Big bike off-road guidance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Big bike off-road guidance

Clutt-225

So after a few years of ownership I’ve decided to take the Ktm 1190 off road a little deeper than I have. I’ve done a few rail trail rides and I’m now confident that I can handle something more.
i now have a friend that has an 890 adventure that will join me. Always good to have a friend to help pick up this beast after a drop.
Anyhow getting started and what I need.
Im swapping out the street bias tires this week for some 50/50 tires (tkc70 rocks rear and tkc80 front)
Skid plate installed earlier this week. Rad guard and smaller soft tail bag in shipping.
I live minutes from the Ganaraska so that will be the destination for a few rides.
I also ride mountain bike there and rode atv and snowmobile in Northumberland forest 15 years ago So I’m slightly familiar with the forest.
Where can I pick up a decent trail map of the forest?
Does a blue plated vehicle requir a trail pass?
Can you get a trail pass for all Ontario like an OFSC?Do other Adv guys buy a pass for every trail system they encounte?
Any other tips from the big dirt bike crowd?

Firstly, the 1190 is way big for the Ganny. You can do it but not ideal, especially for a newer rider.
All vehicles require a pass for the Ganny.
You can buy an OFTR pass (ontario federation of trail riders), this covers most but not all trails.
EOTA (eastern ontario trail association) has their own trails and passes.
You can get away without passes if you're quickly passing through, however a single fine if caught is 3 times the cost of a pass.
Obviously don't ride alone, especially on the big bikes and have fun.
Also, look into the Maprika app, they have the best trail maps of the Ganny.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Thanks
I know it’s a big bike but my intentions are not ripping through the single track trails but more a cruise through the forest to the next bit of back road. I have run the ATV rail trails in my day trip loops up around Marmora campbellford Hastings area. It’s fun but a lot of pavement to pound before I get there.
I’ve run a fair bit of gravel road. Ive been in a few trails of the Ganny and Boundry road north of Oshawa but the sand made it too challenging on my Conti trail attack 2’s. Hopefully the TKC 80 can inspire more off-road confidence.
ive looked at buying a dirt specific bike but I just want to explore and not be held back when I hit pavement.
My Racing days are done. Except my mountain bike I still race it.

I bring a coil of paracord heading off road. Ideally a few more short pieces and a few pulleys as well. I have had to drag a stuck bike out of the mud before and there was no way to pull hard enough standing in the goo. That was on fire trails off elephant lake road. You shouldn't have as much mud in the ganny but the sand isn't much better.

lots of easy double track in the Ganny. Have fun. FWIW I like the Kenda K270s on my klr. They are good in mild dirt/gravel.

Well after 5hrs of riding what had to be 60% Or 70% Ganny and Northumberland forests.
I’m very impressed With the bikes off-road manners. You just have to relax and let her do her thing. You can’t force a bike that big. Just make suggestions with your imputes and let her dance. And if you have to ask if you should be standing then stand up.
What a riot I’ve been missing out on the best part of an Adventure bike.

Well after 5hrs of riding what had to be 60% Or 70% Ganny and Northumberland forests.
I’m very impressed With the bikes off-road manners. You just have to relax and let her do her thing. You can’t force a bike that big. Just make suggestions with your imputes and let her dance. And if you have to ask if you should be standing then stand up.

Good for you for taking your Adventure bike on an Adventure!

Lots of good dirt roads in that area and around Port Perry. I have a modified version of the Bethany ride that I do and it’s good fun on the 1090. You can pm me and I can show you them sometime.

I don't think 5hrs would cover 60% of the Ganny. It's huge.
Were you riding any single track?

I don't think 5hrs would cover 60% of the Ganny. It's huge.
Were you riding any single track?
Sorry I meant 60 or 70% of my 5hrs was off-road riding.
I’m not planing Any single track yet. I won’t turn away but I’m taking it slow.
Still learning the ropes with the big bike off road. It’s definitely not like a dirt bike.
Its capability is there but it’s different.

Well it was bound to happen 😂 I was bored yesterday so I went out for some Thanksgiving / fall colour light trails just north of my house. Was blasting down a wet gravel road and came over a hill into the middle of a flock of wild turkey.
no contact but very close. Wish I had a go pro because a still shot would have been great. Any how carried on. The rain was making the san much much easier to handle but on the other hand it turned the black earth into slick mess.
Down I went. Not the first time but the first one I took documentation of.
Its maybe the third down. All have been pretty soft so far.
No injuries, no broken parts, had fun so it was a win all round.

I hate it when those happen. You have a decent speed going and the road feels like you can grip it well, but then a low spot with some slick muck comes along when you are not expecting it and down it goes.

Maybe look into some double take folding mirrors to swap out for these types of rides to preserve your nice OEM ones.

Well it was bound to happen 😂 I was bored yesterday so I went out for some Thanksgiving / fall colour light trails just north of my house. Was blasting down a wet gravel road and came over a hill into the middle of a flock of wild turkey.
no contact but very close. Wish I had a go pro because a still shot would have been great. Any how carried on. The rain was making the san much much easier to handle but on the other hand it turned the black earth into slick mess.
My powerwasher is getting finicky. Lets do a group buy on new ones.

I feel your pain,I picked up a 2019 Tiger 800 a couple of weeks ago and already had three low speed get offs at the Ganny.Today I hit Boundary road near Blackstock and had to turn around,absolutly no traction in the black soil and this is with 50/50 tires.Never had a problem with dirtbikes,these things are heavy lol.

Today I hit Boundary road near Blackstock and had to turn around,absolutly no traction in the black soil and this is with 50/50 tires.Never had a problem with dirtbikes,these things are heavy lol.

Yep, I got stuck in the mud on Boundary Road on my 955i Tiger a few years ago. What a disaster!

lookin at the pics...ok knobby on the front
rear looks like a street tire, knobby up lol

lookin at the pics...ok knobby on the front
rear looks like a street tire, knobby up lol
Rear tire is a TKC 70 Rocks and is actually about perfect for my riding,
haven't had any issues yet with the rear. On the front I’m running TKC80 and yes it’s good in the dirt it’s meh on the street which is still most of my riding.
I went with the 80 front knowing full well it is not going to last long but wanted the most confident tire within reason on the front. Even still these tires are only a couple months old and already showing wear.

Back
Top Bottom