Are you considered Essential to your employer? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are you considered Essential to your employer?

Mad Mike

I read an article that some workers for the city are angry because they are considered "Essential" and must report to work while others on the city payroll are on paid leave.

Are you considered 'Essential'? If so, what are your thoughts about having to report while friends and colleagues are able to stay home?

I'm not essential, but would've been considered as one 2 years ago.

Honestly, I'm working from home now and would actually prefer to go into the office to work. I never thought I'd say this.

Well that's because the City screwed up. The City should have followed the path that every other employer in the country was basically forced to do and written ROE's for all employees that are not needed in the short term (which may become distinctly medium or long term).

Well that's because the City screwed up. The City should have followed the path that every other employer in the country was basically forced to do and written ROE's for all employees that are not needed in the short term (which may become distinctly medium or long term).
I find it sad that some, not all, City of Toronto workers feel that paid time off right now is an entitlement. Even sadder is they demanded anonymity while whining about their plight to the Star. From the Star

It all depends on which way the wind blows...
When it comes to contract negotiations.. No.
Right now all of a sudden... Yes.

And I work for the govt. LOL

On one hand, yes. Because no one can access the network from home i need to be in the office to manage the day to day. Plenty of other departments are working from home/rotating staff out of the office.

On the other, fairly confident we're all replaceable.

Yep. I can't haul concrete from home. We've sold and delivered more concrete since January 1 than any other year in our history. It's been a record setting year and I'm still running 14 hour days.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

There’s only 3 of us here so yeah we all are pretty essential. 1 isn’t coming in after today and hopefully us other 2 can shut it down next week. Tough balancing act.

We have been trying to stop new business from the beginning of the week.

I have mixed feelings on the whole thing to be honest.

Car industry, we're all essential. Whether the business itself is, that's another question

I read an article that some workers for the city are angry because they are considered "Essential" and must report to work while others on the city payroll are on paid leave.

Are you considered 'Essential'? If so, what are your thoughts about having to report while friends and colleagues are able to stay home?
I'm essential and at work every day and it's very busy because many are off. I have no issues with these many being off, if this is what the various health agencies are suggesting. I can understand why some might be unhappy. There is a great deal of ever changing information and workplace practices vary greatly from one organization to another and sometimes even across divisions of one organization.

Last edited:
Yep. I can't haul concrete from home. We've sold and delivered more concrete since January 1 than any other year in our history. It's been a record setting year and I'm still running 14 hour days.

You guys along with other construction workers, trades, and delivery guys must be liking the traffic these days. Must make getting things done pretty easy.

Is the ice out yet? When can you get the boat in? If you're going to be isolated, you might as well be sailing.

No kidding, my big boat cant go in until May 4 , harbour rules and I need about two weeks of 12-15d days to get somne bottom work done. Cant get the small boat next to the crane because all the big boats are sitting in the way. I have an offer to move a boat from Tahiti to NZ but cant get a flt out.
Had this hit two months later I would be isolating on the boat..... in the meantime Im getting the new house painted....

You guys along with other construction workers, trades, and delivery guys must be liking the traffic these days. Must make getting things done pretty easy.
Definitely. Traffic is extremely light everywhere. Likely the only upside to this whole thing.
In fact, our company is still hiring drivers.

Is the ice out yet? When can you get the boat in? If you're going to be isolated, you might as well be sailing.
Ice is out on Lake Ontario -- my boat is on the hard in New York ready to float. I'll have to swim across to sneak it out of the US.

The "essential" workers at a non-government company here, feel that it's a good thing that "non-essential" workers aren't allowed into work.
That way the virus is less likely to spread to them. At one point someone asked if they could go in if they wanted to work, and they were told no.
I think this makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom