Buying a bike in Quebec to license in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike in Quebec to license in Ontario

xrljoel

I'm certain somebody, (probably several somebodies) has experience bring a Quebec bike into Ontario, or perhaps there's already a thread you could point me to.

The prices of used bikes seem to be considerably lower in Quebec (for what I'm looking for) than here in Ontario in general and the GTA specifically. I'm looking at a couple that are for sale at dealers, and while one is in Gatineau who says they can register it in Ontario, the other is just near Montreal.

Thanks for whatever advice you can provide.

They probably can register it in ontario because gatinaeu is right beside ottawa, the others probably cannot. If you buy it from a dealer and they register it in your name with an ontario ownership then you're basically good to go. If you dont have the bike registered in your name and you have a QC ownership then the process is basically the same as any other used sale, you will have to have the bike safetied and goto service ontario blah blah you know the drill. You will be taxed twice and will have to fill out a form VD-60.R and mail it to revenue quebec and then pray they send you your QST back. I am currently twiddling my thumbs waiting for those dollars back. The federal tax portion of the transaction will not be charged twice. When you goto service ontario you will pay the difference between the HST rate and the QST to bring the total tax paid to 13%. Total tax in QC is 15% you will save 2% in tax as well. Some dealers will refund you the QST on the spot if you use the form VD-60.R to transfer the right to the QST refund to the seller. If they are giving you a QC ownership ask them to refund the QST. You can post your bike on Uship.com to find a shipper, thats what I did, was pretty cheap. Or I could recommend the shipper that I used, very professional not a mark on the bike.

When I bought the CBF from Quebec the cop that owned it met me in Ottawa at an MOT office and transferred the ownership.

I think it's one of those two options dealer or a cooperative seller but I'm no expert on it. Oh and he got the safety at a local CT.

Make SURE it doesn't have a salvage or a rebuilt title. I believe Quebec is one of the few select provinces that allow write off motorcycles to be re-registered as "Rebuilt", but that brand follows the VIN and in Ontario you will never be able to put it on the road as Ontario prohibits any MC carrying a salvage or rebuilt branding from ever being listed as "FIT" again.

Due diligence is extremely important for bikes. Or anything coming out of Quebec, for that matter.

Thanks for all the helpful input.

I was most curious about the tax issue and you have cleared that up for me. The meeting in Ontario idea is a good one if I buy private and though I was aware of the rebuilt issue in Quebec I do appreciate the reminder.

Yep, ive got lots of customers buying bikes out of Quebec now. And they are getting great deals too ..

Ive only had 1 guy buy a bike privately, and found out that when he went to register it here that it was salvaged.

Yep, ive got lots of customers buying bikes out of Quebec now. And they are getting great deals too ..

Ive only had 1 guy buy a bike privately, and found out that when he went to register it here that it was salvaged.

I paid 5300 for my 2016 636 with 12,000 kms on it and it is the KRT ABS model. Too good of a price, seemed to good to be true

I lol when I look on kijiji and see bikes over 10 years old with double the mileage for $7,000

if it’s a dealer, they are well versed in how to register it across the border. Otherwise it’s not that complicated to do it yourself.

Bad titles get washed in ontario too, I dont know if you've opened a newspaper recently and read about the theft rings recently taken down... Not my bike anyway, lots of reputable dealers in quebec to deal with.

Bad titles get washed in ontario too, I dont know if you've opened a newspaper recently and read about the theft rings recently taken down... Not my bike anyway, lots of reputable dealers in quebec to deal with.

You're acting like I said yours was or something. It's pretty common knowledge that historically a lot of title washed vehicles end up for sale in Quebec. It's okay you didn't know that. Of course it happens everywhere, but not nearly as much. All I said was be careful lol.

You're acting like I said yours was or something. It's pretty common knowledge that historically a lot of title washed vehicles end up for sale in Quebec. It's okay you didn't know that. Of course it happens everywhere, but not nearly as much. All I said was be careful lol.

You can research a vehicles history. Doesn’t take a genius to order a carfax and look for an irregularity. Did you research the vehicles you have bought in the past? Probably not. Quebec is great for getting a deal and the seller I dealt with was extremely professional.

II know this is 2 years old space but you can register a rebuilt bike it needs to be appraised and is very few insurance companies that will cover it I know this because my 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90 has a rebuilt title and I've been on the road 4 years now and I live in Ontario
Make SURE it doesn't have a salvage or a rebuilt title. I believe Quebec is one of the few select provinces that allow write off motorcycles to be re-registered as "Rebuilt", but that brand follows the VIN and in Ontario you will never be able to put it on the road as Ontario prohibits any MC carrying a salvage or rebuilt branding from ever being listed as "FIT" again.

Due diligence is extremely important for bikes. Or anything coming out of Quebec, for that matter.

II know this is 2 years old space but you can register a rebuilt bike it needs to be appraised and is very few insurance companies that will cover it I know this because my 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90 has a rebuilt title and I've been on the road 4 years now and I live in Ontario

It wasn’t branded if you were able to register it here.

Right from the MTO website:

1661720550918.png

My apologies I just just checked my paper work and my bike had a frame replacement so its a rebuild title the old frame was a right off.

Back
Top Bottom