Border Crossing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Border Crossing

Hmmm.....you most definitely will need to present the actual proper identification. Not a picture of it. Passport, Nexus etc.

Walk or ride across, it won’t make a difference to the border patrol agents.

I jump over often and claim my purchases and more often than not, get waived through back on the Canadian side.

The issue they may have coming back is paying the provincial sales tax on what you bought.

Being a first timer (at least in a long time). They may teach you a lesson and make you do it. It’s not a big deal. Just go in with your receipts, and they tell you to pay in either USD or Canadian currency.

Depending on where you cross over, their might be a toll for the bridge on the way back. No more than $5 CAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Do you know if I need a physical copy of insurance and registration? Will they ask me for them? I have registration under my seat its a hassle to get out but I only have insurance as a physical copy online on my phone. If i get service there.

Thanks! Do you know if I need a physical copy of insurance and registration? Will they ask me for them? I have registration under my seat its a hassle to get out but I only have insurance as a physical copy online on my phone. If i get service there.
I've been asked for ownership on a car before but not on the bike. YMMV. I keep them in a jacket pocket, so accessing them isn't an issue. How do you not have a pink slip? Just pick it up when you grab your passport. It's a better idea anyway than handing any LEO your phone.

I've been asked for ownership on a car before but not on the bike. YMMV. I keep them in a jacket pocket, so accessing them isn't an issue. How do you not have a pink slip? Just pick it up when you grab your passport. It's a better idea anyway than handing any LEO your phone.

Perfect thank you! Was going to just use my EDL since I actually have one and avoid going back home first. Do you think its worth it?

Perfect thank you! Was going to just use my EDL since I actually have one and avoid going back home first. Do you think its worth it?
I personally haven't been asked to prove insurance, so it may be worth a shot. If they ask and don't want to accept your electronic copy, then "sorry sir, I will make sure to have a paper copy before I try to cross again". They may let you proceed, or may tell you to turn around. You still got a nice ride in, just not to your intended destination.

FWIW, I screwed up many moons ago and took a wrong turn in niagara falls that put me at the border. Obviously no passports for myself or passenger as we weren't intending to visit the states (I think passenger wasn't even carrying photo ID). The agent was very grumpy and we had to pay the toll to get back, but otherwise, no repercussions.

I personally haven't been asked to prove insurance, so it may be worth a shot. If they ask and don't want to accept your electronic copy, then "sorry sir, I will make sure to have a paper copy before I try to cross again". They may let you proceed, or may tell you to turn around. You still got a nice ride in, just not to your intended destination.

FWIW, I screwed up many moons ago and took a wrong turn in niagara falls that put me at the border. Obviously no passports for myself or passenger as we weren't intending to visit the states (I think passenger wasn't even carrying photo ID). The agent was very grumpy and we had to pay the toll to get back, but otherwise, no repercussions.

Thanks so much for the help! Sounds like it may be worth a short. Worst case scenario theyre not impressed access denied and Ill try the following weekend with everything in hand. Cheers!:)

Thanks so much for the help! Sounds like it may be worth a short. Worst case scenario theyre not impressed access denied and Ill try the following weekend with everything in hand. Cheers!:)
Cross every t,dot every i before you "try" a border crossing.You are a foreigner in the USA and will be treated like one.And since 9/11,their system has a VERY long memory.

If something happens to you in the US and you don't have physical copy of your insce, and they don't accept electronic copies, you're really screwed!

Don't play ignorant, Carry ALL the proper paperwork with you. They don't show any leniency any more and everything is recorded.

Yup. Visor up, sunglasses off (preferably before you actually get to the person that can give you a five year prohibition just because they don't like the cut of your jib).

I always remove my sunglasses and helmet after I pull up at the guard shack. And it is always yes sir, no sir.

On my way back into Canada last month after a week in PA, I apologized to the Canadian border guard for having to take the time to put my helmet & gloves etc. back on. He was very understanding and told me to take my time and put everything back on while stopped there.
Apparently, earlier in the summer, someone was in a rush to put their gear back on under the carport/overhang area near the customs building (this is at the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie) and pulled out and cut directly across the other vehicle customs lanes and someone t-boned him as they pulled away as they didn't see him coming. Crappy end to a trip. :-(

Rob

Cross every t,dot every i before you "try" a border crossing.You are a foreigner in the USA and will be treated like one.And since 9/11,their system has a VERY long memory.

100% agreed.
The inconvenience of having to go and pickup your official documents is way less than the inconvenience you could experience by not having them on you.

Rob

Assume that they know everything about you and answer questions truthfully.Even a tiny fib will get you into hot water.
My son in law changed universities mid way thru to focus his education in a different direction.The US border guy asked him why he dropped out of school.It was confusing and turned a 2 min exchange into half an hour. Yikes!

Contact your insurance company and they should be able to email a copy of the liability slip. The border isn’t a place to ask for forgiveness. You should always have proof of insurance as well ownership.

I’ve never been asked at the border but, if they did, I could present it pretty easy. As it’s one of those things if pulled over, should be able to provide to any law enforcement officer.

The American agents are happy to let you through to spend money in their country. You have an enhanced DL that should satisfy the identification requirements.

If riding over and you tell them you are buying tires, they may ask where you plan to carry them and see if the story makes sense etc.

Upon your return, it’s the Canadian agents that will question you about what you were doing. They don’t like folks buying stuff to resell back home. Or buying booze and/or smokes.

Not sure what you are buying that makes it worth the trip but, in my case HD part are significantly cheaper in the us than here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't even contemplate showing up at the border without all the correct paperwork. They have pretty much zero sense of humour there anymore and you risk bumping into a border guard who's having a bad day and decides to ban you from the USA for a period of time for even showing up without all your ducks in a row. They make it very VERY clear with only some cursory work now what you need to cross so people who show up woefully clueless or unprepared are wasting their time.

They don't need much of a reason anymore to send you away and tell you to not come back.

You've been told what you need. You will NOT get across without it, trust us. Don't waste your time and risk a bigger problem.

As for what to do at the booth, as others have said, answer questions politely and directly. As someone who used to cross the border twice a day every weekday for many years, (and several times a week for years previous to that), the person who mentored me long ago gave me a great piece of info I still follow (and advise others to do the same) to this day - never volunteer info. Answer questions truthfully and honestly but only provide direct answers to questions you were asked. Don't get chatty and start blabbing unrelated info or about things you were not asked about - "overly friendly" or any attempt to chat up a guard is one of the things they will give you the fuzzy eyeball over... and next thing you're in secondary. Or worse.

Thanks guys. Tons of awesome information and replies. I think ill make the trip back and grab what I need to cover everything!

Probably another reason to not go digital with your insurance slip.

Assume that they know everything about you and answer questions truthfully.Even a tiny fib will get you into hot water.
My son in law changed universities mid way thru to focus his education in a different direction.The US border guy asked him why he dropped out of school.It was confusing and turned a 2 min exchange into half an hour. Yikes!

@Wingboy
Was your son-in-law in school in the US or Canada?
If Canada, that is seriously scary that the US border guard had access to that information.
It would be the first time I've heard of that 2 government agencies working together and truly sharing data.
Too bad the various levels of government here at home couldn't coordinate better!

Rob

@Wingboy
If Canada, that is seriously scary that the US border guard had access to that information.
It would be the first time I've heard of that 2 government agencies working together and truly sharing data.
Too bad the various levels of government here at home couldn't coordinate better!

Rob
He was in the USA bringing a car that he bought in Cleveland back to Canada. (All the proper paperwork)
They have the internet too, and if you have a big enough digital footprint, they will find it.

Last edited:
@Wingboy

Rob
The amount of data they access at the border is crazy. Then there are the trick questions "Have you ever been charged with a crime", not convicted, charged. Answer incorrectly and it will be a bad day for you. Even if you have a pardon, they have access to older records and may not acceptthe pardon. It really is a scary place when they have so much power and you have so little.

Google your own forum handle sometime and look at the trail of info you have behind you. I lost track of someone a couple years ago and found his address, etc etc etc by looking at his accounts on ADVRider and photobucket. Scary!

Google your own forum handle sometime and look at the trail of info you have behind you. I lost track of someone a couple years ago and found his address, etc etc etc by looking at his accounts on ADVRider and photobucket. Scary!

Even scarier when there is someone who has the same name, username or handle as you on other forums.
I know people who have a hassle at the border because they share a name with someone who is a known felon etc.

Rob

Even scarier when there is someone who has the same name, username or handle as you on other forums.
I know people who have a hassle at the border because they share a name with someone who is a known felon etc.

When people google my real name (which I keep pretty much undisclosed on forums, but that's a different matter) the results are....."interesting", lets just say. It keeps people guessing which one may, or may not be, me. And I like it that way.

As for my username, well, it returns mostly mundane professional stuff when Googled since pilots are generally pretty level headed people who don't gravitate towards the loony bin side of the internet.

Back
Top Bottom