Biker down - what would you do? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Biker down - what would you do?

I have the St. John's Ambulance certificate. It was free through one of my employers so I took it. I probably need to renew the training since it has been about 14 years since I took it. There are legal reasons to take the St. John's course, firstly that you can't be sued for giving aid and making a mistake. They do cover motorcycle accidents briefly in the course. I strongly recommend the St. John's Ambulance course to anyone serious about giving first aid, it is legal and universally recognized and you won't ever regret it the day you need it.
Happy to say that you can not be sued. Providing that you are doing everything within your training. If not trained, being there to re assure the patient goes a long way. Samaritan Act of 2006.
Go with the chain of command. Calling 911. You must ask Patient for your permission. Unless unconscious.
Sometimes you might need to make judgment calls. For example, using an Epi Pen. That is a bodily invasion. Do you let your Patient die or stick a needle in them?

Nope. Not yet.

Also that worries me as there are ALOT of dinosaurs in this industry and they wouldn't have a clue what it was.
Similar to the incident where a passer by called 911 and asked where they where. They said Eucalyptus St. Then asked can you please spell that. He said ,"Hang on, I`m going to move him to Main St. I can spell that"

Happy to say that you can not be sued. Providing that you are doing everything within your training. If not trained, being there to re assure the patient goes a long way. Samaritan Act of 2006.
Go with the chain of command. Calling 911. You must ask Patient for your permission. Unless unconscious.
Sometimes you might need to make judgment calls. For example, using an Epi Pen. That is a bodily invasion. Do you let your Patient die or stick a needle in them?

Also the Ambulance 911 dispatcher will give you medical instructions over the phone, if necessary.

Similar to the incident where a passer by called 911 and asked where they where. They said Eucalyptus St. Then asked can you please spell that. He said ,"Hang on, I`m going to move him to Main St. I can spell that"

ba dum tss

We just re-did our first aid this past weekend for teaching the bike course. We were informed that if there is a need we can administer an epi pen, but that's it for drugs. If someone asks for asprin during a heart attack we can offer it but not adminster it, that part's up to them. Otherwise we're all covered from lawsuits.

Fingers crossed I never need to do CPR but I like to think I know what to do if it comes to that. Been taking these courses every few year since I was 12.

Also if they do take something make sure the first responders know. Even Asprin.

Try not to let them drink water incase the person needs to go under the knife when they get to the hospital.

If it helps. After having asked if they are allergic to Aspirin., Warfarin etc. Aspirin should be 80mg chewable.

There have been many changes in CPR, if you have not done a course recently. If you are not a HCP (Health Care Provider) you may administer Compressions only.

One of the first things I notice with Bikers they are always the first to stop. Kudos to you all. Aren't we the best? Yes we are.

Here is how I would deal with a disaster.

1/ Assess the scene. Make sure the scene is safe. You're no good to anyone if you become part of the problem. You many need to relocate the casualty (not recommended unless absolutely necessary).
2/ Take charge - if someone is more qualified at the scene then relinquish and assist.
3/ Identify yourself to the casualty as a first aider and ask if you can help (CYA). If they are nonresponsive assume they would accept help.
4/ Delegate tasks to others if they are around. Have them secure and make the scene safe(r), Have them direct traffic etc. call 911, find first aide supplies, and train on the spot other(s) to perform CPR if req'd as CPR performer gets burnt out within minutes.
5/ Ensure they keep breathing, perform AR if req'd. Brain death occurs within a few minutes.
6/ Be aware of shock. If there is no pulse then CPR is required.
7/ Don't let the casualty bleed out. This is ideally delegated as there is enough to do as per the aforementioned.
Carry a belt or some rope at the least for a tunicate.
8/ If all of the above goes well, place casualty in the recovery position.
9/ Monitor and repeat the above as required or until qualified emergency responders arrive.

When you finally get home take a sleeping pill so you can sleep.
I wish my SS bike could carry more $--t.

Here is how I would deal with a disaster.

1/ Assess the scene. Make sure the scene is safe. You're no good to anyone if you become part of the problem. You many need to relocate the casualty (not recommended unless absolutely necessary).
2/ Take charge - if someone is more qualified at the scene then relinquish and assist.
3/ Identify yourself to the casualty as a first aider and ask if you can help (CYA). If they are nonresponsive assume they would accept help.
4/ Delegate tasks to others if they are around. Have them secure and make the scene safe(r), Have them direct traffic etc. call 911, find first aide supplies, and train on the spot other(s) to perform CPR if req'd as CPR performer gets burnt out within minutes.
5/ Ensure they keep breathing, perform AR if req'd. Brain death occurs within a few minutes.
6/ Be aware of shock. If there is no pulse then CPR is required.
7/ Don't let the casualty bleed out. This is ideally delegated as there is enough to do as per the aforementioned.
Carry a belt or some rope at the least for a tunicate.
8/ If all of the above goes well, place casualty in the recovery position.
9/ Monitor and repeat the above as required or until qualified emergency responders arrive.

When you finally get home take a sleeping pill so you can sleep.
I wish my SS bike could carry more $--t.

Just my opinion, calling 911 should be higher up on that list. It takes time for help to arrive and the process needs to start ASAP. It can definitely happen before you identify yourself to the patient.

Just my opinion, calling 911 should be higher up on that list. It takes time for help to arrive and the process needs to start ASAP. It can definitely happen before you identify yourself to the patient.
From my personnel experience Call 911 first! I saw a vehicle leave the roadway and roll over into the ditch on a side road in a rural area. Went to help the victim and found myself up to my waist in snow and my feet in cold water in a deep ditch where I couldn't see or be seen from the roadway. Took me a good 15 minutes to get back to the roadway at which time luckly another vehicle had shown up. It was a damn close call where there would have been two to be rescued. Luckly the victim was able to get out of the vehicle by themselves. In hindsight there wasn't much I could have done. Vehicle was resting on the driver side at the bottom of a 12" ditch. The back of the van with filled with tools so entry from the back not practical, entering through the passenger door wasn't going to happen without help. Calling 911 first would have had more and better help on it way without delay.

In seriousness if you know they took a tumble they should probably be prone while you secure their neck until EMTs arrive.

Back
Top Bottom