Blacksmithing Anyone? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Blacksmithing Anyone?

That's not how it works.The welder is MOSTLY a big transformer, which converts input current to low voltage/High amperage
They output about 120v with no load, but 15-25v under load.
I'm gonna have to look again. It's marked 40amp.

What's the upside to stick vs wire feed.

What's the upside to stick vs wire feed.
Lots of different rods available for different scenarios/materials. Can stick weld underwater. Can stick weld outside. Imo, adjusting angle to vary penetration/preheat is more effective with stick than wire (aim towards thicker material). Don't need to deal with jams. Fast to change diameter. Probably more but that's some.

Silly question...does anyone in this forum know how to weld on brass? My mom has an old damaged lamp, that I would like to fix for her.
My knee jerk is to use silver solder but a lot depends on the situation.

Is it brass or brass plated and how thick? In a lot of situations plumbing solder can be used but like drywall mud, the more you put on the more you have to sand off. Silver solder is definitely stronger but requires a lot more heat.

If you post a picture of the break it could help.

Proper brazing is not hard to do but it needs the right tools and some practice (I have done a tonne but don't have a torch for it today). It can also be soldered (plumbers do it), but instead of tin actual silver (ie Ag) solder may work better for something that needs strength but I have never silver solder on brass.

Epoxy may be your best bet, depends on what needs to be fixed.
My efforts on epoxy joints to brass were total failure. Numerous brands plus discussions with the WEST people had no results as I wasn't about to open an epoxy business for one use. Brass sheet to wood was a good bond to the wood but the brass peeled off as if I used a mold wax.

I have better luck with silver solder (~50% Ag) than brazing rod. Low silver ~3% solder has its place but I think it's because of material compatibility. Even the good stuff has trade offs with adhesion, colours, liquidous / solidous temperature ranges.

Hmm can anyone buy a welder? Curious what you have? I've a couple of things I'd like to weld. I wouldn't get a lot of use out of it but it's something that's not to expensive.
The concept of welding is really simple. The execution of the weld isn't. A good welder person can get results from a piece of junk machine and a poor welder person can destroy the work piece along with a good machine.

I've got a Lincoln 120 volt MIG and the small bottle doesn't have a demurrage charge. IIRC it's about $100 to refill every year or so for me. The machine is good for up to 100 thou and stitch welding down to car fender weight sheet metal.

Some welder repair shops have rebuilt units for a fraction of the new cost.

I also have a cheap 120 volt solid state stick welder that claims magnificent results but there is an arc volt issue that makes getting a bead started a challenge.

Its advantage is its low price and size, about the size of a toaster. I've only used it successfully for tacking and then doing the final work with the MIG. PA and CTC have them and they go on sale regularly. If you have zero experience they will be frustrating.

Oxy Acetylene is a great tool if you like a bomb in the garage. I've done aluminum with it for about a half an inch. One really learns to respect the guys that rebuild Austin Healeys.

@bitzz I stand corrected 20 amps - regardless it's welds the thicker stuff on a 15 amp circuit. @sburns you can see from the pic it fits easily under the bench. I would have liked to have had my Dad's old Miller (stick only). I remember him using it more than 50 years ago, however my nephew "wanted"it then sold it on Kijiji.
IMG_1094.JPGIMG_1093.JPG

@bitzz I stand corrected 20 amps - regardless it's welds the thicker stuff on a 15 amp circuit. @sburns you can see from the pic it fits easily under the bench. I would have liked to have had my Dad's old Miller (stick only). I remember him using it more than 50 years ago, however my nephew "wanted"it then sold it on Kijiji.
View attachment 66695View attachment 66696
Interesting control setup on that one. Strange that the graphic for 20A has the wrong receptacle.

I’m looking for 4 pcs 6x6 1/4 sq tube 12” long and 1 pc 6x6 1/4 sq tube 24” . Is this a PITA request ? Is your shop a job shop or wholesale? I get it if it’s not worth the effort , I sell lumber but I can’t sell you a 2x4, I can sell you 294 pcs in a lift of 2x4 .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I can sell you 294 pcs in a lift of 2x4 .
What would something like that cost? or can it be 100 2x4's for example..
Ballpark is fine and can it be delivered?

I’m looking for 4 pcs 6x6 1/4 sq tube 12” long and 1 pc 6x6 1/4 sq tube 24” . Is this a PITA request ? Is your shop a job shop or wholesale? I get it if it’s not worth the effort , I sell lumber but I can’t sell you a 2x4, I can sell you 294 pcs in a lift of 2x4 .

You're about 19.5lbs/ft -- A steel jobber will be in the $20/pc range (about a buck a pound) for cut pieces. A steel retail store will be about $50/pc, or about 2.50/lb.

A scrap yard might have what you need for $0.50/lb.

We are wholesale, so we sell full lengths but most times works out cheaper than a metal supermarket type place. If you legit want a quote, I'll check tomorrow when I'm back in the office. Also with that size HSS I might be able to bring in just a 6' piece.

Edit: emailed my work self, so I'll send you a price tomorrow 😀

Last edited:

If she can't do it Hunter Steel Will pre-cut your lengths you want

Sent from the future

McKinnon Metals in Vaughan is my go to place for metals. Great service, very fair prices on small orders.

Their service and pricing on cutting is also top notch.

I built some cages to hold / protect some equipment at work using 3/4" 0.125" wall square tubing. Nothing too fancy, just some rectangular frames ~3'Wx4'Lx3'H give or take with a bunch of cross bracing.

Made the first one as a prototype using 8' stock from Metal Supermarkets. Ended up with 56 pieces to make up 1 unit. Almost all of the braces are mitered on at least one if not both ends. Used over 60' of tubing for the first one and spent a lot of time at the chop saw.

Ordered materials from McKinnon Metals for 7 more cages. I was smart and sent them a cut sheet now that I had a final design.

That order for material for 7 units with 392 cuts cost as much as just bulk material for 2 units from Metals Supermarket.

Order was ready for pick up in less than 24 hours and it was great, not just good.

Cuts were clean and sharp. Edges had been dressed with some care. Lengths and angles were all spot on. This was easy to see as the order was neatly bundled by dimension and all the edges look like they were cut at the same time with a giant sword. Each bundle was clearly labeled.

Care was taken in every step of the operation. This was not a very valuable order to them, but they knocked it out of the park instead of just giving it to the shop dummy to hammer out quickly as possible.

Have I mentioned cheap yet?

Back
Top Bottom