Boars in Pickering | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boars in Pickering

Who wins in coyotes vs wild boars? I'm assuming wild boars since they're crazy?

In other jurisdictions, Alberta for one the wild pig are pests as far as fish & game are concerned.
No license needed. No bag limit. Shoot on sight.
I think I'll dust off the ol' .243 and investigate..

In other jurisdictions, Alberta for one the wild pig are pests as far as fish & game are concerned.
No license needed. No bag limit. Shoot on sight.
I think I'll dust off the ol' .243 and investigate..
Haha, that will go over well in Pickering.

News articles are now updated. MNR is planning on euthanizing them after they are baited, trapped and relocated. Basically five times the cost and complication to avoid killing them in front of karens with cameras.

News articles are now updated. MNR is planning on euthanizing them after they are baited, trapped and relocated. Basically five times the cost and complication to avoid killing them in front of karens with cameras.

maybe she'd be okay with it if you provided her with organic free range wild boar meat.

Haha, that will go over well in Pickering.

I should be clear... I wouldn't bother with Ontario.
I much prefer Saskatchewan and Alberta for shooting critters.
Hell... I'll drive two days each way to a buddy's place in Sask. just to shoot gophers for a couple days!

Quick Google search got me "Compared to other large mammals, wild hogs have a very short gestation period of about 114 days. Sows are sexually mature at 6-8 months of age and average 4-6 piglets per litter." Not sure about the winter cold factor, but this should be taken seriously.

Quick Google search got me "Compared to other large mammals, wild hogs have a very short gestation period of about 114 days. Sows are sexually mature at 6-8 months of age and average 4-6 piglets per litter." Not sure about the winter cold factor, but this should be taken seriously.
And they breed all year round…so that’s a lot of hogs in a short amount of time.

Till I saw the picture, I thought the headline was referring to Pickering Panther hockey parents being back in rinks after Covid.

Wonder how they survive winter...doesn't look like they have much fur for heat retention..
Pigs are interesting creatures when it comes to adapting to the wild. A normal farm pig that escapes into the wild will immediatly find food, within weeks begin to grow a sturdy fur coat and tusks after just a few days will exhibit defensive skill sufficient to fend off all predators. 30 days and it's a full-on feral beast .

Who wins in coyotes vs wild boars? I'm assuming wild boars since they're crazy?
Coyotes won't tackle able bodied prey bigger than rabbits. Wolves won't even tackle wild pigs unless they are real hungry and even then only if they can separate one from a herd.

To add some nuance to the Karen v. Hunters debate. From the OFAH: Wild Pigs in Ontario

Unfortunately, hunting is not the solution to this problem and will in fact make things much worse. Research and management experience from provinces and states that have been dealing with wild pigs for years has shown that hunters removing individual pigs has minimal effect on the population and instead breaks up groups of pigs (called sounders), scatters them across the landscape and teaches them to avoid hunters. This makes control efforts much more difficult and pigs quickly breed to replace any losses. Worse still, unscrupulous hunters in some states have purposely spread pigs in order to take advantage of open seasons in their areas.

What has been shown to work in eradicating wild pigs is identifying and eliminating the entire sounder. This takes dedicated wildlife professionals with specialized techniques such as trapping. This is what the OFAH is advocating for and the MNRF’s pilot study to figure out how to do this in Ontario is the critical first step.

To add some nuance to the Karen v. Hunters debate. From the OFAH: Wild Pigs in Ontario
Maybe trapping is the right solution but I still think that given there are a known (and small) number in a known location it would be faster and easier to shoot them. Maybe try and trap most of them and get the last few manually? I have a suspicion the trapping program will drag on for a long time. Probably effective to constantly chip away at the numbers but I'm not convinced it captures 100% in a short time period (and the longer they are out, the more babies they pump out).

Given that I am proposing a cull instead of a sport hunt, they could alter some conventional hunting rules. Use the helicopter to locate them and let the police get in some slug practice. Remove the sport and just go for rapid genocide.

have you seen cops shoot? most of a cop's arsenal also won't kill a wild pig easily.
definitely cull is the right response, but with how underfunded some aspects of govt and all the red tape involved I fear they'll be in uncontrollable populations by the time we could've gotten this small group.

have you seen cops shoot? most of a cop's arsenal also won't kill a wild pig easily.
definitely cull is the right response, but with how underfunded some aspects of govt and all the red tape involved I fear they'll be in uncontrollable populations by the time we could've gotten this small group.
I was more thinking of a training run for ETF not beat cops with sidearms.

I was more thinking of a training run for ETF not beat cops with sidearms.
fair enough.
this sounds like the start of a movie. ETF team, simple forest practice search and destroy wild pigs.
rustling in the bushes? wild pigs picking them off one by one, covered in mud to hide from the thermal.
clever girl.

While I agree from a marksmanship and efficiency perspective, I can't see that plan getting approval from the boys in blue. It will be in court forever unless they get to take part. The good thing with only having 14 to deal with is the whole cull could be over before people have time to complain. Shooting from the chopper is about as safe as it can get. Great view of who's around and any misses have an excellent backstop.

What are you talking about? permission from police? Court cases?
it'a n MNR issue... they don't need the police's permission to do their jobs. They might ask the police to be involved for citizen safety reasons, set up perimeter, etc.. but it won't be a police led operation.

Back
Top Bottom