Bike won't start | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike won't start

timtune

Site Supporter
2019 Kawi KLX250 Ran perfect last season. Heated garage and battery tender.
First start attempt this spring:
Turn the key and the little dash light show does it it's thing. Turn the key off and roll it outside. Turn the key - get a single click and no lights at all. Nothing. Sounded like it could have been a fuse popping.
Check all the fuses, battery @12.6v and leads clean and tight. Still nothing.

It's EFI not even sure where to start. Thoughts??

Kill switch/sidestand lockout working correctly?

Just FYI - what you are describing is nearly identical to what happened to me last year with my TL1000S. Turns out the battery could no longer muster enough juice to turn the starter at all anymore, despite seemingly holding a charge. Part Source will usually test powersports batteries for free

Kill switch and side stand allowed the "light show" first time I turned the key so assume they're good.
Would think 12.6v would at least do the light show even down on amps.
Checked (w/ meter) 5 fuses. 4 mini fuses in a tandem bank and a separate larger 20 amp main.

Did you check the battery voltage again after turning it off and wheeling it out?

Sometimes what you're reading is the surface charge which gives a false voltage reading, and turning it on the first time might have drained what little juice it had.

I don't believe this is likely, but worth testing the battery once again, trying with another battery or jumping it from another battery. At least it will eliminate the battery from the equation.

Edit: After eliminating the battery as the source of the fault, you can also test the grounding.

Last edited:
I'm going to hook up the charger with 10 amp engine boost mode see if that brings the dash lights on again at least.

I'm giving TT the benefit of the doubt that he knows what a dead battery looks like.

I'm betting it's a loose connection, ground wire, something like that.

Bike's electricals turned on. He switched it off, wheeled it outside, bikes electricals didn't turn on. Battery reading 12.6V. Doesn't sound like a dead battery to me.

What is the battery voltage with bike off?
What is the battery voltage with bike turned on?
What is the battery voltage when you hold the start button down?

Wait, hold on... I have something for this...

Here we go:
parts_store.jpg

Jokes asside, I did just replace my battery after the old one mysteriously bit the dust. Then it died again, and I started panicking, until...

I'm giving TT the benefit of the doubt that he knows what a dead battery looks like.

I'm betting it's a loose connection, ground wire, something like that.

Bike's electricals turned on. He switched it off, wheeled it outside, bikes electricals didn't turn on. Battery reading 12.6V. Doesn't sound like a dead battery to me.
That's what I thought. I put a charger, on turned the key and it lit up. Guess it was dead.
How does a battery showing 12.6v not have enough juice to light the dash or click the solinoid.
Also my battery tender was lit solid green showing full charge.
Live and learn......

How does a battery showing 12.6v not have enough juice to light the dash or click the solinoid.

I've seen a surface charge of higher and as soon as you put load on it, it drops like a rock, but then comes back up after you remove the load. I believe it's caused by one or more bad cells. So the true test is to check the voltage before touching the key, while turning the key on, and while pressing the starter.

Back
Top Bottom