Aprilia owners | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aprilia owners

bigpoppa

Looking to getting a next bike and would appreciate the ownership experience of Aprilia riders/owners, how has it been?
I've heard from others a good dealer is important, and it sounds like studio cycle might be the best in the GTA now?

Bike will likely be a 70(street)/30(track)

Still shopping around, so not firm on make or model just yet

Thanks

Looking to getting a next bike and would appreciate the ownership experience of Aprilia riders/owners, how has it been?
I've heard from others a good dealer is important, and it sounds like studio cycle might be the best in the GTA now?

Thanks
The ADV bike experience not too your liking?

I believe KTM is coming out with an 890 super duper sport/track capable bike soon. Maybe that'll scratch the itch.

That was quick.
What wrong with the Africa Twin?

19603261a0deb790776-jpg.4807013

Hopefully the production version has more orange paint.

The ADV bike experience not too your liking?

I believe KTM is coming out with an 890 super duper sport/track capable bike soon. Maybe that'll scratch the itch.
I’m keeping the AT, it’s pretty sweet

That was quick.
What wrong with the Africa Twin?
Nothing, but I was reminded at our annual baller meeting in the hamptons by evo and LC that I must buy a new bike every year to remain a member

Nothing, but I was reminded at our annual baller meeting in the hamptons by evo and LC that I must buy a new bike every year to remain a member
It's cheaper to donate a few bucks to the GTAM site to keep your account in good standing.

Thanks
Ive owned 2 aprilias over the years and I regret selling each of them. Great build quality and great character. Cant comment on the newer offerings though.

My Aprilias have been reliable and the parts have been reasonable. I never ran into long delays for parts, but some people have.

The only problem I have ran into is experience with things like valve checks. You definitely want a quality technician.

I also had an Aprilia Tuono. Great bike. I had none of the issues that you hear of from the brand. Although I never risked anything with that bike for fear of having to wait for parts if I messed anything up. I just get bored of stuff easily. Sold it to another GTAMer before the pandemic took hold. I wanted to buy another but the dealer that I bought from originally closed down his shop, and the idea of going too far for service bothered me so I skipped over to Honda. (which is also gone.. lol)

I hopped on my fathers Tuono V4 Factory a few times and its disgusting. Guy put an exhaust on it and showed up at my house one day and boy oh boy is that thing raucous. It makes all sorts of angry, gurgly, space shippy noises when you putt out of the neighborhood. Nail the gas and see ya later friend, I was in giggle city. It is extremely easy to ride as well. Throttle is nice, feels easy to lean into turns, nice bright screen and all the aids to go with it.
Its not for me though but only because I KNOW I will get in trouble in no time even with max nannies. Not much to say much in terms of reliability since I've only changed his oil and everything seemed ok. I want it.

I have owned two Aprilia Tuono's in the last 10 years. In 2012, I purchased a 2012 Tuono with 400kms on it, I put on it 25k kms and I had an issue with the Stator (known issue at the time, a redesigned part fixed the issue) and with the rectifier (back then it was installed in the front of the bike between the headlights and that resulted in unit failings. Then I bought a 2017 Tuono factory new and I went on to put 29k kms on it without a single issue. I got the valves checked at 25k and they were all within spec. I sold it last month. I did all the oil changes and valve check was done at Two-wheels in Guelph.

Last edited:
Bit of an update..
I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes(I think)
Talking to dealers etc...
But having a real hard time picking a winner...hence I turn to the wisdom of gtam (I might be going in for some test drives this week 🤞)

-Street Triple RS
-Tuono 660(factory?)
-890 Duke R

The primary reason this list looks the way it does is because I want a bike that is:
1)Lightweight and handles well
2) Has plenty of usable power and character
3) Sounds and looks good
4) Doesnt have so much power that I end up just riding around using 30% of the bike and its potential on the street.
(as was the case with the superduke) I want to feel like Im wringing its neck and actually giving the bike a 'work out'.
(Sorry ducatistis, I like cruise control)

As mentioned I will also occasionally track it.

My current thinking is heavily influenced by past purchasing decisions and bike ownership.

A concern I have with the street triple is I've heard from some that they tend to be more rev-hungry, and lack a bit of low down punch that I like.

im also not so sure about the KTMs...hella fun bikes, but they tend to be harsh, angry, agricultural and not the best looking or best sounding imo...

Thoughts and opinions welcome (especially if you've ridden a street triple)

I could just throw logic out the window, and go yolo tuono V4

Personally, when it comes right down to it you just can't beat angry. Though with modern engine management it's more angry mode.

I've had 2 bikes that had that special character. A 2005 1050 Speed Triple and a 1999 KTM300EXC. Both perfectly rideable and sedate when you wanted but "give-er" and it's all glorious, laugh out loud fun.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom