BPs new ride | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BPs new ride

That bike without the ability to wheelie seems criminal. Or is wheelie control computer controlled wheelies where you just whack the throttle open amd try not to fall off?

Theres so much adjustability with the electronics, tbh i've kinda lost track a bit, you can still wheelie in sport mode, but I guess at a certain point
the computer kicks in

With the optional pack you can modify everything control precisely and exactly how much TC you want, you can apparently also turn off rear abs if you want to 'back it in' (supermoto abs) and turn off wheelie control entirely

In addition you get up and down quick shifter

Im sure im missing stuff

Just read up on your new bike...does it include a course to learn all the features?

I didn't know much about it but after reading up, man what a beast. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Just rode her home, took it easy in rain mode, its pretty damp and foggy out

Gotta say I love the V twins, the torque, the vibrations, sound etc

Feels like Im riding a motorcycle not a microwave

This thing draws a lot of attention thats for sure(lots of finger pointing, head turning etc)

Managed to get the obligatory forks pic...was gonna do the selfie then I realized how bad I am at those

This thing draws a lot of attention thats for sure(lots of finger pointing, head turning etc)

Managed to get the obligatory forks pic...was gonna do the selfie then I realized how bad I am at those

Lmk when she's broken in and we can swapzies. Enjoy!

Man, I hated break-in. I can see why there's the whole 'wring its neck from mile zero' philosophy, as that's all you want to do with a new ride. On the Tuono it was tiered, with one rpm limit to 1000km, then another one to 2,000km. Felt like it went on forever. I think I made myself seasick with all the rolling on and off the throttle I did trying to avoid constant revs. At least twisties are a good way to keep the revs moving, just keep it in a higher gear and avoid the brakes...

As for the attention, no surprise there. Nobody makes a bike bright orange hoping to be stealthy.

Shame you won't be joining me on any trackdays... ;)

Not sure this is the thread to mention it, but I'm not too thrilled about this new trend of having to pay to unlock features that are already on your vehicle, a la Tesla.

I'll jump on that derail. I think younger people are more conditioned to this via video game micro-transactions, add-on packs etc.

Aprilia does it with unlocking the ECU for aftermarket pipes. At AF1, it's $1,150 for the cat-delete Akrapovic slip-on and link pipe, but a whopping $2,960 for the exact same hardware with an unlock code to set the ECU (that you already own!) to 'race mode', which has appropriate fuelling for the freer exhaust. Inexplicably, it's only $1,200 for a whole new race ECU, over $600 cheaper, but then you've voided your warranty. You can also unlock the ECU for downloaded fuel maps from randos on the internet (gulp!) with a $1,050 plug-in tablet, but again, bye-bye warranty. And no, a Power Commander is not an option, they've been blocked since 2016.

My understanding is Ducati pulls similar shenanigans, and the new S1000RR is crippled in North America without modifying the ECU, similar to the ZX-10R a couple years ago (slightly different situation, but still)...

My understanding is Ducati pulls similar shenanigans, and the new S1000RR is crippled in North America without modifying the ECU

Yeah. Unfortunately, it didn't always used to be like that.

A long time ago, I owned a Duc with Race Mode (unlocks additional HP and Traction Control) on the ECU activated upon installation of Termi race pipes. No cost to unlock this feature. Also BMW R1200GS/R1250GSs have an Enduro Pro mode enabled by plugging in a dongle under a seat. It's an additional step to acknowledge that you're accessing a mode where things might go sideways (literally and figuratively). The dongle was free-of-charge.

You're right that if you're younger and don't remember a time when all this stuff was provided at no additional cost, you're more likely to pony up. But if you do remember the good ole days, it's like, "WTF?!"

Yeah. Unfortunately, it didn't always used to be like that.

A long time ago, I owned a Duc with Race Mode (unlocks additional HP and Traction Control) on the ECU activated upon installation of Termi race pipes. No cost to unlock this feature. Also BMW R1200GS/R1250GSs have an Enduro Pro mode enabled by plugging in a dongle under a seat. It's an additional step to acknowledge that you're accessing a mode where things might go sideways (literally and figuratively). The dongle was free-of-charge.

You're right that if you're younger and don't remember a time when all this stuff was provided at no additional cost, you're more likely to pony up. But if you do remember the good ole days, it's like, "WTF?!"

Noticing a distinct euro pattern here

Man, I hated break-in. I can see why there's the whole 'wring its neck from mile zero' philosophy, as that's all you want to do with a new ride. On the Tuono it was tiered, with one rpm limit to 1000km, then another one to 2,000km. Felt like it went on forever. I think I made myself seasick with all the rolling on and off the throttle I did trying to avoid constant revs. At least twisties are a good way to keep the revs moving, just keep it in a higher gear and avoid the brakes...

As for the attention, no surprise there. Nobody makes a bike bright orange hoping to be stealthy.

Shame you won't be joining me on any trackdays... ;)

Yeah the guys at apex didnt mention anything about break in or 1k service..when I brought it up, they just said dont bounce it off the rev limiter and vary the rpms once in a while

Yeah the guys at apex didnt mention anything about break in or 1k service..when I brought it up, they just said dont bounce it off the rev limiter and vary the rpms once in a while

I think your rev-limiter has a soft ceiling. Your tach bars go red over a certain RPM, but your bike will allow you exceed it.

My wife had a S1000RR (yes, another Euro bike) which had a hard-ceiling on the rev-limiter. It cut the throttle at 9K RPM for the first 1000 kms. After the first service the hard ceiling is moved to the normal 14.2K RPM redline.

As an aside, it also came with a dongle for "Slick Mode" which unlocked things like traction control, wheelie/endo control, ABS defeat, etc. The dongle was free back then, not sure if BMW charges for it these days.

They're probably right, but I'd have a peek at the owners manual for advice. There's a million different strongly held opinions about break in, but I figure if they put it in the manual, it can't be bad...

I think your rev-limiter has a soft ceiling. Your tach bars go red over a certain RPM, but your bike will allow you exceed it.

My wife had a S1000RR (yes, another Euro bike) which had a hard-ceiling on the rev-limiter. It cut the throttle at 9K RPM for the first 1000 kms. After the first service the hard ceiling is moved to the normal 14.2K RPM redline.

As an aside, it also came with a dongle for "Slick Mode" which unlocked things like traction control, wheelie/endo control, ABS defeat, etc. The dongle was free back then, not sure if BMW charges for it these days.
XR had similar hard ceiling on the rev limiter during break in. during 1st service they unlocked the revs to 12.5.

dongle is toast, it's just a checkbox on the screen now. in fact it was accessible in the first 1000km.

XR had similar hard ceiling on the rev limiter during break in. during 1st service they unlocked the revs to 12.5.

BMW is pretty fascist (is it bad to use that word in this context?) about their rev limits.

I test rode the HP2 Sport race bike when it first came out and was surprised that the rev limit was enforced by software in accordance to the engine operating temperature. When you first started it up, you could not rev the engine over 3K rpm. Then slowly, as the oil temperature warmed up, it would increase the rev-limit till you had full access to redline at the proper operating temperature.

Pretty trick.

BMW is pretty fascist (is it bad to use that word in this context?) about their rev limits.

I test rode the HP2 Sport race bike when it first came out and was surprised that the rev limit was enforced by software in accordance to the engine operating temperature. When you first started it up, you could not rev the engine over 3K rpm. Then slowly, as the oil temperature warmed up, it would increase the rev-limit till you had full access to redline at the proper operating temperature.

Pretty trick.
Yeah at startup the tach is red at about 6k onwards until the engine begins to warm up, slowly 'givin' you more revs until it's optimal temperature. in reality you can still rev freely, it just starts flashing red at you.

I saw you (maybe)

On the weekend at the Fork of Credit and you had a passenger .....

Back
Top Bottom