Brake light problem .. relay? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake light problem .. relay?

Kuro

Site Supporter
I have a set of integrated LED tail lights on an 03 636. Recently I discovered that the brake lights aren't coming on.
Both front and rear brake do not activate the tail brake light.

The day time lights are on, the turn signals both work.

Not a bulb problem, these are LEDs.
I checked fuses under the seat. All are OK
I checked wires and connections, nothing loose or shorting.
I jumped front brake lever connector with a wire. No effect.
I checked the pull mechanism on the foot brake to see if it was stuck in the on position. It was not stuck.
The brake light does not appear to be on all the time. The LEDs are usually much brighter when brake light activated.

It was working fine before, I didn't touch the lighting system at all.

After doing a bit of research, the only thing I can think of is that the relay thats added to slow the flashing down is somehow messed up. I didn't install this, it came with the bike when I bought it.

Somethings not adding up.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

It could be the integrated LED tail lights them self.

Get a voltmeter and check the positive side of the brake wire. Make sure you are getting +12V when you press the brakes. Also check the negative side with a Ohmmeter to make sure you have a solid connection.

OR you can just plug the original tail light back in to see if that works.

Can you replace electronic relay with the original relay and see if that works. I doubt it's the relay though.

I'm not quite sure which is which wire.
It was installed when I bought it.

I know which is left and right signals.

The orange and red twisted wires lead to nothing.
Green wire is left signal
Grey wire is right signal
I think that blue one is a ground.

Theres a red thick cable that seems to be power for the running lights? Not sure....
Then theres that bundle on the right which has a harness which leads to a relay.

I dont have any original lights so no lights or relays from the original. :(
Wouldn't the relay for the original lights not work for LEDs since they're designed for bulbs? (I think the original are bulbs anyway)

2013-06-21223901_zps7939dafa.jpg

Last edited:
There should be a plug coming out of it, going to stock harness. That would be your + for the brake and the -

Then another 2 wires coming out, those are + for the left and right signal.

Solved: AC helped me diagnose the issue. We did some power tracing pretty much how Splash mentioned and traced it to a broken connection where a splice was previously made in the brake light power wire. It was taped up very tight, and double taped, so I assumed theres no way it could be loose or broken but lo and behold, once untaped, it was indeed disconnected. My mistake was to make assumptions.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the Beer. I ment to ask you yesterday, do you want a trunk tray? Free.

I think I have a trunk tray actually. I can't remember why I took it out though... I think its because maybe the subcage bolts that I had to drill in block it from fitting properly or something.

Thanks though.

Solved: AC helped me diagnose the issue. We did some power tracing pretty much how Splash mentioned and traced it to a broken connection where a splice was previously made in the brake light power wire. It was taped up very tight, and double taped, so I assumed theres no way it could be loose or broken but lo and behold, once untaped, it was indeed disconnected. My mistake was to make assumptions.

Thanks all.

Thats a common problem from vibration & anything getting knocked around in the trunk. Try re-doing your wires with crimping instead of tape

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Thats a common problem from vibration & anything getting knocked around in the trunk. Try re-doing your wires with crimping instead of tape

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Solder!!! And heat wrap!

Yeah thats the best way. I just don't have an electrical socket for my soldering gun where my bike is. I should invest in a portable 12V car plug or something.

Back
Top Bottom