Anyone know a Crane Operator? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone know a Crane Operator?

wearelopey

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into transitioning careers, and have had training in heavy equipment mechanics. Have found the operating side to be much more suited to my passions, and am seriously looking into becoming an Operating Engineer (Crane operator), whether it be tower or mobile crane.

I've begun contacting crane rental companies as to what it takes to become an apprentice.

If anyone is, or knows an operating engineer, I'd love to get in touch as to any advice or tips for getting into this field.

Feel free to post here or get in touch via PM.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I work in construction and on our last job we had a few old timers. The only way in as far as I remember is to get into the union as an apprentice (good luck) and then grease and get coffee for a couple of years for the old guys. If you have a good 'mentor' then they'll let you lift and practice during down times. Takes a long time, but definitely worth it. Each crane operator had his own apprentice (so 3 in total) and each treated their apprentice differently. So they switched them up and let them learn like that.
Currently on our site in BC there isn't a single apprentice, and all the operators take care of their own rig.
A few of them started with the mobile crane where you learn to drive, setup, operator, and take down safely. Our site only used the crawler cranes so once they were set, they were there for good.

Good money for sure, but as always you got to put your time in, and it all depends on who you work for. Keep your name clean, and you'll always have work.

Back
Top Bottom