Bike not going over 5000rpm | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike not going over 5000rpm

ts

Site Supporter
Two weeks ago I bought a 2008 R6. Seems like I've been having issues with her since day 1. This morning was my
first ride to work on her and she didn't do very well, left home, everything fine, got gas, than she didn't work so well. Wasn't getting power, almost like the brakes were stuck on...she wouldn't go pass 5000rpm in 5th gear and couldn't get her to go pass 130....??? would it be water in the gas?

Any ideas?

Thanks~

Is there a fuel filter that could be plugged and adding fuel stirred up crud in the tank?

I haven't had time to check anything, I'm at work...I'm just nervous about having to actually ride it home

maybe low fuel pressure, crap in the tank/filter blockage. Disconnect the fuel hose, put it in a bucket, then turn on the ignition (so the pump primes, don't try to start it), careful the fuel may come out quick when the pump primes, see if you have a good amount of fuel pressure. It should spray out pretty quick. I'd also have a look at the electrical to make sure your getting spark in the plugs, just for good measure.

If its none of this, possible loss of compression in the cylinders?

I doubt it's water in the gas unless you went to some hillbilly pump somewhere and got premium.. Could be clogged fuel filter, or a fuel pump going bad. Could be the throttle position sensor..I know some R6's have issues with that. Also the ECU can do random things..sometimes keying it off and on will reset that. Is it throwing any error codes on the dash? Check engine light? Could also be a clogged vent on the tank..try opening the gas cap and see if that helps. I believe the vent is right at the filler lid on that bike.

Is it all stock? Ex-race bike?

I had a sort of a similar issue with my 2007 R6 where I would have a flat spot at 3-5k RPM. It would go over, however, I had to crank it open.

The problem was fuel. I bought a can of fuel supplement (for one tank) and stopped pumping 94 Sunoco.

I switched to 91 Shell (which has 0% ethanol), fixed the problem.

Ethanol is no good for our motors.

(Ps. - these were instructions given to me buy a Yamaha mechanic)

Is your check engine light on? Have you tried putting the bike into diagnostic mode to see if any trouble codes have showed up?

Setting the diagnostic mode
1. Turn the main switch to ?OFF? and set the engine stop switch to ?ON?.
2. Disconnect the wire harness coupler from the fuel pump. ***(i never do this)***
3. Simultaneously press and hold the ?SELECT? and ?RESET? buttons, turn the main switch to
?ON?, and continue to press the buttons for 8 seconds or more.

Once you see self diag on the screen

All displays on the meter disappear except the odometer/trip meter/fuel reservoir trip meter/stop
watch displays.
? ?dIAG? appears on the odometer/trip meter/fuel reservoir trip meter/stop watch LCD.
4. Press the ?SELECT? button to select the diagnostic mode ?dIAG?.
5. After selecting ?dIAG?, simultaneously press the ?SELECT? and ?RESET? buttons for 2 seconds
or more to activate the diagnostic mode. The diagnostic code number ?d01? appears on the
odometer/trip meter/fuel reservoir trip meter/stop watch LCD.
6. Set the engine stop switch to ?OFF?.
7. Select the diagnostic code number corresponding to the fault code number by pressing the
?SELECT? and ?RESET? buttons.

I had a sort of a similar issue with my 2007 R6 where I would have a flat spot at 3-5k RPM. It would go over, however, I had to crank it open.

The problem was fuel. I bought a can of fuel supplement (for one tank) and stopped pumping 94 Sunoco.

I switched to 91 Shell (which has 0% ethanol), fixed the problem.

Ethanol is no good for our motors.

(Ps. - these were instructions given to me buy a Yamaha mechanic)

Not saying you're wrong about the ethanol, but I don't think the symptoms would be as severe as mentioned. It would lean out the motor but I don't think it would be too serious. I ran 94 and it wasn't quite as nice as Shell 91, but it wasn't unrideable. Most FI bikes are fairly lean at the 3-5k range and that's why you got that flat spot with ethanol. Having said that, if there is another underlying problem and 94 was used, it's possible that caused the symptoms mentioned to appear more obviously.

The bike is all stock...I'll try a couple things before I ride it home...I think i well bring it straight to a shop..seeing I've had so many issues and haven't even ridden 100 k yet. When we picked it up from the dealer, I rode the whole way home with the temperature hitting 250F...and the temperature light constantly coming on. When i actually got it home, we looked and the rand was completely dry and no coolant in the overflow...it was dark that night and the bike was too hot so decided to wait until the next day to add coolant..next day put the bike up on the back stand...boom back stand broke, bike fell off stand...so you can imagine how frustrated I'm getting every time i sit on the bike and there are issues.

The bike was running fine, from my house to petrocanada...put premium in the bike...left the gas station than the issues started....no error codes came up...i only thing i did was reset the trip meter.

ps....the bike sounds like it revving really high but I have no power...but yet It wont go over 5000rpm

What dealer sold you a bike without coolant?

Can you tell us what dealer you bought the bike from? Is it a US bike?

You should share the name of the dealer, to protect other ppl at the very least.

+ 1 on the fuel filter and pump! I would also check your air filter, make sure it's not clogged up, and while your in there check the plugs or replace them. How many K's on the bike? As stated above I would put in diag mode and check for fault codes and also check your tps sensors and make sure there all within spec! Spend some time reading through the service manual and use diag mode to help narrow down your issue.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/pdf/LIT-11616-21-61.pdf

ps....the bike sounds like it revving really high but I have no power...but yet It wont go over 5000rpm

Does it sound like it's revving higher than the tachometer is showing?

Does the bike REV and not go anywhere? or does it NOT REV and and not go anywhere?

Maybe clutch is toast.....it makes the power/rpm's but won't go anywhere.....does it feel like a clutch issue or motor issue?

Relating to gas stations, I avoid ultramar, my bike HATES it.
I only use 87 octane in the FZ6 that's all it requires, you gain nothing by going supreme if your bike doesn't call for it.
In the winter on the sled I only use Shell 91 as that has 0% Ethanol. High performance big 2 stroke motor combined with cold weather and ethanol just don't mix.

Also make sure your ex-up valve isn't stuck closed? That would cause you not to rev past 5k rpm and sound higher pitched. No air flow=bike not like!! That would also throw a cel light and fault code pending no mods done to the servo motor?

Update...the bike is back to the dealership where we bought it at. Not sure the problem still, But it hasn't been a nice few weeks. We have yet to ride the bike more than 5 k and not have a issue, upsetting when you buy a bike from a dealer. I well give a update once we get the bike back, as for the place where we got the bike, I well also give a updated post once i get the bike back in running order.

Thanks for everyones advise

What dealer sold you a bike without coolant?

Yes A dealer sold us a bike with NO coolant...They asked where it went...There was no coolant in the bike to go anywhere..I mean ZERO, there are no leaks in the rad...The customer service has not been very helpful, blaming us for the problems

Back
Top Bottom