Buying out of province | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying out of province

Hack

'looking through the Ontario Min. of Trans./Service Ontario site... I can't find the answer...

If someone where to go out of province to buy a new vehicle, temp tag it and bring it home... Would they have to pay any HST when they go to register it in Ontario...
everything I read has to do with buying a used car and "importing" it into Ontario... I'm talking about buying/paying/registering in another province, and bringing it back... registering it to ME in Ontario... As if I had moved here to Ontario.

Last edited:
If you are buying new, the dealer should charge you the taxes based on your province and give you temp plate to travel with, or the NVIS for the vehicle then you register in Ontario when you return.

Anytime I've sold a new vehicle to out of province that's how I've done it, but it may vary from province to province.

The dealer should be able to guide you through this.

'looking through the Ontario Min. of Trans./Service Ontario site... I can't find the answer...

If someone where to go out of province to buy a new vehicle, temp tag it and bring it home... Would they have to pay any HST when they go to register it in Ontario...
everything I read has to do with buying a used car and "importing" it into Ontario... I'm talking about buying/paying/registering in another province, and bringing it back... registering it to ME in Ontario... As if I had moved here to Ontario.
yes, if you`re plating it in another province you would pay taxes to register/plate it there. you would then pay taxes again in ontario when 'transfering' the registration. you can then submit a claim to have the out of provinces taxes reimbursed.

If you are buying new, the dealer should charge you the taxes based on your province and give you temp plate to travel with
Taxes should be charged based on where delivery takes place. If it is picked up at the dealer then the taxes should be charged as a local buyer. If it is shipped to the buyer in their home province then it is charged at their tax rate.

yes, if you`re plating it in another province you would pay taxes to register/plate it there. you would then pay taxes again in ontario when 'transfering' the registration.

So you're saying everyone who say relocates to Ontario has to pay taxes on the car they already own..??

So you're saying everyone who say relocates to Ontario has to pay taxes on the car they already own..??
i see.

no the Quebec dealer (for example) would likely charge you HST at Ontario % at the time of sale. If I recall they go by what's on your drivers license.

i see.

no the Quebec dealer (for example) would likely charge you HST at Ontario % at the time of sale. If I recall they go by what's on your drivers license.

Where's it written you have to have a DL to buy a car..?? Lol

Where's it written you have to have a DL to buy a car..?? Lol
unless you pay in full doesn't it need insurance? don't you need a DL for insurance?

:D

unless you pay in full doesn't it need insurance? don't you need a DL for insurance?

:D

Well... Of course the vehicle needs to be insured to be registered/licensed for road use

Whoever's driving needs a DL.

The point i was making is that where does it say you need a DL to buy a vehicle..?
All you should need is money.

Well... Of course the vehicle needs to be insured to be registered/licensed for road use

Whoever's driving needs a DL.

The point i was making is that where does it say you need a DL to buy a vehicle..?
All you should need is money.
i got your point, i'm just being a smartass.

i got your point, i'm just being a smartass.

Don't ever change... :)

It may end up as a non-starter... 'Will have to make a call or two on Monday.
On the surface it appears what I'm looking for is much more available and priced somewhat lower than here in Ontario, and... I hafta go out there soon anyway so.... 'Worth looking into.
Even if I were to just break even $-wise it may be the way to go...

Paging @PrivatePilot i know he bought a car in QC and drove it back to Ontario. He may have some input.

I was under the impression you pay tax at the place of delivery. And then ask for a refund when you leave the province for reimbursement.

You pay HST in Ontario once the car is registered here.

Paging @PrivatePilot i know he bought a car in QC and drove it back to Ontario. He may have some input.

I was under the impression you pay tax at the place of delivery. And then ask for a refund when you leave the province for reimbursement.

You pay HST in Ontario once the car is registered here.

This what i have to get the final word on... what's the cut off?
I cannot fathom being required to pay HST on something I already own...

In a nutshell... Buying a vehicle in Sask.... Hell, register and plate it there... drive home and then register/plate it here...
It's the same as if one were to move... Of course it wouldn't surprise me if Ont wants taxes...Lol

I'll find out Monday :)

Lot of variables in this one. Will SK let you register a vehicle without an SK address or drivers license?
Taxes? 11% hst v 13% in ON
Safety? Some provinces are way less stringent than others.

Good luck. Super curious what’s that rare here that you’re buying out there. Feel free to DM me if you don’t want someone pulling an @PrivatePilot on you.

Wow didn’t know the F150 market is that bad. Pretty sure I saw some on a ford lot in Orangeville today while passing by….but wasn’t really paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom