Anyone knowticed the highway maintenance crews are trying to kill us? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone knowticed the highway maintenance crews are trying to kill us?

Kyle

I may be being alittle silly with the title but it feels that way to me. I cant count the number of times ive come around a corner on the highway lately or off a highway to highway merge where ive been met at the end of the ramp/corner by road grading done and no warning signs of the construction having been done!

WTH! going thru a corner hot and ending up on the graded road throws a bike all over the place. are the maintenance teams not thinking or what?!

Im actually a little worried because it has snuk up on me a couple times and has the potental to be devistating.

Uhhh...I'm pretty sure that signage is required by any road crew performing work. Maybe come around the corner a little less "hot".

I notice everything on the road. Ide notice the signs. im going to keep stock of where they are and post them up but off the top of my head right now I can only state the one befor the evans ave onramp to west bound qew. it is signed and im not complaining about that one, but its a good example of what im talking about. Small patches like that, all over the place and in the worst locations. Many with out signs.

Newsflash: road construction happens everywhere in the GTA in the summer.

Shoulder grading doesn't require any signage, nor does any mobile or very short duration work... Only requires a 360deg rotating beacon and 4-way flashers. (Below 60km/h). Over 60 km/h adds the need for an arrow board either on a sign truck or on the work vehicle itself.

Look up "Book 7" and you will find simplified examples of typical closures for types of work.

Of course these are recommended practices and I would imagine most companies (esp. towns) would go beyond whats in book 7 within reason. The company I work for certainly exceeds book 7 for any roads work we do... but we're anal and really like signs, pylons and shiny things!

There are two seasons in Canada - winter and road work. As on topic, there are many places where these a-holes put huge metal covers across the roads and don't put the signs.

There's grading on the 427 south, the curve before the qew/403/eglinton split, and no warning. I went on that curve a little "hot" lol and scared the **** out of me

I notice the typical theme is "going hot" into blind turns. That's also the typical theme for many, many crashes.

Don't blame the road crews for your stupidity. Slow down to a reasonable speed when you don't know what's waiting around the bend, and you'll be fine.

I notice the typical theme is "going hot" into blind turns. That's also the typical theme for many, many crashes.

Don't blame the road crews for your stupidity. Slow down to a reasonable speed when you don't know what's waiting around the bend, and you'll be fine.

Agreed

oh pull your heads out your a**everyone goes hot in corners. dont act all high and mighty because people are saying there comming into corners "hot" and thats the problem... If you cant handle a ramp such as the one discribed above thats fine for you. Thouse of us who can handle it at speeds, excessive or not, have made such a choice. Im not saying im in the right for taking the 401-427 south ramp at 120km, but by the same token, how can you say its the common "trend". because going into it hot or not, the grading still is there, unsigned, unexpected. Oh, Im sureeeee theres rules that they need to sign everything, but your being ignorant if you believe that what there "supposed" to do and what they actively do, arent two different things.

oh pull your heads out your a**everyone goes hot in corners. dont act all high and mighty because people are saying there comming into corners "hot" and thats the problem... If you cant handle a ramp such as the one discribed above thats fine for you. Thouse of us who can handle it at speeds, excessive or not, have made such a choice. Im not saying im in the right for taking the 401-427 south ramp at 120km, but by the same token, how can you say its the common "trend". because going into it hot or not, the grading still is there, unsigned, unexpected. Oh, Im sureeeee theres rules that they need to sign everything, but your being ignorant if you believe that what there "supposed" to do and what they actively do, arent two different things.

The point is that grading or rough roads wouldn't be a problem at reasonable speeds. Your whining is selfish.

Kyle said..."Im not saying im in the right for taking the 401-427 south ramp at 120km,"

If you are doing the ramp at 120 you should put some money away for your funeral.
Keep those kinds of speeds for the track.

Im sorry but calling it selfish to warn other riders about the fact that a bad road condition has been popping up almost stratigically around highway ramps with out proper warning and sinage is just rediculous. The fact that you cant see that there is grading being done, in areas of speed, and where turning is involved shows me that your either self centered in your own little world. or that you just plain cant see the possable dangers involved with grading and not paving on a so called blind corner.... hell just riding over grading in a stright line on the highway tosses a bike around some times. 401 @ young is a perfect example. normal 100 kmh speeds and even cars are jostled by the grading. so why would you live in such a false idea that its ok on a blind corner on a highway... smarten up.

keep it for the track? are you serious? you are aware that even though the posted speed on 400 series highways is 100 KMH that 95% of people traviling on thouse highways are traviling in excess of 120 kmh? look at your speedo next time your on the 401. do 100 and see how many people are high beaming and passing you.

and dont start telling me about that ramp and funirals. My father is living proof of what that ramp can and will do to a rider. I almost lost him on that ramp, and i take that one inperticular verry seriously.

Back
Top Bottom