Butt hurts when sitting on bike after certain period | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Butt hurts when sitting on bike after certain period

I couldn't sit on my stock sv650 seat for more than 45 minutes. Placed an ad on kijiji looking for a used Corbin. Got lucky and picked one up for $75.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Very few riders I know, especially the ones that do significant time in the saddle are on their OEM seat.
I rode my FJR one season before deciding I'd had enough with the OEM seat...
'Went with a Sargent which greatly increased the length of time I could ride... I'm talking going from a couple of hours tops on the OEM to all day... ten hours on the Sargent.
From what I researched... it's as if most OEM seats are built exactly opposite of how a comfortable seat should be.

I've tried the sheepskin...didn't do a thing for me. Beads, a little bit better. I've had the best luck with AirHawk. It's adjustable, cheap, and has really worked well. I regret that I sold it with my bike, so just found a front/rear set online for a steal and will be putting it on the Rebel today.

My Honda Shadow (used) came with a Mustang seat. Made the world of difference. When I bought my ST1300, I upgraded the stock seat to a Russel Daylong. It was because I personally witnessed the difference the stock seat vs. aftermarket that I didn't didn't hesitate on the ST. I never get sore sitting on either of these seats. Stock seats are typically garbage. Seat upgrades can be expensive but IMO well worth the investment.

I have Corbins on both of my bikes , I managed to get them both used , but they were still quite spendy …..

Saddles are one of those things that you will have to figure out for yourself. So many factors. I have generally gone with Sargent for an aftermarket seat. I have not upgrade the seat on my current bike I opted for a cheaper solution to see how well it worked and it actually does a pretty good job adding comfort for all day riding... those ugly looking seat beads. They make the bike look horrible but offer a level of comfort I could not believe from hard beads.

That being said it is always an experiment, try some things and see how it goes but generally a good aftermarket seat is going to give the best results.

Seat really changes if you move your controls, does your bike allow for changes to the bars or footpegs that might make the existing saddle work better?

or does that model simply have an uncomfortable saddle? like my sea-doo does :unsure:
my MV Agusta has virtually no padding at all but you ride that thing on the footpegs much of the time anyway.

When it comes to rider comfort, no group knows more about it that the IronButt Association. Now, if you've ever spent any time in an IBA forum you know that there isn't much that they will all agree on. Everyone of them has a different solution for every problem but there is one thing that they pretty well all agree is the best thing for butt comfort and that is LD Comfort underwear. Men's Shorts - LDComfort - Tri Monte Group Inc DBA LDComfort I have just ordered a pair myself after so many recommendations. The only thing that comes close to being as universally loved as LD Comfort is an RDL Saddle. The shorts are a whole lot cheaper to try first though!

I bought an Airhawk for my IBA ride. Works great for me. No butt pain even after 20hrs. I typically start feeling the butt pain after about 2hrs on the saddle. Just make sure you follow the inflation instructions.

As mentioned above, a lot of oem motorcycle seats are narrower at the front - helps shorter riders reach the ground. Also, the foam type/density may not be ideal.

Compare the shape of the OEM Gladius seat vs the Corbin. If you're not inseam-challenged, then a wider flatter seat will provide more support, and less pressure points, and possibly the quality of the foam helps here as well. More of your thigh is supported, taking pressure off the sit bones.
fevfiXz.jpg

xE5qUZr.jpg

You can try to replace the foam and reshape, replacing the OEM cover. I've been told that you'll need an air-powered/upholstery stapler if you want to DIY.
9bfzTJS.jpg

I recently picked up a new bike, and yes, not surprising the seat sucks. On previous bikes I had aftermarkets seats. I had picked up a used Corbin for my R80RT, and it worked well. For my R1150RS I sent it to Rick Mayer to be reshaped. That also worked well, but he is no longer in business. These days I see Sargent mentioned quite a lot. I have an opportunity to purchase a Sargent seat at a discunt at the BMW rally this June in Tennessee. Not having to pay GST and shipping to Canada is a bonus. That being said, those of you with a Sargent seat, how satisfied are you? Do you like it? Hate it? Would you purchase it again?

I'm going to post the obvious comment, in that most Asian kids don't have an arse so they need help in the area that need padding.

Tight shorts underneath will help with the "jiggle" factor. Keeping the stuff you do have compressed which will help with fatigue and soreness.

After that seat, suspension and assessment of controls being in correct placement can also be a factor. Plus riding position. I see many riders trying to tuck on bikes which the road, nor the speed is optimal. If you are trying to "get small" on a bike then chose an appropriate bike for your tours. The SV is pretty upright, maybe drop the bars to get into a more comfy position.

Big x2 on the Airhawk. You can often find them used for under $100 and it's going to be one of the cheaper options out there worth trying to see if it helps..and if not, you'll have no issue selling it again.

I have an Ultimate seat on my bike and it's comfortable for me up to about an 8 hour riding day, but if I know at the beginning of the day I'm riding longer than that I put my Airhawk on and I'm gold. I did a 19 hour Iron Butt last year and when I got off the bike I was perfectly comfortable still - could have got back on and kept going.

And yes, follow the inflation directions. Too many people don't read the directions and inflate them like a balloon and then say they hate them. When they're properly inflated they look virtually flat. You may have to experiment a little to find the perfect amount of air based on your weight, size, seat shape, etc etc. Once you get it right, you'll probably love it.

If your but hurts, toughen up! I have bikes from the 70's 80's 90's and the current century -- none hurt my butt.

Motorcycling can be tough, when the going gets tough the tough get going!

Yeah Airhawk tho they are too pricey. I also like the Beadrider. No amount of "toughen up" will solve sciatic pain. :rolleyes:

Adventure Motoskivvies worked very well in Australia for long days.
The CB500x without either the Airhawk or the Motoskivvies gets my sciatica going in a very short ride - something in the shape of the seat. I wish Sargent made a seat for it.....they do for the CB750x but not the 500.

Best seat by far was the RDL with the backrest 1,000 km days in comfort.....but $$$

squats helped me big time... assisted /sissy sqauts help as well... no weigh squats help...basically squats help!!

Back
Top Bottom