reduced performance and it was the cat. No links this time!
Vigiink. Basically they throw Paul some money to insert useless links. There is a thread on it. Some people have strong opinions about it.

So how did you fix it and at what cost?

Strong opinions :|
/rant on
The advertising virus targets key words, it is evil.
it can totally mess up your post, because sometimes the things you type like s and soak plugs tireTriumph come out completely nonsense just like that, so then you have to go back and edit it to say Trium-ph tyres and sparky things and that works see watch s and spark plugstireTriumph
You could type all vertical like:
Triumph
tires
and
spark plugs
That works but it's totally messed up and still evil.
/rant off

Last edited:

Correct they smell like a bad fart, smell that u better take cover car batteries pack a punch when exploding. We had a f150 with a bad battery in our paint booth it stunk and the hood and passenger fender were hot to the touch.

A shop diagnosed the problem. The dealer wanted over 600 for a new OEM cat and a private muffler shop installed a generic cat and bent some pipe to make it fit for 200. Worked great and smelled better afterwards

A shop diagnosed the problem. The dealer wanted over 600 for a new OEM cat and a private muffler shop installed a generic cat and bent some pipe to make it fit for 200. Worked great and smelled better afterwards
An OEM cat for 600 is unreal....an aftermarket one for 200 is even crazier. Cats up until recently were stolen as they are so expensive. I bet the op's cat on that Toyota is 2-3k easy.

An OEM cat for 600 is unreal....an aftermarket one for 200 is even crazier. Cats up until recently were stolen as they are so expensive. I bet the op's cat on that Toyota is 2-3k easy.
Apparently VW cats are worth ~$300 in the states at a scrap dealer. No idea on Cdn prices. I was shocked they were worth that much as scrap.

Apparently VW cats are worth ~$300 in the states at a scrap dealer. No idea on Cdn prices. I was shocked they were worth that much as scrap.
Platinum is worth $30 per gram and a cat contains somewhere between 3-7 grams of recoverable materials.

I guess i got a good deal. This was also in 2004 so prices have really gone up. It was a 1993 Probe GT with the V6.

The op says it's a "2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid 120,000k" should the cat be covered by warranty?
I did check the warranty in the manual and the CAT is covered under and separate emissions warranty. But I have this feeling it would be difficult to claim as the only indication is the smell, no engine warning lights, and dodgy answers from dealers.

Back
Top Bottom