anyone moto- tour italy? | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone moto- tour italy?

djbordie

Site Supporter
http://www.cimt.it/milan_motorcycle_rental.htm

Looking to ride from Milan to Catania (sicily)

Should i go east coast? west coast? middle? any suggestions?

google maps says ~1400km

I am renting in Milan and dropping off in Catania, should be a fantastic trip. I cant believe they offer one way rentals!

now for the bikes, i am thinking the f800r or the multistrada? Any opinions/suggestions? coming from a zx6, dont want something too comfortable.

is 4 days enough? 5 maybe?

thanks for the input!

Suzuki V-Strom 650 300 400 500 600 690 1205 82.50 2000
BMW F650GS (twin) 330 440 550 660 760 1345 85 2500
BMW F800R 330 440 550 660 760 1345 85 2500
Triumph Bonneville 800SE 330 440 550 660 760 1345 85 2500
BMW F800GS 390 520
755 865 1555 105 2500
Ducati ST3 390 520 640 755 865 1555 105 2500
Ducati ST4s 420 560 690 815 935 1695 115 3000
BMW R1200GS 420 560 690 815 935 1695 115 3000
BMW R1200RT 450 600 740 875 1005 1835 125 3500
Ducati Multistrada 1200

*prices starting from 3 days on left column.

are you interested in stopping in major cities/areas like Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast? They're all on the west coast.

Also, I know you want to go south from Milan, but the Alps are not too far north, so you may want to consider going north a bit, then coming down.

Your best bet is to ask your question at advrider.com.

I'd lean towards the F800R or r1200rt

have fun ! When I rode in Italy, I was old by the locals that essentially for motorcycles there aren't really any laws you have to worry about... SPEED is just a suggestion as are lane markings

how long ago was that?

i know the general unspoken rules, but seems to be a litte more enforced lately...at least in cars.

I just rode there in August about 4 months ago...

I rode thru Germany, Austria, Italy (the dolomites region in the north) and Switzerland...

I was warned NOT to speed in Switzerland. Also carry Euro's with you, I got pulled over in Austria and it is pay on the spot. No pay and jail time :D

I rented from Diego at CIMT, he was fantastic. Great company to deal with. My ride went from Milan to Genoa to Florence to Ancona to Croatia to Venice to Verona and back to Milan. It was amazing ... ride the west coast through (above) cinque terre. The ride was slow going and technical with no guard rails to prevent you from falling off the cliffs into the sea. Truly breathtaking scenery, although I only got to check out one of the five towns on the coast. When we cut across Italy to the other coast, we slabbed it 'till about Florence, and took some mountain roads over to the east coast. Again, amazing. I can't recall the names of the particular highways, but it's a road used as a test course for Ducati. My brief time riding south along the east coast was not nearly as rewarding as the west coast ... but I didn't go too far south, as we hopped on a boat to Croatia.

Some of the nicest riding I've ever done. You're gonna love it! have fun!

Oh, and i rented an VStrom 650. It was perfect for two-up and handled the twistys no problem. could have used more go on the highway, but it seemed to cruise at 140 without issue.

Last edited:
If you want to ride the roads worth riding and not spend time on "autostrada" then 3 days is nowhere near enough, particularly if you want to explore the Alps a bit - which you should. I'd set aside a week for it!

Out of the bikes in that list, my pick would be the BMW F800R. I did a european trip a couple years ago on a rental BMW F800ST, a close cousin of that bike, and it was very well suited to the conditions. Light and nimble when needed, but it'll go on motorways/autostrada/autobahn no problem.

edit: took a look at the chart on the rental page. They are allowing 250 km per day before extra charges per km. I found that riding on the backroads over there, 250 - 300 km was a good full day anyhow. If you book it for a week then you have 1750 km before extra charges.

Last edited:
wow Brian and Hdrod, good info.

I am very excited. that f800r looks perfect. Although id still take a SS over that.

The ducati test area, i totally planned on hitting that area/seeing the outside of the factory.

My whole thing was instead of taking a plane from rome to catania...why not ride.

Is it possible to sneak in some track days? Would be a shame not to hit some world class tracks, maybe swing by Rossi's place also. PS, you are one lucky SOB to have a place in Italy. I'm green!

Why only see the outside of the factory???? Go to the Ducati site and book a full tour. I did it last year and it was very interesting. They won't let you near the test track or race bike area. Ferrari is not far away from Ducati too but the only way you're getting inside their factory is if you are an owner...I tried and am not. They do have a small museum and their are Ferraris all over town though if you're into that.

I checked out your route. We have good friends in Italy, including one that works for the ministry of transportation. They were universal in recommending against riding across the heal of the boot. Bad roads, lots of permanent construction, and not the safest. Better if you go down the west coast to cut across about the level of Naples and down from there.

Another factor to consider is the time of year you are going. Going down the center is all small roads, through the mountains. Lower speed limits, but lots of curves as you go up and down the hills, and relatively speaking, little traffic. If it is in the winter, the roads may be dicey, while the cost will be okay. In the summer it will be cooler in the center. Figure on making about 1/3 - 1/2 the rate down the middle compared to the Autostrada on the coasts. And that 1400 km will be much higher, since you are not going in a straight line. Better food in the small towns to, as opposed to the Autogrills on the Autostrada.

I had a vendor one time rent a Ferarri to do the Amalfi coast, only to find he was stuck in traffic. So maybe avoid some of the more popular tour destinations like that if you are in high season.

If you are up Bologna way, and want to see the Ferarri or Ducati museum (and Ducati also do factory tours), make sure you prebook.

Have fun in Sicily!

Went last June. Absolutely amazing and twisty roads there. My wife has relatives there and got to borrow her cousins quad, scooter and cruiser to do some booting around.

I dream of the day I can go back there with a SS and really gobble up the roads.

Great weather, very little traffic in the small towns, lax police presence, amazing up and down mountain winding, twisty roads, and drivers that respect riders and are used to seeing bikes on the road!

Back
Top Bottom