C8 Corvette | GTAMotorcycle.com

C8 Corvette

Gary

Site Supporter
After months of delays, the new, mid engine C8 is set to be unveiled mid July.
No more front engine corvette.
Should it still be called a corvette? I don't think so.
Thoughts?
The final C7 to be built is going to be a black Z06, and be auctioned off at the autumn Barrett Jackson.
I'll guess R Hendrick buys it.

Because.
If they've ran out of ideas to enhance the C7 / front engine design......bury it. Name it something fresh.
Interior design may have some semblance, but the rest?

I have no problem with it still being called a Corvette. I hope it’s as useable as the current car though and not price themselves out of the market.

Because.
If they've ran out of ideas to enhance the C7 / front engine design......bury it. Name it something fresh.
Interior design may have some semblance, but the rest?
Why? The name sells.

Again, if the name does not tie into the layout what's the difference?

Why? The name sells.

Again, if the name does not tie into the layout what's the difference?

Then call it a Civik.
(you actually think the name sells it?)

If the name doesn't tie into the layout........you've answered your question.

Corvette is the iconic name for GM's Top of the line sports coupe. I feel the name still applies. It's evolved.

As far as I can tell, the front-engine Corvette is planned to continue alongside the mid-engine model, at least for some time.

That kinda suggests that the mid-engine model is going to be a wee bit expensive, and will probably replace the high-end Vette models (Z06 etc) and the front-engine will be kept for the lesser models and to placate those who insist on having either a manual transmission or a front-engine layout.

Then call it a Civik.
(you actually think the name sells it?)

If the name doesn't tie into the layout........you've answered your question.
I do actually think the name sells.

I don't think you understand the real cost associated with a brand/model/program. I work in automotive mfg, it's a complete mad house.

Food for thought, if Honda suddenly announced the Civic was being retired and their new econo-box model was introduced as 'Cup of Coffee', do you think it would still put up equal sales?

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the front-engine Corvette is planned to continue alongside the mid-engine model, at least for some time.

That kinda suggests that the mid-engine model is going to be a wee bit expensive, and will probably replace the high-end Vette models (Z06 etc) and the front-engine will be kept for the lesser models and to placate those who insist on having either a manual transmission or a front-engine layout.

It doesn't sound like the front engine car is still going to be available. I think this is a mistake on GM's part.

I do actually think the name sells.

I don't think you understand the real cost associated with a brand/model/program. I work in automotive mfg, it's a complete mad house.

Food for thought, if Honda suddenly announced the Civic was being retired and their new econo-box model was introduced as 'Cup of Coffee', do you think it would still put up equal sales?

Lol. I've been retired from the auto industry longer than you've been in it.

If honda stuffed the engine behind the passenger compatment in the civic, should it still be called a civic?

Brian: the rumour is over. Side by side production is not happening. The last C7 to be sold at Mohegan Sun Barrett Jackson in the fall.

Pricing (rumoured) to be $5K US more on the base model (up from 460hp to 500hp).

Lol. I've been retired from the auto industry longer than you've been in it.

If honda stuffed the engine behind the passenger compatment in the civic, should it still be called a civic?

Brian: the rumour is over. Side by side production is not happening. The last C7 to be sold at Mohegan Sun Barrett Jackson in the fall.

Pricing (rumoured) to be $5K US more on the base model (up from 460hp to 500hp).

Oh please, spare me. :rolleyes:

Names do matter. Nobody was impressed when Chevrolet foisted the mid-80s "Nova" on the world:

800px-1988_Chevrolet_Nova_liftback_when_new%2C_front_left.jpg

It almost always happens that Detroit takes a "sacred" name and plonks it on a piece of ****. This looks to be different though: What is (apparently) about to replace the C7 seems worthy to inherit the name. Other things that make a Corvette a Corvette -- leaf spring suspension, fiberglass body pieces, for example -- well, good riddance. Why might the drivetrain layout?

As long as it's better than its forebear in its primary mission, I'm okay with it. What "worries" (figuratively; I've no plan to buy a Corvette...) me is that the resulting exotic will be pushed even further into One Percenter territory.

According to the most reliable industry insiders, the new models shouldn't be much more expensive than the current models they will replace. If it's going to retain the Corvette moniker, it needs to continue being the great value it's always been.

Supposedly all will be revealed on 18 July 2019.

If they've kept the pricing in check then it doesn't make sense for the front-engine model to continue; production volumes are too low. I have a friend who has a C7 with manual transmission ... he's keeping it.

Looks like a Ferrari and NSX got put in a blender together and this is the result.

I was a big fan of the old 68-73 Vettes, to me that car had wonderful curves and it was completely unlike any other car on the road.

Supposedly all will be revealed on 18 July 2019.

If they've kept the pricing in check then it doesn't make sense for the front-engine model to continue; production volumes are too low. I have a friend who has a C7 with manual transmission ... he's keeping it.

A tad more precise..... 7.18.19.
Why?
Because that was the time the C8 posted at the Nurburgring.
I'm not a fan of the C8 either. I'm keeping my C7 (m7) Z06 too.
The C3 was my fav too.
Then the C7 came along.

Back
Top Bottom