California - Pacific Coast Highway | GTAMotorcycle.com

California - Pacific Coast Highway

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Looking for any info on riding the coast, because wife and I are signed up for the Big Sur Marathon on Sunday April 28, 2024, which itself starts near Big Sur and ends near Monterey.

We are thinking we'll fly into LA on the Friday and then head north to Big Sur to do the run on the Sunday. After that we have a max a week to ride the coast. We are doing this 2up and she's not the biggest fan of super twisty mountain roads, so we'll keep this limited to a relaxing ride along the coast. I'd ride there solo for a month long trip to hit up the interior mountain roads on another trip.

We do want to see some big trees and maybe spend a night in San Fran and maybe finish the trip by leaving out of San Diego.

Or heading north, but not sure how cold it would be along the coast at that time of year further north into Oregon and maybe towards Seattle weather permitting. Currently looking at renting the bike from Eagle Rider for a 1 way rental.

I've never been out that way before, so any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd take a look at this site.

Been to California a number of times and have used this site to map out backcountry drives (not rides unfortunately).

Sample Rides.............

Napa County, California​

Knoxville Berryessa Rd​

Central California
Highway 1​

Last edited:
I'd take a look at this site.

Been to California a number of times and have used this site to map out backcountry drives (not rides unfortunately).

Sample Rides.............

Napa County, California​

Knoxville Berryessa Rd​

Central California​

Highway 1​

Amazing and thank you!

The most famous section of 101 (PCH) is Big Sur, the stretch between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It runs right next to the coast, so it has amazing views of the Pacific Ocean, especially when it climbs up high and you can look over the edge.

Unfortunately, this is also the most crowded section of 101. Highly recommended you avoid on weekends in the summer.

There are twistier sections north of SF, but it is further away from the coast so you don't as nice views.

Some of the must-dos around LA and the Angeles Crest Highway as well as 33 from Ventura, it gets really good north of Ojai through the Los Padres NF.

DSCN7420-X3.jpg

Not super twisty along the ocean - but stunning views.
Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at Oct, 15    2023    8.31.20 PM.jpg

Cold current can bring heavy fog and very chilly. You can see the fog lurking

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at Oct, 15    2023    8.28.30 PM.jpg
Traffic can be hectic and dangerous passing.
Why not fly into San Fran instead.???..much nicer and riding north of San Fran inland can be lovely tho some got burned out. You are not far out of Yosemite and also Mount St Helens.

There is a lovely place at Big Sur

Saw this note
Highway 1 is currently closed 15 miles South of us due to mudslides. You can access us on Highway 1 through the Monterey/Carmel area. Please call us or email us at info@bigsurcamp.com if you have any questions.
Nother reason to go via San Fran plus the Science Center is superb..

Seattle is wonderful. ride the Monorail and do the Space Tower plus the scifi museum.
Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at Oct, 15    2023    9.03.28 PM.jpgMount Ranier on a rare clear day...if that sucker goes off - kiss a lot of people goodbye...its HUGE.

Last edited:
Going into San Fran from the south there is a road that follows the top of the mountains so that you can see the bay on one side and the ocean on the other. There are some large trees and twisties on the way up. I did it on a fully loaded roadglide 2up no problem and you are far more experienced then me.

When I lived in Edmonton I rode the Coast Hi-way several times.
Only did San Diego to LA once (in camperized van) back in 2005 and that was between Christmas and New Years
Buitiful road but a lot of traffic.
The best trees are in Northern California near the Oregon border.
Redwoods like rain, a lot of rain!
The weather should be decent in Southern California at that time of year but keep in mind the Pacific Ocean is COLD.
Temperatures can vary between the ocean front and just a few kilometers inland.
Also remember the lirics of the song It Never Rains in Southern California

"Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California
But girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours"

The major roads are made of cement and have rain grooves in them that can be fun.
Hwy 101 usually has good pavement.
Every so often a secion of it will fall into the ocean.
I would recommend layered clothing and rain gear.
Enough negative! It is a wonderful ride.

Many of the roads that conect the Coast to the Interior are fun but take you to higher altitudes.

We’ll it seems the road washed out not too far from Big Sur, so the marathon route changed from a point to pint to an out and back. I haven’t run in over a month either, so this will be interesting and painful.

Rented a 1200 Tenere and it’s been a good bike, but it’s super agricultural. Kinda like driving the tractor’s I’ve used before. I would never buy one of these, but it’s a good mule for this type of ride.

The coast is beautiful. Weather is perfect. Managed to make our way around the worst of the heavy traffic by lane splitting and filtering. One section on the PCH was backed up for about 10 miles and it was a parking lot that whole stretch. Would have taken a couple hours minimum to do that little bit, but we did it in a few minutes on the bike:)

We could move out here, if it wasn’t so expensive.1DD8896E-B11F-4779-AFB4-0D9E3F4BC42D.jpeg

A few things to add if it helps anyone else on a trip like this.

Eagle Rider was a pleasure to deal with. Checking in and out was super fast and painless. Everything was ready for us when we arrived and the bike was a 2023 Yamaha Tenere 1200 with only 9000miles. Because we were doing a 2-up trip, I knew I would be riding the bike gently and not hitting up a lot of mountain roads. If this was a solo trip, I would have asked for fresh rubber on front and rear and told them my anticipated mileage, only because the front tire had about 20% tread, while the rear was closer to a new tire. It was totally fine for what we were planning on doing, but on a solo week of spirited riding, I would have burned through that front tire in a few days. We rode around 2000km over 6 days of 2up riding, while solo I would do that in 2-3 days tops and riding the tires a lot harder.

Another thing is insurance. I was hoping that my credit card would cover the moto insurance, but they had an exclusion for motorcycles. My regular moto insurance does not cover rental bikes, so if I had more time to spend planning this trip, it was something I would have looked into a bit more before leaving to see what I could have purchased from home. So while I was well covered for the emergency medical through my credit card, I would have had no insurance for the bike, accidents, liability, etc. Eagle Rider sells a roadside assistance and moto insurance plan which cost around $400 for the 8 days, so I bought it. All in all, the bike rental was around $2200 for the 8 days, which was well worth it in my opinion, since $500 is for the one-way rental and $400 was insurance. There were lot's of people just coming in for a day to rent a bike to hit up local roads and fly out the same night.

The bike itself had 32L side cases, which are smaller than I'm used to. We brought a 55L dry bag which I just kept strapped to the rear top plate and it served well as a backrest for my wife.

Lastly, I was going to hardwire my Zumo XT to the bike, but instead they gave me a usb/cigarette lighter adapter, which was perfect and saved me the time and hassle of hardwiring it.

The steed:
IMG_2585-4K.jpg

Because this was a 2up trip, we would only be riding max 6hrs a day and primarily sticking to the coast. Anytime I'm planning a ride along the water, I plan my route so that the water is on my right, so that I can easily pull off anytime for a picture. For his trip we flew in LA, rode south to San Diego and then rode north past San Fran. So for most of this ride, the water was on our left, which made it it more difficult to stop for pics at some spots. Next time I come down here, I'll start in Seattle and ride south.

Even still, there were lot's of opportunities to stop by the water and enjoy the moment.

IMG_2446-4K.jpg

We stayed a night in Venice Beach which was awesome. The beaches here are great and we just really liked it overall.
IMG_0212-4K.jpg

Since we were signed up to run the Big Sur marathon, we headed out almost every day for a short run to keep our legs fresh. There were always so many people running, biking, rollerblading, swimming, surfing, working out, playing sports or whatever than people just walking around. I love that kind of life. And lots of the beaches are really long and deep, so plenty of room for just relaxing on the beach too.
IMG_8151-4K.jpg

We start making our way north after San Diego and it goes without saying that there is crazy money along the coast. Every now and then we would get off the PCH and ride through the smaller neighbourhoods and just enjoy the diversity of architecture from one house to the next. Riding through Laguna Beach or Malibu and you lose count of the number of supercars. I saw several Cybertrucks, a range of Rivian's and electric cars everywhere, definitely much more than I see at home. Lane splitting and filtering is so nice to do. I was a bit limited due to the side cases, but still managed to save countless hours. In a car, I'd go nuts at some of the traffic in the larger areas or during the rush hour periods. If I had more time on this trip, I would have checked out Mulholland Drive, but this photo is as close as I would get...
IMG_8166-4K.jpg

Due to a washout at Big Sur, we could not ride that portion of the PCH. To get to Monterey from the south, you had to head inland instead. If there is one added thing I love about riding 2up with my wife, is that she will happily take the longer, twisty scenic route rather than taking the highways. So here we had to go inland and take the 101 which is nowhere near a scenic, but this meant that later on in the trip, we would avoid the 101 every chance we got. We also stopped in to a really nice winery on our way to Monterey for lunch and some drink for my wife!
1714828671128.png

So our race route was also changed due to the washout and would no longer run along Big Sur. This kinda worked out good for us, because of injuries we both sustained while training, so we were happy to find out they would allow us to shorten up our distances. Instead of running the 42k and 34k we downgraded to a 12k each and stopped constantly to take pics because it was so beautiful. We'd both come back next year and do the proper full course.
IMG_0263-5K.jpg

After the run, we heard about checking out Pebble Beach, so we rented his and hers Interceptors and rode up and down the 17mile Drive. These things wheelie really easy - highly recommended! I also loved riding these bikes and blowing past the spandex wearing cyclists while pedalling backwards.
IMG_0304-4K.jpg

Next we head north.

We had a friend who lived in the area and he suggested some nice roads to check out between Monterey and San Fran.
1714836925778.png

We stopped just north of Santa Cruz in the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, which has some beautiful redwoods and hiking trails.
IMG_2519-4K.jpg

IMG_8184-4K.jpg

Once you start riding north of LA, the elevation changes along the coast become more pronounced and the roads become more free flowing and scenic, as opposed to the PCH south of LA which can be pretty well travelled and much flatter. The views are awesome and neverending.
IMG_2528-4K.jpg

While in San Fran I made sure to ride 2up on Lombard Street to freak out my wife a bit:):1714837487961.png

IMG_2545-4K.jpg

We have one more day here so we decide to ride north to Bodega Bay, since it has the perfect mix of coastal roads and twisties.
1714837886719-png.67562

IMG_8214-4K.jpg

Overall the trip was amazing, the bike was perfect for what we wanted out of it and the weather was amazing every day. Next year I hope to ride there and back instead of flying, but if I had to rent, at least it's possible to rent a bike in Seattle and drop it off in San Fran.
If you have never ridden the west coast before - go do it.
IMG_8215-4K.jpg

Attachments

• 1714837886719.png
    1714837886719.png
    416.9 KB · Views: 45
There's a dozen roads that connect 101 and I5 across California north of San Francisco that are amazing. You could spend a week riding back and forth through the various canyon roads and never have a bad minute. There's also a stretch of 101 that runs through the various redwood forest parks at the top of California on either side of Crescent City that are incredible, with road camber so extreme it feels a bit like a rollercoaster. When I lived in BC, we rarely went south of the Napa Valley, as the traffic and crazy levels both skyrocket when you get to San Fran (though Portland is also weirdly aggro).

None of it compares to eastern Oregon for amazing roads with nobody on them, though...

There's a dozen roads that connect 101 and I5 across California north of San Francisco that are amazing. You could spend a week riding back and forth through the various canyon roads and never have a bad minute. There's also a stretch of 101 that runs through the various redwood forest parks at the top of California on either side of Crescent City that are incredible, with road camber so extreme it feels a bit like a rollercoaster. When I lived in BC, we rarely went south of the Napa Valley, as the traffic and crazy levels both skyrocket when you get to San Fran (though Portland is also weirdly aggro).

None of it compares to eastern Oregon for amazing roads with nobody on them, though...
Well then it sounds like the way to do the next ride is to head south from Seattle to San Fran along the coast and then ride back up to Seattle by taking as many interior roads as time allows. Thanks for the tip on eastern Oregon and will for sure keep that in mind.

Well then it sounds like the way to do the next ride is to head south from Seattle to San Fran along the coast and then ride back up to Seattle by taking as many interior roads as time allows. Thanks for the tip on eastern Oregon and will for sure keep that in mind.

Unless Seattle itself is a destination (though it should be, it's a fantastic city and way better to visit than both Portland and Vancouver), I'd skip Washington state. WDOT is cheap, and their roads show it with lots of potholes and gravel. Oregon couldn't be more different. ODOT spends a lot on their roads, and the asphalt is mostly mint. It helps that Eastern Oregon is quite dry, almost desert, so they have fewer issues with frost and heave.

Add that almost nobody lives there and it's not on the way to anywhere, so you mostly get the place to yourself. We'd usually see a few slow '80s pickups driven by men in unironic cowboy hats over the course of a day, and they were almost unfailingly polite, pulling over to let us pass at the first opportunity. Almost zero police, too.

I have a riding buddy in BC who heads down there at least three times a year, so if you ever plan a trip, shoot me a message and I'll pick his brain for the best routes and stops.

Eastern Washington and western Idaho have some fantastic roads and not much traffic at all. Great pavement too. Lewiston and Moscow ID area.

This is new
Oregon motorists can now pump their own gas for the first time in 72 years, following a new law ending the decades-old ban on self-serve gas stations. Gov. Tina Kotek signed a bill on August 4 that allows people across the state to choose to grab a nozzle or let an attendant pump their fuel.8 Aug 2023
Seattle is great as a city but of course it rains and rains. You can visit the original Star Bucks, take the monorail to the crazy Frank Gehry designed Museum of Modern Culture, go up the Space Needle, Museum of Flight etc etc
I rarely like cities but Seattle ranks way up there along with San Francisco. We find Hop on Hop off bus tours with the second floor open top and commentary a low stress way to visit....if it doesn't rain.:rolleyes:

Mount Ranier only has 30 days of clear weather a year and we happened to get 3 of them in a row.
You get an idea of the size of the beast ...the Coastal Rockies look like foothills.

I suspect there is some good riding to be had in the Ranier area.. If that monster ever goes off it will put a real dent in the US GDP...and it is active.
Part of the same chain but smaller we really enjoyed Mount St Helens a little further south. The remaining devastation is awesome.

The Olympic Peninsula is gorgeous.

The downside of the whole shaky coast is the fog and rain...when the off shore fog bank decides to visit, and it tends to daily....it's 10 kph and next to zero viz :eek:...and oh yeah...🥶🥶🥶
The other downside on the coast is the traffic....and some insane drivers trying to pass,
Final resting place of an unlucky bicyclist who encountered one
1714919743419.png

Pelican Brew Pub on the coast is a great place to stop for lunch and a sample
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at May, 6    2024    12.48.50 AM.jpg

Two up with plenty of time???.....glorious. (y)
We finally abandoned the coastal fog and the inland roads were empty and lovely

Thanks for the memories Shane.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom