Bike with Less Character | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike with Less Character

Immediate fail = any bike with a single exhaust on the kickstand side of the bike.

Everyone reading this thread:

iStock_000008419399_Small.jpg

"Yes... no... no... yes... no..."

Thats a beauty. Congrats @sburns.

Anybody know what happened to @V-Tom ? He hasn't been around for a while. Maybe too busy piling on the miles and wearing out another v-strom.

Yeah busy working and riding.

In May was in West Virginia for a meetup. Two weeks later in North Carolina for a meetup. Was somewhere on the Canada Day long weekend. (Camping with a friend I think that weekend.). Civic weekend in New York State for an extended (pretended?) Meet up and right now rode down to to Atlanta (very hot down here. 38c at.one point.). I'm home next week and then riding to Calgary for my Daughter's wedding which in in the Labour Day weekend. I might end up with more mileage in 2024 than the 60,090 km I rode in 2022.

Stroms are great bikes for riding!

..Tom

Strom is the German word for current/power/torrent/river/flowing electricity.

This, from a Japanese company.

Ironically, the Japanese word for "river" is "Kawa"...

I understand that the original V-Sttom was designed by Suzuki Germany.

..Tom

@sburns
Are you sure about the regular gas?

My 2020 1050 calls for
"Use PREMIUM unleaded gasoline with min. 90 pump octane"

Hmmm .
My quoted message was from the sticker on the tank.
I will take a look at my manual when I get home just for the fun of it.

This is what I want....

EDIT: This would be the goal...found on Ducati Scrambler forum...

img_9139-jpg.50410
I chose this, with integral brake light. (I didn't buy it from here)

Hmmm .
My quoted message was from the sticker on the tank.
I will take a look at my manual when I get home just for the fun of it.
I found my sticker. Yup says 87 octane (y)

Surprisingly the stickers on this bike are very helpful. Sticker at the back for tire pressure.

Hey @oioioi since you seem to have all the upgrades covered, do you have anything for GPS mount?
I'd like something just above the dash. :)

I found my sticker. Yup says 87 octane (y)

Surprisingly the stickers on this bike are very helpful. Sticker at the back for tire pressure.

Hey @oioioi since you seem to have all the upgrades covered, do you have anything for GPS mount?
I'd like something just above the dash. :)
My dash is a little different than yours. I have a factory accessory bar above my speedo.

The ball mount at the end of the bolt that secures the accessory bar is not stock. I replaced the factory bolt with the ball mount. I wanted the GPS and its mounting arm to be as little as possible.

I am thinking of replacing the phone mount and possibly GPS with a 5 inch (or ideally 7 inch) Android Auto screen from AliE as mentioned on another thread.

@sburns
Which model did you end up getting?
Did it come with any "features" i.e. heated grips, cruise control, riding modes?
I see no centre stand in the first picture.

However here is my set up.

1692124397905.png

1692124314338.png

1692124344308.png

I do recommend adding a high output USB 3.0 Charger on the opposite side of the stock one.
The factory one has only one port and is the "standard/slow" type. The one I installed also displays the battery voltage as a bonus. My speedo/dash also have battery voltage reading from factory.
1692124609912.png

Last edited:
Now I will have to look at the sticker on the tank. I didn't know there was one 😬
As expected, manual and sticker have the same info.

As far as I know we don't have 90 in Canada (or at least Ontario) so 91 it is.
Having said that I think some guys on the Vstrom Forum are running regular on their 1000s and are not reporting any issues.
1692124996126.png

As expected, manual and sticker have the same info.

As far as I know we don't have 90 in Canada (or at least Ontario) so 91 it is.
Having said that I think some guys on the Vstrom Forum are running regulars on their 1000s and are not reporting any issues.
View attachment 62672
With modern engine management computers, they normally just pull timing if lower octane fuel is used. You lose a few hp but don't hurt anything. Some manufacturers use premium to get higher hp numbers for marketing but only require regular. Tiny text lets you know that regular is safe but may affect performance.

Back
Top Bottom