BMW Service/Warranty Options For Former Endras Customers | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW Service/Warranty Options For Former Endras Customers

Please give us a review of your 1250RT. It's on my short list as a replacement for my FJR. Test rode one last year at the dealer. Loved the weight lower down compared to the FJR. 2021 RT looks awesome
I can give you experience from my perspective of riding for nearly 60 years and up to 20,000 km on this RT on another thread or PM but to summarize, I couldn't be happier. It is the complete bike. Now back to my original question.......

I can give you experience from my perspective of riding for nearly 60 years and up to 20,000 km on this RT on another thread or PM but to summarize, I couldn't be happier. It is the complete bike. Now back to my original question.......
Asked and answered!

Actually I will add that many peeps in my Instagram BMW group use downtown Toronto BMW. They have had a similar experience to Maranelllo. Busy, but the service is OK.

One guy tried Oakville and was very dissapointed.

the skeptic in me still doesnt trust the shaft drive and their dry clutches but I suppose with a new bike that wont be an issue

Wow has this thread turned from a simple dealer suggestion

The GS has been liquid cooled with an integrated transmission and equipped with a wet clutch since 2013.

The only criticism I have seen of the 1250 Boxer (Ryan Fort9) was that it was unnecessary for an off-road bike.

It is an incredible motor with excellent torque and drivability and great motor for all the R models.

The GS is one of the best all round and travel bikes but not the best single track bike due to its weight.

Apart from the the KTM 790/890 and Yamaha T7 and previous versions of the AT most of these bikes are not ideal single track bikes unless your are a very skilled rider.

The New Africa Twin 1100 has departed away from the simple off road bike and is gaining in heft as it evolves to a GS like bike

The recent GS models and especially the liquid cooled bikes have not had many driveshaft failures. Most were caused by poor maintenance, water crossings and extreme angles from over loading.

Last edited:
Wow has this thread turned from a simple dealer suggestion

The GS has been liquid cooled with an integrated transmission and equipped with a wet clutch since 2013.

The only criticism I have seen of the 1250 Boxer (Ryan Fort9) was that it was unnecessary for an off-road bike.

It is an incredible motor with excellent torque and drivability and great motor for all the R models.

The GS is one of the best all round and travel bikes but not the best single track bike due to its weight.

Apart from the the KTM 790/890 and Yamaha T7 and previous versions of the AT most of these bikes are not ideal single track bikes unless your are a very skilled rider.

The New Africa Twin 1100 has departed away from the simple off road bike and is gaining in heft as it evolves to a GS like bike

The recent GS models and especially the liquid cooled bikes have not had many driveshaft failures. Most were caused by poor maintenance, water crossings and extreme angles from over loading.

How do you maintain a shaft drive, real question

Additionally, keeping the driveshaft rubber boots sealed to minimize water egress on water crossings.

In many cases riders kept riding despite hearing and feeling a failing bearing.

Thankfully, most of these failures are not common on the current and previous generation of GS models.

The ones that failed most were the ones that had “ permanent” fill and required no service.

Change the hypoid gear oil, unless it's permanently lubed. Or ride it till it leaks and then buy a new drive unit.
I also pull them apart and lube the splines with super high-moly content grease. I use Honda Moly 60 which was a big problem getting my hands on 20 years ago and is now apparently unobtanium but that's ok as the tube I have will last the rest of my life.

I also pull them apart and lube the splines with super high-moly content grease. I use Honda Moly 60 which was a big problem getting my hands on 20 years ago and is now apparently unobtanium but that's ok as the tube I have will last the rest of my life.
Wouldn't the grease wash off from the hypoid oil after it warms to operating temps?

Does BMW grease get better as it ages for 30 years?
UdSMIdH.jpg

Last edited:
Reading this post just makes me mad all over again... :mad:
I remember reading the literature from BMW about the no lube drive.Nope nope nope.
And now they have a zero maint chain.Ok!

Does BM

Does BMW grease get better as it ages for 30 years?
UdSMIdH.jpg
I would have been happier with a plastic tube than the Moly 60 packaging to fit a small grease gun. I don't know if anyone has ever put Moly 60 in a gun. IIRC I paid $40 for the tube 20 years ago. I bought it for a K bike. There was some wear on the splines from previous owners and not much lube in there when I pulled it apart.

file.php

I don't know how manufacturers get away with "lifetime" fluids that need to be regularly changed to prevent destruction. Many of them run that scam.
hah.

When i had my Optima i was at the garage getting an alignment and balancing, guy asks if i wanted him to check anything. I thought about it and said F it, let's change out the Tranny fluid (around 120k). He comes back about 10 minutes later saying it appears to be a sealed unit and good for the lifetime of the vehicle. I vaguely recall him rolling his eyes at me as he said it.

I bought my 1250 GS at downtown BMW. Last winter the service dept were doing a milk run in eastern On and stopped in to pick it up and then retuned it after a service. I'd call downtown and try to arrange something considering riding season has ground down. Maybe even call the sales guys as a few from Endras ended up at downtown and maybe you'll know them.

Just to close the loop on this, I went to Maranello for service after booking well in advance and I'm a very satisfied customer. They were able to do the front brake caliper replacement recall as well as the normal 20k km service. Friendly and professional.

The ones that failed most were the ones that had “ permanent” fill and required no service.
Not just their bikes, but their cars too. People needed to understand what BMW meant was the fluid was good for the lifetime of the warranty so they could artifically lower the maintenance costs then promptly sell you another vehicle when it did eventually fail.

hah.

When i had my Optima i was at the garage getting an alignment and balancing, guy asks if i wanted him to check anything. I thought about it and said F it, let's change out the Tranny fluid (around 120k). He comes back about 10 minutes later saying it appears to be a sealed unit and good for the lifetime of the vehicle. I vaguely recall him rolling his eyes at me as he said it.
Woah, I didn't realize they went to the extent of sealing them!

Back
Top Bottom