Bicycle Protests | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycle Protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thousands of people use Lakeshore Blvd. daily. Why should it be blocked off for 4-5 days for some special interest groups like car racing enthusiasts?

Ah, it's only events/activities that you're fond of that should get special treatment. Everyone else can pound sand. Got it.
Yeah, and stop closing the Lakeshore East for cyclists on weekends. Walk like a normal human being.

Oh, and ditto.

These speed limits have been around for like 30 years, right? They're not new, they were just never enforced

If you're a runner, ask yourself how you would feel if you were asked to run half as fast as your normal training pace in the name of "safety", when accident data and common sense already show that you're simply not a great source of danger.
As a driver and a rider, I’m constantly asked to drive or ride less than a half of my normal pace ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Walk like a normal human being.

Ban jogging in High Park. They're doing 5 times the speed of walkers, and are likely to get in 5 times more collisions.

Oh, and ditto.

That's not what I was expecting.

Nah, that's exactly what I expected.

The car and motorcycle enthusiasts have been told ad nauseam that we have to obey the laws and take it to the track if I want to go fast (or practice going fast ;)).

For the body condom wearing, my bicycle is worth more than my car whiners staging their own free-dumb convoy, there's a track for you, too:

The car and motorcycle enthusiasts have been told ad nauseam that we have to obey the laws and take it to the track if I want to go fast (or practice going fast ;)).

For the body condom wearing, my bicycle is worth more than my car whiners staging their own free-dumb convoy, there's a track for you, too:

I wouldn't say that cyclists riding 30-35 is fast enough to take it to the track. As you already know, riding around the track is a substantially different experience in almost every way. The cyclists are arguing that they should be able to do ~50-100 km ride safely. I can only imagine how your body would feel after 200-400 laps of the track.

I do that too and have a dedicated track bike, but Milton is fokkin far.

I do that too and have a dedicated track bike, but Milton is fokkin far.
Down South Kingsway, hammer on the brakes, then up Riverside Drive, playing in traffic, like everyone else use to do.

There is a state of the art velodrome in Milton that was built for the pan am games in 2015 I believe. Maybe all the wanna be racers can go there to practice? Not sure how much it gets utilized or if was just a giant waste of money.

This is just media hype.
I'm going to assume that there were enough close calls that walkers complained, and council decided to do something about it.
Now cyclists are complaining.
We have the same type of situation in Ottawa. Many of the paths are multi use. Speed limits are 20kph, although I've seen one video showing a 10kph limit. Stupid cyclists come wizzing by without warning. Pedestrians are f ing stupid, and not wearing helmets, and don't follow a straight line, so they're going to get hurt.

I'm going to assume that there were enough close calls that walkers complained, and council decided to do something about it.
We have the same type of situation in Ottawa. Many of the paths are multi use. Speed limits are 20kph, although I've seen one video showing a 10kph limit. Stupid cyclists come wizzing by without warning. Pedestrians are f ing stupid, and not wearing helmets, and don't follow a straight line, so they're going to get hurt.
Multi-use paths are doomed to failure. Almost every user is an entitled ass-hat that seems to actively try to block every other type of user (or they are just all completely oblivious to the world around them). You could get away with a single strip of asphalt but it needs to be divided into speed zones (min and max for each zone). A walker in a 20 km/h plus lane deserves to get run over. An adult biker in a <5 km/h lane deserves to get knocked off their bike.

Multi-use paths are doomed to failure. Almost every user is an entitled ass-hat that seems to actively try to block every other type of user (or they are just all completely oblivious to the world around them). You could get away with a single strip of asphalt but it needs to be divided into speed zones (min and max for each zone). A walker in a 20 km/h plus lane deserves to get run over. An adult biker in a <5 km/h lane deserves to get knocked off their bike.

Yup.

I wouldn't say that cyclists riding 30-35 is fast enough to take it to the track. As you already know, riding around the track is a substantially different experience in almost every way. The cyclists are arguing that they should be able to do ~50-100 km ride safely. I can only imagine how your body would feel after 200-400 laps of the track.

The Hour record is the equivalent of 220 laps (55 kmh).

That said, the guys making the "take it to the velodrome" comments are clueless about cycling, let alone the various track disciplines.

So the problem isn't either group. It's just stupidity in general.

Three yrs ago , I could see the Milton velodrome from my house up the hill , we went on an open night , take it too the track is not what anybody thinks or expects . A lot of competent cyclists would struggle for a while on a velodrome.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

There is a state of the art velodrome in Milton that was built for the pan am games in 2015 I believe. Maybe all the wanna be racers can go there to practice? Not sure how much it gets utilized or if was just a giant waste of money.
Track cycling is a specific discipline of cycling. You use a specific track bike that has one speed on a flat surface and you turn in one direction constantly. Very high efforts are being put out.

Just like for motorsports, drag racing is not track racing, is not gymkhana/auto-x, is not stunt is not nascar lol

Some people laugh at lycra, some other people laugh at full leather suits on the street, or at the harley dudes dressed like pirates or at squids with tshirts halfway up their back. And then each group likes to take digs at each other when in the end the general public just sees us all as motorcyclists that "weave through traffic" and "make a lot of noise" with maybe the distinction of cruisers vs rice rockets.

It's easy to judge when you don't understand.

So the problem isn't either group. It's just stupidity in general.
Like many things in life.

Someone was out riding their brakes. Someone else stepped in front, and got clocked. Calls were made. Enforcement was started.

We've got narrow mixed use paths, with lots of yield to pedestrians, max 20 kph signs, and I've had several unannounced close calls over the years.
That's with me walking to the left (facing traffic) and at the very edge of the path most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom