anyone own a protege5? feedback/reviews? | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone own a protege5? feedback/reviews?

Fingolfin

Site Supporter
Hello everyone

I'm looking to purchase a cheap hatchback for the next 1/2 years. The hatchback function suits what i'm looking for this year (lots of camping trips, roadtrips, moving, bike rack etc).

I'm not looking to spend anything big, so I've narrowed it down to a used Protege5, or potentially a toyota matrix. I plan to drive this car all summer this year, than it will become a winter car as I hope to purchase a sports sedan/coupe for the summers starting 2013.

The protege's tend to be a lot cheaper, which is the main reason i'm leaning towards them!

Does anyone have any other suggestions or feedback on the protege? I'd be looking at a 2002-2004 model.

Recap:
Cheap (less than $4000)
Space
Good on gas
relatively reliable

thank you for reading and any help you can provide!

In my experience, the Proteges are reliable for the most part (including the 5).
Look for ones that are under 200K in mileage.
The rear brake calipers may be a weak point because they also are the e-brakes (seizing).
Check all the vacuum hoses under the hood (for cracks).
Use good quality tires on these cars.

Well, I've had my P5 since 2002, car can take a beating. The only issue I've had over the years is the tendency for them to rust (I believe the 2002's were more susceptible to this if you didn't have them rust proofed - mine is rusting in/above wheel wells, door panels and on the 'Mazda' sign on the trunk) and how quickly (as Jinster noted) the back brakes needed to be replace more often than other cars I've had. Currently have just over 190k km, no engine issues, just the usual wear 'n tear you'd expect.

If I were you, I'd go for a 2004 if you get the chance, and buy with confidence: these cars will serve you well.

I had a 2003 Protege 5 (4 years from new) and loved it. Right rear brake caliper seizing & a drivers door lock solenoid was the only thing (other than reg maintenance) I had to do to it. (100,000km). I have seen more than few with bad rusting. Though I've noticed they either have it really bad or very little. I would have kept mine but it was the end of a lease and time for something else.

The engine is a reliable 2.0L

They did not make a 2004 (the 3 came out for that year). I like the 2003 more the little things like side marker lights and I like the rims better (more squared, less rounded). Lots of spare used parts around.

I liked the protege enough that when it came time for a second car I bought a '99 sedan (same generation). I tried to find a P5 when I needed the 2nd car but none in my price range/wanted condition/timeframe.

i had a 2002 and had absolutely no problems with anything in the 5 years i owned it...mind you, i only had about 70000 k when i traded it in but it was solid to the core...handles great in snow and i didn't even put winter tires on it, kept the same ones on it year round...only reason i traded it in was to get a miata convertible, otherwise, i would still be driving it...find one that you're happy with and buy with confidence...mazda makes a great product...

Rustbox!!!

I've yet to see one without serious rust problems. Nice car otherwise... But its useless if its rotting away.

I had mine for almost 10 years. As mentioned, it rusted around the badges on the hatch door, and the rear calipers were prone to seizing. Other than that, it was an excellent car.

I had a p5 also, would I recommend it, not really. Especially if you have the Matrix as the other car on the list.

I had a 2003 and as the others said the engine itself was good and the overall styling I really liked (thats why I initially bought it) but i didn't like the following
1) broken rear hatch damper (the ball joint siezed and broke 2 hours after I drove it off the lot)
2) rear brakes siezed also
3) air intake hose broke
4) drivers side auto window stopped working
5) the rust, oh the rust - back hatch and wheel wells (I haven't seen one that didnt have this problem, I think Mazda owes their customers for this problem but whatever)
6) and the final straw was the car dying on the road twice (with no codes to indicate what it was) - it was traded the next day.

Hope this helps.

For your outlined criteria, I'd consider buying a 10 year old Subaru Outback or a Subaru Impreza TS Wagon. You can find some good examples that have been taken care of and are rust free. A lot of Subaru drivers tend to put a lot of KM's on their cars but take very good care of them.

Since you plan to convert the car to a winter beater once you get something else, an AWD Subie would be a much better winter workhorse than an MP5. It can definitely handle your moving/camping needs as well and is also decent on gas and reliable.

I had a 2002 and it was CRAP!!!. Basically I will not buy another mazda because of this car. Within the first year I had to have it back in as it was already rusting through, went through two alternators, a computer, two major brake jobs, air conditioner wasn't working and that was just the first year...it went downhill from there.

Rustbox!!!

I've yet to see one without serious rust problems. Nice car otherwise... But its useless if its rotting away.

Agreed!!

Your engine will outlast your body

I'd spring for the Toyota. Spend a little more now, save a lot of $$ and headaches later.

Toyotas have been bulletproof for many, nmany years.

Only fairly recently, has Mazda quality been stepped up.

I'd recommend a new Mazda 3 any day of the week, but the older Mazdas not so much.

I still have a 2002.

It's rusting.

Right front strut went, air conditioning compressor went, gas pump leaked from the top, rear windshield wiper is dead, right rear lock solenoid is dead, EGR replaced, Rear brakes wear out long before the fronts do.

I know there's stuff I'm forgetting, but even after all that I still like the car.

Engine is extremely basic and has a flat spot around 3000RPM.

I'd spring for the Toyota. Spend a little more now, save a lot of $$ and headaches later.

Toyotas have been bulletproof for many, nmany years.

I'd recommend a new Mazda 3 any day of the week, but the older Mazdas not so much.

The 3's are suffering from rust issues as well.

Correct... I've had 04 and up Mazda 3's come on my lot with weird rust spots.
The kind of rust you will find on older Civics.

OP, if you can afford to spend the extra $$$ now, go for the Matrix.
Much better build/quality.

Correct... I've had 04 and up Mazda 3's come on my lot with weird rust spots.
The kind of rust you will find on older Civics.

OP, if you can afford to spend the extra $$$ now, go for the Matrix.
Much better build/quality.

I'm glad I didn't get a Mazda 3

Hence my quote of saying I would by a "new" 3.

Mazda took steps on the newer models to correct some of the problems with the rust issues. They implemented new process during the manufacturing to reduce intrusion of water around the wheel wells, and apparently thicker metal.

I believe the majority of the rusting issues were around the wheel wells.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom