Buying first dirt bike - am I doing this right? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying first dirt bike - am I doing this right?

[evo]

Site Supporter
Lets get this out of the way, I'm 6'0 and 220lbs.

Been looking at some 91 CR125's, they are in my price range and I've heard good things. Havent ridden any yet, but I have also been offered a 91 RM125 with headwork. I've never run a 2t before and don't know what to look for mechanically engine wise when I go to check out these bikes, so would appreciate some advice there.

Also, I'm a little confused about registration. From what I've read, it would seem If I'm on my own property, or private property with land owners consent, I dont need anything. If I want to hit Ganny or any county approved trails, I'll need a green plate + insurance. For places like Gopher dunes, the ins is covered in the fees & waiver, but would I still need a green plate? Maybe this is all simpler than I'm seeing it, but so far it just looks like another Ontario-typical mess.

My brother (who is much smaller than me) just bought a CRF230F, and its nice thats its quiet and all, but riding it around the parking lot really left me thinking it was lacking in power. I think the 125's should smoke that thing right?

I'm off to research some gear now, all I have is street stuff. I'll pop back in later and hopefully do a little more learnin! Thanks!

6.0 and 220 might be a little big for a 125. And yes the CR 125R will smoke the 230F. You probably want a CR250R

6.0 and 220 might be a little big for a 125. And yes the CR 125R will smoke the 230F. You probably want a CR250R

Guess I'll have to give one a go and find out. It's my first dirt ride so I want to be somewhat conservative as I am a bit of a nut.

why so old?

These bikes take a beating most times, there is A LOT to look out for.

Price, mainly. I don't want to drop much more than $1500 on this as its just a toy that I'll use to go out riding with my brother every couple of weekends as he will not ride street anymore. Factor in gear and such the more I can save on the bike the better. Also, I heard the generation after the 91 (hondas, not all colors) had pretty weak motors and I'd be better off with the prior. Could be wrong but thats just talking to some local riders who seem to know their stuff. I am pretty partial to the hondas, although I wont rule anything out.

As for the mechanics of it, I know my way around a street bike, and wont have any problems with the suspension, chain/sprockets, etc. Its the motor I don't know a damn thing about, the only 2t stuff I have are my chainsaws.

Last edited:
For $1500 you should be able to get something in the 99-2001 period.

Thats what I would be looking at for that price.

The honda motors were fine after 91, I dont know who told you that but its very wrong. Some people didnt like the direction they took after 96, but thats a power output and chassis design issue and not reliability.

If I was getting a bike that old, it would most likely be something I would be doing a complete disassemble and rebuild on.
I don't know how motors would suddenly get less reliable after 1991 considering they continue to get better and better.

Gopher dunes you don't need a plate to ride, but a 125 with a 220lb guy would have some real issues getting around that deep sand, but to rip around the trails there you'd be fine, as long as you're not really jumping the thing.

I'm off to research some gear now, all I have is street stuff. I'll pop back in later and hopefully do a little more learnin! Thanks!

You should check out Action sports in Aurora, http://www.auroraactionsports.ca/
They have a sale every Thurs. and Fri. from 11:00am to 4:00pm
Great deals on gear.

Please stick with a 125 if its your first dirt bike..... it will have pleant of power for you to get really comfortable with , then if its not enough you can go bigger, but a 250 2 stroke will put you on your ***** in a hurry if your not careful.
My brother (6'3 - 220 all muscle) just went through this, went out and bought a CR250R and finally sold it after 3 rides as it threw him off a few times and then he just started riding scared. He took my 125 out and had a blast so after looking for a 125, he settled on a 250F mostly for the engine braking and smoother power delivery.

If I was getting a bike that old, it would most likely be something I would be doing a complete disassemble and rebuild on.
I don't know how motors would suddenly get less reliable after 1991 considering they continue to get better and better.

Gopher dunes you don't need a plate to ride, but a 125 with a 220lb guy would have some real issues getting around that deep sand, but to rip around the trails there you'd be fine, as long as you're not really jumping the thing.

hadnt heard anything about reliability, just that the later motors were kind of doggish compared to earlier ones. Either way its hearsay, thats why im asking you :)

I have a 1999 honda cr250 for sale if your interested, see the bikes for sale adds for details

That's a bit more than I'm wanting to spend, gotta buy dirt gear as well otherwise I'd be asking for pics.

Please stick with a 125 if its your first dirt bike..... it will have pleant of power for you to get really comfortable with , then if its not enough you can go bigger, but a 250 2 stroke will put you on your ***** in a hurry if your not careful.
My brother (6'3 - 220 all muscle) just went through this, went out and bought a CR250R and finally sold it after 3 rides as it threw him off a few times and then he just started riding scared. He took my 125 out and had a blast so after looking for a 125, he settled on a 250F mostly for the engine braking and smoother power delivery.

Ive had a few street crashes, so thats why im looking at the 125's. Gimme a season or two on it and I know I'll be looking at a 250, but for now a 125 is where its at unless I find a deal too good to pass up. On the bright side, I do have the option of that RM125 thats had headwork done. A fair middle ground if you will.

I paid $2000 last september for my first dirt bike, a 2004 KX250F. Just get a 250 four stroke.

I paid $2000 last september for my first dirt bike, a 2004 KX250F. Just get a 250 four stroke.

I dunno about that, I rode the 230 four and it was like riding a 250 street again. BUT, this is one of the very few I have ridden so what the hell do I know. Does a 250 four compare to a 125 2t?

I dunno about that, I rode the 230 four and it was like riding a 250 street again. BUT, this is one of the very few I have ridden so what the hell do I know. Does a 250 four compare to a 125 2t?

A newer 250 4 stroke is light years ahead of a 230. It will also be a lot more forgiving in the woods than a 2 stroke 125. But if you manage to find one in your price range it will be a basketcase.

I paid $1500 for my RM last year and other than relacing the rear wheel, everything else I've spent on it has been optional.

That's a steal! What kind of shape was it in? I sold my 04 YZ250F last June and got $3200 for it... But, my dirt bikes are kept pretty much as mint as you can keep them, since I race I keep them tip-top... Which is why when I see bikes that are "trail ridden, never raced" in ads, I tend to think those ones have LESS maintenance done to them. Almost every racer I know changes air filters through the race day/weekend and is on time with oil changes. I get about 4 or 5 runs on the track between air filter changes, and oil is done basically after every 2 or 3 races. Guys are always going over their bikes at the track.

a 230 compared to my 250 would be a joke. I think those 230s only rev to maybe 9000rpm? My 250 is good for 14,500 I think. The power hit is totally different, the frames are totally different, and I would most likely implode a 230s suspension in a few laps. Not comparible in any way.

If you COULD get a 250 fourstroke, I'd say go for it. You can lug them around in the lower RPM, and when you're ready, you can have some play time!

there's tons of early 2000's 250 4 strokes on kijiji. Riding a 250 on the street is not going to be like riding a 250 on a dirt trail surrounded by trees and stuff to jump off of.

Back
Top Bottom