Boars in Pickering | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boars in Pickering

Any bets on how long before an article comes out about a soccer mom trying to pet or feed them and gets gored?

Government stupidity at its finest, they are going to bait and trap them all. They left out the next step. As an invasive species it seems like releasing them somewhere is off the table. Seems a lot cheaper and faster to shoot them, get them processed and donate the meat to homeless shelters.

Boars are quite dangerous I believe, and reasonably intelligent too. Definitely not cuddly pets. Would love to see them though…from a distance, from inside a car.

Did they escape from a farm? There's a few places around here that sell or serve wild game meat.

Boars are quite dangerous I believe, and reasonably intelligent too. Definitely not cuddly pets. Would love to see them though…from a distance, from inside a car.
Super dangerous, and very aggressive.

Poland has had boar issues for many years and now there's a resurgence. My wife's uncle has had a few close calls where those mofos will chase him riding his bike through the woods to work. Not many routes besides that one so you keep rolling and hope there's none up front.

Mmmm...bacon...

I think wild pigs have been around for a long time but...are the numbers are going up now because of less hunting and warmer winters?
they are no native wild pigs or boars in Canada or even the US that I am aware of. These are all invasive species from Europe or escaped pigs that have gone feral.
basically have all the hallmarks of a threatening invasive species, no natural predators, thrive and reproduce very well, outcompetes and destroys food/habitats for native species. Lastly, as others have mentioned, very very aggressive and dangerous.

extremely intelligent too. if you don't trap the whole group, the rest get smarter and are harder to trap. they are also more active at night which makes legal hunting more difficult.

a lot of the US has huge issues with them as pests. Texas has almost no limitations when hunting boars, full-auto, night vision, from a heli or back of a moving pick-up.

they are no native wild pigs or boars in Canada or even the US that I am aware of. These are all invasive species from Europe or escaped pigs that have gone feral.
basically have all the hallmarks of a threatening invasive species, no natural predators, thrive and reproduce very well, outcompetes and destroys food/habitats for native species. Lastly, as others have mentioned, very very aggressive and dangerous.

extremely intelligent too. if you don't trap the whole group, the rest get smarter and are harder to trap. they are also more active at night which makes legal hunting more difficult.

a lot of the US has huge issues with them as pests. Texas has almost no limitations when hunting boars, full-auto, night vision, from a heli or back of a moving pick-up.
Given that I am proposing a cull instead of a sport hunt, they could alter some conventional hunting rules. Use the helicopter to locate them and let the police get in some slug practice. Remove the sport and just go for rapid genocide.

If there's a group seen in Pickering, I'd bet there's a lot more in the surrounding area and expanding their territory.

Like other invasive species, full on cull is your only solution.

Hell... Shoot 'em from the helicopter..!
'Probably safer and more effective to leave it to hunters and sport shooters than the police anyway..

While I agree from a marksmanship and efficiency perspective, I can't see that plan getting approval from the boys in blue. It will be in court forever unless they get to take part. The good thing with only having 14 to deal with is the whole cull could be over before people have time to complain. Shooting from the chopper is about as safe as it can get. Great view of who's around and any misses have an excellent backstop.

This is who you need to call to cull
252_001.jpg

Given that I am proposing a cull instead of a sport hunt, they could alter some conventional hunting rules. Use the helicopter to locate them and let the police get in some slug practice. Remove the sport and just go for rapid genocide.

I can already hear the cries on Facebook from the bleeding hearts to "leave the little piggies alone!", followed by rants about how "their habitat is being destroyed for housing!" and other totally batshit crazy animal lover nonsense.

I can already hear the cries on Facebook from the bleeding hearts to "leave the little piggies alone!", followed by rants about how "their habitat is being destroyed for housing!" and other totally batshit crazy animal lover nonsense.
Agree. Even in the midst of a pandemic, many people are completely oblivious to what exponential growth looks like.

In their defense, we probably ****** up by bringing them over here. But yeah now we have to..hmm... "fix our mistakes" with some barbecue. You fill in the blanks.

On the flip side, heaven help us if they are ever spotted in the city, considering the panic and uproar last week about the coyotes seen in West Toronto, and the public information session that ensued

Back
Top Bottom