Buying first dirt bike - am I doing this right? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying first dirt bike - am I doing this right?

there's tons of early 2000's 250 4 strokes on kijiji. Riding a 250 on the street is not going to be like riding a 250 on a dirt trail surrounded by trees and stuff to jump off of.

A 250 street bike motor is still not the same as a 250 MX motor. Compare the WR250X motor and a YZ250F motor and the power delivery is quite different... Even have different transmissions for being "almost" the same motor.

Yeah for sure its thumper vs 2 cylinder. A 250 thumper would still be boring on the street tho, was just making a general point.

GAH I just missed a 92 RM250 in Oshawa for 600. No matter the shape I wouldve saved enough to spend a bit of cash getting it right again, but the guy insists it was a good runner

I dunno about that, I rode the 230 four and it was like riding a 250 street again. BUT, this is one of the very few I have ridden so what the hell do I know. Does a 250 four compare to a 125 2t?

a 230 and a 250mx bike are not even on the same planet.

That's a steal! What kind of shape was it in? I sold my 04 YZ250F last June and got $3200 for it... But, my dirt bikes are kept pretty much as mint as you can keep them, since I race I keep them tip-top... Which is why when I see bikes that are "trail ridden, never raced" in ads, I tend to think those ones have LESS maintenance done to them. Almost every racer I know changes air filters through the race day/weekend and is on time with oil changes. I get about 4 or 5 runs on the track between air filter changes, and oil is done basically after every 2 or 3 races. Guys are always going over their bikes at the track.

not bad...could have rode it as it was, but did chain and sprockets, valve adjustment, spark plug and filter. It had a bunch of aftermarket parts on it too. Thing runs mint and is a blast

not bad...could have rode it as it was, but did chain and sprockets, valve adjustment, spark plug and filter. It had a bunch of aftermarket parts on it too. Thing runs mint and is a blast
That's pretty awesome. Chain and sprockets are at least a once a season thing anyways, same as valve checks, filters are every couple hours and I change spark plugs fairly regularly so I'd say you made off pretty well!

Bit the bullet, got a 96 CR250R for 1500. I'll just have to not be an idiot. Looking for helmet and boots next week.

Bit the bullet, got a 96 CR250R for 1500. I'll just have to not be an idiot. Looking for helmet and boots next week.

My SCORRA forum avatar is still of my '96 cr250 - I loved that bike and wish I never sold it, you'll have a blast!!

file.php

Well so much for that the guy just messaged me this morning, returned my deposit - "i sold it to my neighbor last night"

Jerk.

Back
Top Bottom