Camping on flood plain/public land? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Camping on flood plain/public land?

wonderings

There is some flood plain land around my small town and was curious what the rules are in terms of camping on it for a night. I tried searching online and came to the GRCA (Grand River Conversation Authority) website that detailed what the land was used for and it gave me a regulation code. I went through the regulation and found nothing about camping or personal use, only about development and things of that nature.
Law Document English View

Anyone have experience with this? It is not exactly hidden as it is a big piece of land by the river so not a stealth camping thing. Just curious what the law is for our public lands and what we can do with it personally.
https://flic.kr/p/2gjoVFh]Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 3.28.58 PM[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150260324@N03/]B P[/url], on Flickr

Last edited:
haha just noticed that now
Well that's much less funny now.

I'd either just go for it with the expectation that I may be asked to leave or I would call GRCA and see what they have to say. If just going for it, I would avoid things that could get me big fines (fires, cutting down anything, hunting etc.).

If you're a Canadian resident, you get 21 days of free camping on Crown Land: 7 Tips For Camping On Crown Land In Ontario, Canada

Unfortunately that location is not crown land... I suspect private property of the City of Guelph, managed by GRCA.

Possibly the no-encroachment bylaw applies: https://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads/EncroachmentBylaw.pdf

did not know about the crown land camping, very interesting.

This is New Hamburg so not part of Guelp, but same idea. I have trouble believing/accepting the notion of a city owning land that is private.

The idea was more for quick and easy camping with my cousin and his young kid. I live about 2 mins from there so it is not roughing in any extreme way, would just be a free quiet spot by the river with no other campers around. I will contact GRCA and see what they say.

I'd assume the land belongs to the owner of the farmhouse at Huron and Bleams

If its municipal land there is likely a bylaw in place about tenting/camping on municipal land. Not so much , so you dont tent by the river , more so you dont camp in a downtown park. I think every town/city has one, enforcement often never happens.

Sleep on an air mattress, that way if the water level comes up in the night, you can just float on out of there.
... looks like a good place for mosquitoes and tics.

That’s great, thanks for that. So a “general use area” is good for camping? Non restricted firearms use too?
Holy, what kind of camping are you looking to do?

If you want a desolate backwoods camping experience try Puzzle Lake Provincial Park.
... at least you can Eat the fish you get out of there.

Some of the best "vehicle" Crown Land Camping I've done (ie sites you can ride to or even drive to with a normal car) are in Temagami. Take a ride down Red Squirrel Rd sometime and your jaw will drop at all the lake-side FREE crown land camping sites to be had.

+1 for Temagami and the thousands of lakes and rivers in and around it.

Back
Top Bottom