BC Washed Out | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BC Washed Out

Amazon just refunded my order for Sony WF-1000XM4 ANC earbuds. :mad: Said it was because of BC freight embargo. Suddenly dons on me how serious this is.
Basically everything we buy that comes from China and the east comes in through the Port of Vancouver.

Outside of rerouting ships to other smaller ports along the coast, or the larger US ports there’s not much that can be done. Maybe send some to MTL and Halifax, or even Whitby before the St Lawrence shuts down for winter. The supply chain was pooched already so stock is low on the shelves and in warehouses.

Need to do a Geotech analysis of the new conditions, design, tender, and build certain sections unless they forgo the tendering for bridge / major work…then watch the lawsuits fly for unfair practices of govt goes sole source.

I bought a monokey V47 top box for my versys coming from Italy, Really hope it doesn’t get turned around

I bought a monokey V47 top box for my versys coming from Italy, Really hope it doesn’t get turned around
Unless your ship is going through China first or anywhere east bound it should be fine.

Our big machine is coming to Whitby and I’m shocked there’s a large enough port there to offload. I may drive down once I know details of landing just to see it being lifted.

I believe St Lawrence shuts down Jan 1 so then it’s Halifax or one of the east coast ports.

I think @Evoex deals in transport so he may have better input.

Italy most likely will come thru Montreal. The St. Lawrence is open from Montreal to the Atlantic year round thanks to ice breakers.

Good question.

I've been out of the loop for a few months on the current port situations...but if it's coming from Italy then yeah it should land on the east coast for sure. I think you'll be OK...at worst large delays.

Friends in Victoria have had 30 days of rain and are now dealing with cleaned out grocery stores and gas rationing. Thankfully they don't need to drive far. Gas stations are limiting to $45 not 30 Litres as per government order (probably pumps can't volume limit?). If you need premium, you get 24L each trip.

So far cheap. Most of the presents they ordered have been cancelled. Not much you can spend your money on. Hopefully you have enough food in the house

We went on Costco haul over the weekend 😬

Basically everything we buy that comes from China and the east comes in through the Port of Vancouver.

Outside of rerouting ships to other smaller ports along the coast, or the larger US ports there’s not much that can be done. Maybe send some to MTL and Halifax, or even Whitby before the St Lawrence shuts down for winter. The supply chain was pooched already so stock is low on the shelves and in warehouses.

Need to do a Geotech analysis of the new conditions, design, tender, and build certain sections unless they forgo the tendering for bridge / major work…then watch the lawsuits fly for unfair practices of govt goes sole source.

I was talking to a trucker today and it is a nightmare. No one wants empty containers so chassises are tied up. End users are paying thousands of dollars a day in storage because their containers are blocked in. Some of the goods are perishable or have BBDs.

Ridiculous container fees, plus storage and the goods aren't worth the storage.

Last edited:
My oldest daughter is in Vancouver...
'Says that a lot of gas stations are closed/out of fuel.
Grocery store shelves are getting bare.
Last I read there’s a 30L limit on gas per visit.

EDIT to above: didn’t see post about limiting $ not volume.

Best way to make sure people hoard…is tell them not to. Recent history with toilet paper is a good indication.

Get your Christmas presents in soon….cause those shelves are going to be empty.

Last edited:
My daughter hasn't been able to find a gas station that has gas anywhere in the GVA...

Probably going to try going to the states to buy gas/groceries..
Oh wow...sorry to hear.

I'll reach out to some friends in the area see how things are going for them as they're in Vancouver also.

Some people my wife knows were close to getting stuck between landslides. They turned around when they saw a lot of cars parked on the shoulders. It turned out the parked cars had flats from road debris.

They ended up in a small town and slept in their car, no food or water. The next day they were directed to a church where they got to use facilities and got fed. They spent the night sleeping on a pew. Home the next day. It sounds like their house survived.

My daughter hasn't been able to find a gas station that has gas anywhere in the GVA...

Probably going to try going to the states to buy gas/groceries..
All gas stations I passed by in north van had gas. No line-ups either.

I was at keyhole hot springs saturday to sunday that weekend. 60KM FSR. near Pemberton. We had to dig out the cherokee trailhawk to get the chains on. Barely made it through the first 20KM with chains on all wheels. Snow was very very dense. The jeep was getting hung up. We came to a small landslide that washed a tree on the road. With some more digging we managed to pull the tree to the side and continue. Then we met 10 dump trucks with trailers going to the hydro station. One of them had the trailer in the ditch and abandoned it. Four of them got stuck going up a small incline. One by one they struggled to pass without chains and after each wasting 30-40 minutes they put the chains on. The road was narrow so we had to wait 3-4 hours. Seriously WTF is up with truckers and their reluctance to put on chains? This wasn't the first time. Every winter I come across stuck trucks in winter storms without chains.

the chains are noisy and put a lot of weird load on the drive axels , if you have an 80,000lb truck and get wheel spin / then grab you can snap an axle. Its a hazard they will avoid if they can . That and they are lazy as F'uk

Buddy told me there’s a run on toilet paper and Costco shelves are empty. He’s got a Volt so isn’t concerned about gas.

EDIT: he said that an older, slower, highway was reopened as it was never in use so truck movement is opening up. Delayed, but it’s starting to move. Problem is the next few days has more rains coming so that will affect rehabilitation efforts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom