Canada Post - Huge losses | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada Post - Huge losses

Scrap door to door delivery. Superboxes for all. That would save a shite ton o money.
I’m happy with one a week mail to my house. I don’t know if the local letter carrier will like that.

I know my 2 local posties, they do their days work in less than 4 hours, mostly due to union rules. That could be made way more efficient.

You know, everyone loves to hate everything government, I know I do.

But to be fair, I've had pretty good luck with CP package delivery. No lost packages, no damaged packages, good service and ontime service.

CP has issues, in particular a flat rate for a lot of things and the brutal expense of "last mile" delivery that no one else wants. If CP folded the private sector would pick and choose the profitable parts of it (and they have already done that to a large extend) and dump the rest.

One thing I don't miss are the near yearly strikes decades ago when J. C. Parrot would lead his posties off the job and hold everyone hostage because we had no alternative.
GovernmentS

Municipal
wants more density which means more mail per route. Grid lock from bike lanes will make delivery slower.

Provincial wants to open up more rural land which is more expensive to service.

Federal picks up the tab for the above changes.

I don't know who picks up the tab for renaming streets.

I'm happy with the level of service I get but parcel post rates are often nuts. If they put rates up to theoretically make more income, they will lose more customers.

I'm happy with the level of service I get but parcel post rates are often nuts. If they put rates up to theoretically make more income, they will lose more customers.
They are gouging consumers. Cost me about $13 to send a 10 lb box to Timmins on my Purolator account, same with CPC is $32

They are gouging consumers. Cost me about $13 to send a 10 lb box to Timmins on my Purolator account, same with CPC is $32
I could get a box shipped to me from Trenton for about $7 prepay and charge. It would cost me about $35 to ship the same box to Peterborough.

I've been able to ship parcels with CP for far less than UPS or FedEx. I think each company has certain lane wys that they excel in.

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk

Squeeze mails knitted socks,but has to slip each into a separate letter. To mail a set as a package makes it not worth while.

Every time they strike it's like they don't want to be employed. We used to get bills and mail out cheques at work but every strike forced businesses to find a different way and none I know of ever went back. The CP union forced most companies to switch to email bills and electronic payments years or decades before they would have switched.

Sent from the future

Did we expect any less from CP. I don't think they ever earn any money.

I think CP bet to heavy on a partnership with Amazon, which was trivial at best, who knows maybe they will pick up more work long term.
I've said before CP is like a make work project for the Gov, a way to pad staffing/employment numbers, which is why there will never be any efficiencies, because that would mean lower head counts. As it stands there usually isn't enough work for the shifts they have.

Management is the real problem over at CP, too much internal bickering and animosity between them and front line workers. All the people doing the grunt work are generally all decent.
Sooooo….
I work for CP in Guelph. It’s a freaking ****-show.
The routes are REALLY long for the most part. Posties are getting done a wee bit early on Thursday or Friday… Monday is overtime almost every week. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are OK at best.

If think that it’s a “make work project” in my depot, you’re sadly mistaken. The management only cares about cutting hours. They are pretty much demanding that there are absolutely ZERO overtime hours, regardless of the mail load. FFS, I had 11 flyers per day last week.. an average of 160 pounds of junk mail a day.

I do agree that management is a problem. They are very much in tune with the “Stick” and not the “Carrot”.

I’ve been working various shifts each week (my title is a “relief” worker - fill in wherever necessary to cover vacations, illnesses etc)… the 4am-noon shift scrambles hard each and every day, trying to get it all done. We have an average of 20 hours a week of overtime between the 4 workers. They want to cut 20 hours of regular pay to cut costs. The math simply doens’t work.

Sooooo….
I work for CP in Guelph. It’s a freaking ****-show.
The routes are REALLY long for the most part. Posties are getting done a wee bit early on Thursday or Friday… Monday is overtime almost every week. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are OK at best.

If think that it’s a “make work project” in my depot, you’re sadly mistaken. The management only cares about cutting hours. They are pretty much demanding that there are absolutely ZERO overtime hours, regardless of the mail load. FFS, I had 11 flyers per day last week.. an average of 160 pounds of junk mail a day.

I do agree that management is a problem. They are very much in tune with the “Stick” and not the “Carrot”.

I’ve been working various shifts each week (my title is a “relief” worker - fill in wherever necessary to cover vacations, illnesses etc)… the 4am-noon shift scrambles hard each and every day, trying to get it all done. We have an average of 20 hours a week of overtime between the 4 workers. They want to cut 20 hours of regular pay to cut costs. The math simply doens’t work.
Sounds like they need to charge more for bulk mailing. Either advertisers pay up to cover the costs or pull out and there is less work for the staff.

I'd be OK with residential mail delivery once a week. 95% of what I get goes straight to the recycle bin anyway.
Unfortunately, CP has hooked their wagon to Junk Mail in an absurdly huge fashion.

33% of CP income is junk mail. As a letter carrier, I have to hit about 300-350 houses a day, simply to deliver junk. The average route in Guelph has about 800-1000 addresses. It’s ridiculous. let’s say I have to prepare those 350 houses on Tuesday. At the end of day on Monday, it will take me about 2 hours to prepare the junk mail for Tuesday. We are credited with a grand total of 20 minutes to accomplish this task.

Soooo…. You want me to prepare 350 houses of junk, with 10 flyers (for example) in 20 minutes? Absolutely. Completely. Impossible.

Some of the mobile routes (deliver to community mail boxes etc) have 500 addresses to deliver junk to each day. I’ve seen them come in at 9am for regular shift start, and they dont’ get out of the depot until 1pm, simply due to the sheer volume of junk.

How about we reduce the pay of the fat cats on top instead of whipping the peasants down below?

Scrap door to door delivery. Superboxes for all. That would save a shite ton o money.
You might be surprised…
Now you need more vehicles to accommodate the delivery. More gas. More insurance. Larger depots with more dock spaces. More available space to park the extra vans….

Yes, it’s a completely viable option for locations that have all those options available. Kitchener built a new depot and included a brand new parking structure for the vans.

for any other location, it’s impossible due to space allowances noted above.

You might be surprised…
Now you need more vehicles to accommodate the delivery. More gas. More insurance. Larger depots with more dock spaces. More available space to park the extra vans….

Yes, it’s a completely viable option for locations that have all those options available. Kitchener built a new depot and included a brand new parking structure for the vans.

for any other location, it’s impossible due to space allowances noted above.
I'm confused. How do superboxes change things so much at depot level? I figured the biggest change would be eliminating hours of travel time (walking or driving) as postie had to hit every single house instead of stopping once to hit 30+ addresses.

Every time they strike it's like they don't want to be employed. We used to get bills and mail out cheques at work but every strike forced businesses to find a different way and none I know of ever went back. The CP union forced most companies to switch to email bills and electronic payments years or decades before they would have switched.

Sent from the future
FYI, there’s a huge possibility that CP with LOCK OUT the workers…

THIS IS NOT A WANTED STRIKE.

The collective bargaining agreement expired, and both union and CP agreed to extend it for 2 years. That will be expiring. CP has demanded that the union (**** me, I can’t stand unions and I’m in one) accept all their demands or a lock out will happen. Chances are, an arbitrator will be assigned and the union will be legislated back to work very quickly.,

The union would be in a legal strike position in September. CP won’t let that happen as it will cut into the Christmas Rush profits. Better to lock us out in August so it will be settled before then.

I'm confused. How do superboxes change things so much at depot level? I figured the biggest change would be eliminating hours of travel time (walking or driving) as postie had to hit every single house instead of stopping once to hit 30+ addresses.
Ok.. how about this…
Superboxes require vans for delivery.
Vans require gas, insurance and parking spaces.
Almost NO depots have the physical space to store said vans, nor do they have the ability to accommodate 20-125 vans at the loading docks at a time. If they can’t accommodate the dock space or the storage of said vans, you need a larger depot. That in turn, costs a **** ton more money.

Make sense?

Sounds like they need to charge more for bulk mailing. Either advertisers pay up to cover the costs or pull out and there is less work for the staff.
$0.18 for a regular sized flyer. $0.24 for a larger flyer. As a postie, get paid $0.012 cents for regular flyers or $0.018 for a larger flyer.
We get paid a pittance compared to the money coming in to CP.

Ok.. how about this…
Superboxes require vans for delivery.
Vans require gas, insurance and parking spaces.
Almost NO depots have the physical space to store said vans, nor do they have the ability to accommodate 20-125 vans at the loading docks at a time. If they can’t accommodate the dock space or the storage of said vans, you need a larger depot. That in turn, costs a **** ton more money.

Make sense?
Why can't a superbox be loaded by the same postie that walks or drives? Whatever infrastructure is in place to get them the mail continues to function (eg maybe a large van drops bags of mail in a box beside the superboxes and then the postie distributes).

$0.18 for a regular sized flyer. $0.24 for a larger flyer. As a postie, get paid $0.012 cents for regular flyers or $0.018 for a larger flyer.
We get paid a pittance compared to the money coming in to CP.
I am in no way blaming the bottom of the totem pile for this mess. Government agencies do not have CEO's and should not have CEO's. They have general managers. If you called it like it was, employee comp would be insane. By giving them bigger titles, government justifies paying more while not bothering with the flip side of holding them to account and firing them without a parachute if they fail to achieve goals.

Back
Top Bottom