building a PC geek talk... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

building a PC geek talk...

Built my first Intel Pentium 200 back in '97. Diamond Monster 3d graphics. Wasn't all that competitive at Quake with a US Robotics 33k modem but there were only a few regulars who could best me on my particular server. All of them were LPB's playing off the server.

You clearly know your **** if you're using that site. The rest of you...wtf lol

@wonderings What monitor are you using? I've noticed a really common mistakes with PC building is no one factors in monitor costs. I'm using a X34 Predator that I got for a friend used; I would NEVER go back to a peasant monitor. Makes no sense to buy a decent GPU and use a **** monitor/TV for gaming.

My build is finished, went pretty easy to my surprise. The only hiccup was there is only one RGB connector on the motherboard that works for the case fans but the CPU cooler that has RGB has no where to plug in. Not something I want to spend money on to add as I don't care all that much about the lights and not displaying it anywhere.

I bought a Samsung 4K 27" curved screen with 144mhz and 4ms. I am no pro gamer, I dabble in some games, cause some havoc in GTA and venture into VR every now and then on my rift. I am happy with the screen, smooth images as well as a quality picture though still does not compare to my 5K iMac screen.

Built my first Intel Pentium 200 back in '97. Diamond Monster 3d graphics. Wasn't all that competitive at Quake with a US Robotics 33k modem but there were only a few regulars who could best me on my particular server. All of them were LPB's playing off the server.
Yes i had a 4MB Diamond Viper IIRC, then i discovered OpenGL in Quake2 and never went back. Scrimped and saved for Voodoo 2 12MB in SLI.

Also had a 33.6k, just had to get really good at prediction shots.

If anyone has a suggestion for a black friday "pubg" build, lemme know... looking for a mobo/cpu/vid card combo for under $1000 that will play pubg as well as possible. Currently have a gtx970 and i5-3470 and only get about 60fps with everything turned to "crap" quality.

If anyone has a suggestion for a black friday "pubg" build, lemme know... looking for a mobo/cpu/vid card combo for under $1000 that will play pubg as well as possible. Currently have a gtx970 and i5-3470 and only get about 60fps with everything turned to "crap" quality.

Why not just upgrade the gpu and cpu rather then a whole new build? Should keep you in that $1000 range, or close to it.

CPU is outdated socket (big surprise - story of my life with pc upgrades). Looked at that and the fastest lg1155 socket cpu would cost me 500 bones for a 9 percent speed increase.
Do you really need a new cpu? Almost everything is gpu bound, it may be worth a shot to try just a video card and see what that does for you. See if you can borrow something from a friend to run the test so you know what you need when black friday rolls around.

As for the socket. F intel. They have proven that they monkey with the sockets just to screw consumers. Sure, you need to change things occasionally, but the primary driver for intel seems to be driving sales not upgrading for performance reasons.

I play csgo at 250fps and can headshot like a mofo, but pubg is a different beast and it is one big fat pig when it comes to cpu consumption. My cpu usage is maxed at 100 percent the whole time I play the game, even in the lobby lol.

I used to spend a fortune on the most high end mobos but learned my lesson after the first couple of hits. I got this mobo/cpu combo back in 2014 so it has done me ‘well’ considering.

$1,000 bare bones pubg build may still not be possible, even during Black Friday. Too bad the game is so damn fun :p

Some of my money pits

... my home server : dual xeon e5620, 64gb ecc, over 20tb zfs raidz2

... my dd: thinkpad p series i7, 2x512gb ssd in raid 0, 32gb ram, 4k display

.. my firewall: pfsense on a c2d

... network equipment: Mikrotik and Cisco

... Misc: UPSs everywhere

not sure of the AMD processors and how it stacks up, but this is a PC from Canada computers with a 1060 cpu, 16 gigs of ram, 256 ssd and 1tb hd.
Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics

Sitting just above $1000.00

That comes with practically everything except the stuff I need lol. It doesn't even have a discrete graphics card much better than the 970 and the cpu is worse for gaming than what I'm currently using.

I'm becoming less convinced I should upgrade this fall... even my gtx970 is apparently "decent" for gaming in 2019. As much as I love pubg, I don't feel like spending $1500 to get a "few more frags".

That comes with practically everything except the stuff I need lol. It doesn't even have a discrete graphics card much better than the 970 and the cpu is worse for gaming than what I'm currently using.

I'm becoming less convinced I should upgrade this fall... even my gtx970 is apparently "decent" for gaming in 2019. As much as I love pubg, I don't feel like spending $1500 to get a "few more frags".

Sorry - my mistake, that cpu is actually faster than mine so that cpu might be an option... I just need to find a combo that doesn't include all the peripherals since I don't need to upgrade those.

Huh? 1060 6 gig is a competent card. Probably sideways from your 970 though. Your problem is to get a worthwhile upgrade you need 1070 ti or better which are not cheap cards.

Huh? 1060 6 gig is a competent card. Probably sideways from your 970 though. Your problem is to get a worthwhile upgrade you need 1070 ti or better which are not cheap cards.

That build you linked is definitely be best option I've seen so far - I could always make use of the extra storage and sell my gtx970 to recoup some of the cost. Thanks - I'll keep my eye on a similar build closer to black friday when hopefully the prices drop futher.

That build you linked is definitely be best option I've seen so far - I could always make use of the extra storage and sell my gtx970 to recoup some of the cost. Thanks - I'll keep my eye on a similar build closer to black friday when hopefully the prices drop futher.

Or if you were to buy that computer, sell your 970 and sell the 1060 as well and use that money for a better cpu if needed, I am sure you could buy a 1070 which is a good card still.

I went on kijiji and found some great upgrades for 1K. I'm talking i7 7700k with mainboard, GTX1070 etc.

You clearly know your **** if you're using that site. The rest of you...wtf lol

@wonderings What monitor are you using? I've noticed a really common mistakes with PC building is no one factors in monitor costs. I'm using a X34 Predator that I got for a friend used; I would NEVER go back to a peasant monitor. Makes no sense to buy a decent GPU and use a **** monitor/TV for gaming.
I'm not so sure about that.
That site is good for beginners, as it shows some basic incompatibilities between components if you happen to pick the wrong ones.
Just make sure that you're on the Canadian side for prices and sellers, ca.pcpartpicker.com, unless you want to run to the border.

As for monitors, I can't afford a massive one yet, so I have 3 peasant 21 1/2"ers, and one fairly large 28" one. I got the peasants on a decent sale, so they're all 1 ms and decent quality. Big one has been giving me some problems lately, flicking on and off, I think they may have dropped or tossed the box it was in, as it seems like some sort of loose connection that has gotten worse over time.

Edit: I just noticed that NewEgg is gone from that site, and CanadaComputers is back. It seems like every once in a while they have some kind of dispute or something with one or more of the parts vendors.

I did not realize how much a difference a screen makes for games. For work a great screen is important but I am working with static images. I had an HP LED screen at home on my old PC, I liked it, modern look, integrated speakers and colours were pleasing for a 1080p monitor. With the new build I went 4K with 144mhz and the smoothness is incredible.

Ok here is a question regarding speakers. I have a little set I took from my workout room that I connected temporarily till I get something for the new PC. Now I have a full 5.1 home theatre surround sound system (Denon receiver, 2 tower speakers, 2 rear surround and a centre speaker + powered sub) sitting in my closest as I switched to a sound bar setup for simpler system. Would I have to use my receiver to plug into my computer and then run the 2 surround sound speakers? Or is there a simpler and smaller way to use speakers I already have. Not looking for a 5.1 surround sound system for the computer, basically just want to use the 2 surround sound speakers as computer speakers.

I would think that you'd need some sort of power amp to drive the speakers.

Back
Top Bottom