Cancel culture | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cancel culture

I have a hard time taking this at face value

John Cleese quote on the World Series “it’s usually polite to invite the rest of the world to a World Series”.

I kinda understand this, I'm not one for revising history or prosecuting people for things they did in a time when those actions were not considered offensive.

As much as this pains me to say, I don't see Trudeau's blackface as offensive. In the early 90's I had a reunion with a few HS football buddies, four of us were white, 3 black. We went downtown as a team for Halloween white guys in blackface and dreadlocks, the black guys in white powder face and blond wigs. We had a ball, partied with everyone in the street, and nobody cried foul. There were certainly no racism or cultural appropriation accusations.

That was then, this is now. I'm not ashamed to have done that in 1985, it was OK and not offensive at the time. I wouldn't do it today, times change and it's now widely considered derogatory. Also, the picture of "7 amigos" in black/white face that hung in my Sports room for 20 years is no longer on display (but it is still around).

I get John Cleese's position and understand why he's getting ahead of this. Last thing he needs is a woke academic prosecuting him for a skit he did 30 years ago with Benny Hill.

I don't know what he actually said or what the context was, but I've seen a number of art-related shows hosted by Andrew Graham-Dixon, and he's generally great. I'd be very surprised if he said anything with malice. John Cleese I'm more ambivalent about in his current state, mostly because he's not quite as funny (anymore) as he thinks he is. He was never my favourite Python, anyway. He's also perpetually broke because of a string of marriages, so he's always looking for a way to insert himself into the public conversation...

John Cleese has incredible comedic timing and he’s just a naturally funny guy. Always has been. The fact that he looks like the human personification of a heron is just an added bonus for his craft.

As for cancel culture. It has vastly changed the way I lecture and communicate with my work. Not necessarily for the better. If there’s the chance someone will misconstrue a quote or take something out of context for a woke social media rebuke then I’m just less likely to communicate rapidly or with more explanation than I have to.

Cancel Culture is nothing new. It used to be know as the phrase "Suffering the consequences of your Actions"

Note: not necessarily in this (or all) cases.
Disagree. Its much different today. Someone can have their lives ruined or turned upside down on a whim.
Look at the two native girls who lost their jobs and future because some BLM clown was reaching for something that wasnt there and thought she had the right to destroy and dox them.
The Ottawa prof who got kicked out for saying the N word while using it in an educational context.

Then you have the BLM Toronto founder tweet about killing white people and Cardi B admitting she used to drug and rob men, yet nothing happens to them.
If your indigenous, an "ethnic minority" or even a woman you can get away with almost anything. If your a white man you better be very careful about what you say. Modern cancel culture is toxic.

If anyone wants to hear the Hitler impression in question, the full discussion is here (it's not long before you get to the bit with the bad German accent):

As pointed out by the chair afterwards, the impression does go on long enough to become slightly uncomfortable, but to take what he says to be in any way hateful is definitely not the reading I would have. If anything, a case could be made that putting the actions of Hitler down to simple bad taste diminishes their horror, but considering the argument equates taste with morality, it becomes a matter of semantics.

EDIT: The YouTube link is being difficult, so just skip to about 10:20 for the pertinent bit...

I kinda understand this, I'm not one for revising history or prosecuting people for things they did in a time when those actions were not considered offensive.

As much as this pains me to say, I don't see Trudeau's blackface as offensive. In the early 90's I had a reunion with a few HS football buddies, four of us were white, 3 black. We went downtown as a team for Halloween white guys in blackface and dreadlocks, the black guys in white powder face and blond wigs. We had a ball, partied with everyone in the street, and nobody cried foul. There were certainly no racism or cultural appropriation accusations.
Who were the other people in the photo, especially the one he has his arm around.
If that one was a minor, and a student, then would you judge him for being inappropriate.

I dont either. I think much of the outcry was because of his blatant hypocrisy, just like the "men bad, believe all women" bs he preached and then blew off or paid off the sexual assault allegation he received.

FTFY

Back
Top Bottom