Biker down - what would you do? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Biker down - what would you do?

I have a first aid kit on my bike with a military clot pad in it. It’s one of those small camping kits in a waterproof bag. The clotting pads need replacing periodically as they have a use by date but they are very good. The kit and pad take up next to no space.

I have a first aid kit on my bike with a military clot pad in it. It’s one of those small camping kits in a waterproof bag. The clotting pads need replacing periodically as they have a use by date but they are very good. The kit and pad take up next to no space.
Not a bad plan to add a decent tourniquet as well (soft-t or Cat, don't buy from amazon due to high percentage of fakes) and train in its use. In an unfortunate number of cases, a railing or vehicle makes a mess of a limb and a tourniquet can save a life.

Thanks for the reminder I should pack my first aid kit into the saddle bags... (y)

Been in the position several times. Sound first aid, common sense and giving a **** to help go a long way.

a couple of riding friends are resting in peace, don’t know if any amount of roadside assistance would have changed the outcome.

a couple of riding friends are resting in peace, don’t know if any amount of roadside assistance would have changed the outcome.
That sometimes happens, but knowing you were prepared (both trained and equipped) brings you some solace that you did everything you could do do help.

I dive with a pocket cpr mask and inflatable noodle even if I am renting gear. Thankfully, I have never needed them, but without the mask, a victim bobbing on the surface doesn't have a chance because you can't get above them. Just watching them go while not even being able to try and help would suck.

I carry a harley davidson T shirt to use as a tourniquet...only thing it's good for ?

I have the St. John's Ambulance certificate. It was free through one of my employers so I took it. I probably need to renew the training since it has been about 14 years since I took it. There are legal reasons to take the St. John's course, firstly that you can't be sued for giving aid and making a mistake. They do cover motorcycle accidents briefly in the course. I strongly recommend the St. John's Ambulance course to anyone serious about giving first aid, it is legal and universally recognized and you won't ever regret it the day you need it.

Here's a quick and easy tip that can very well save a life if you come across an accident:

Know where you are, and Call 911

Might seem obvious but it does get a bit glossed over in some courses and discussions but the sooner help arrives the better chances the patient survives.

Knowing where you are is sooooo important.

As a 911 dispatcher and a rider I wish I could take part in some of these course to just give everyone the tips and knowledge to help them make that life saving call easier.

Last edited:
Here's a quick and easy tip that can very well save a life if you come across an accident:

Might seem obvious but it does get a bit glossed over in some course and discussions but the sooner help arrives the better chances the patient survives.

As a 911 dispatcher and a rider I wish I could take part in some of these course to just give everyone the tips and knowledge to help them make that life saving call easier.
Wife and I were eating in cloverdale mall years ago and I saw a woman lying on the ground. Told the wife and she jumped up and ran over, yelling “hold my purse!”

She immediately started giving CPR (she’s an RRT) and a Dentist and a few assistants came out as well to assist. Fire department arrived a few moments later. Fire captain takes one look at her working and says “you know what you’re doing, how can we help”.

Long story short, she didn’t survive. Sadly she choked on some food it seems. But she had probably been provided the best chance of a comeback.

Wife and I were eating in cloverdale mall years ago and I saw a woman lying on the ground. Told the wife and she jumped up and ran over, yelling “hold my purse!”

She immediately started giving CPR (she’s an RRT) and a Dentist and a few assistants came out as well to assist. Fire department arrived a few moments later. Fire captain takes one look at her working and says “you know what you’re doing, how can we help”.

Long story short, she didn’t survive. Sadly she choked on some food it seems. But she had probably been provided the best chance of a comeback.

That definitely sounds like that poor lady got the best help anyone could ever hope for from bystandards/passerbys. Sucks she didn't pull through.

I didn't mean to say that being trained in CPR or as an emergency first responder isn't important. It definitely is.

I just feel like more often than not, from my personal experience and what I see/hear at work, lots of people don't know what they're doing.
(and that includes not knowing how to call for help)

Might seem obvious but it does get a bit glossed over in some course and discussions but the sooner help arrives the better chances the patient survives.

have they got text based 911 working in Ontario yet? Some places have dodgy reception and a text combined with what3words is probably the fastest way to get help coming instead of minutes of running around and "can you hear me now". Especially helpful off the road as "Ganaraska Forest in from the main parking lot" gets them coming but it will take a while to find you.

Might seem obvious but it does get a bit glossed over in some courses and discussions but the sooner help arrives the better chances the patient survives.

I’m curious is anyone giving you their location using the my3words app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have they got text based 911 working in Ontario yet? Some places have dodgy reception and a text combined with what3words is probably the fastest way to get help coming instead of minutes of running around and "can you hear me now". Especially helpful off the road as "Ganaraska Forest in from the main parking lot" gets them coming but it will take a while to find you.

I don't know about out in the sticks but text to 911 is coming soon here. TBH I'm not looking forward to it. It's hard enough to get people to answer questions in an emergency when I'm speaking with them. With Text to 911 We'll be left on READ all the time.
Also we already get enough prank calls to begin with :cry:

Regarding that last bit, cell triangulation is pretty spot on these days. Unlike what the movies show it's instantaneous and can pinpoint peoples locations within a couple meters.
I remember we had a medical emergency in a Provincial Park once. Was impossible to locate the patient exactly as they could only say "We're by some trees and grass!"
I had them hang up and call 911 again and we got their location pretty quickly and was able to direct the crews in for the rescue

I don't know about out in the sticks but text to 911 is coming soon here. TBH I'm not looking forward to it. It's hard enough to get people to answer questions in an emergency when I'm speaking with them. With Text to 911 We'll be left on READ all the time.
Also we already get enough prank calls to begin with :cry:

Regarding that last bit, cell triangulation is pretty spot on these days. Unlike what the movies show it's instantaneous and can pinpoint peoples locations within a couple meters.
I remember we had a medical emergency in a Provincial Park once. Was impossible to locate the patient exactly as they could only say "We're by some trees and grass!"
I had them hang up and call 911 again and we got their location pretty quickly and was able to direct the crews in for the rescue
It could definitely present a workflow/workload issue as now you get one call to deal with and then move on but as you say, with text there may be big gaps with no communication and then a burst of activity. Not sure how to best deal with that at the dispatch level.

911 for medical is fairly reliable, but... Don't rely on it.
I end up calling for ambulance on average once a week... 95% of the time a crew arrives on scene in less than ten minutes, but... Once in a while they don't.
'Had a fairly serious incident recently where Paramedics didn't/couldn't respond for about 35 min.
They couldn't even dispatch one of those ACP's in an SUV so... It was up to those initial non-medical people on scene to do what they could until professional help arrived.
I don't think people need a high level of training to be effective first aiders.. A basic understanding of the ABC's will go a long way until the meat wagon can get to a casualty.
The biggest hurdle is getting people to act instead of standing around waiting for someone else to.

That definitely sounds like that poor lady got the best help anyone could ever hope for from bystandards/passerbys. Sucks she didn't pull through.

I didn't mean to say that being trained in CPR or as an emergency first responder isn't important. It definitely is.

I just feel like more often than not, from my personal experience and what I see/hear at work, lots of people don't know what they're doing.
(and that includes not knowing how to call for help)
For sure!

Back
Top Bottom