Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 43 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

If you like the gators check out their grand prix 4-season all the puncture protection with less rolling resistance awesome training tire IMHO.
I don't know if I'm ever going to have to replace the gators. They just won't die. My road bike has faster and more fragile tires so I carry a spare tire if I am without an easy rescue option (so almost all the time).

Ok
91e80e339a1a8441a844bac44ffb56a6.jpg
I put them on yesterday. They needed some convincing but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm guessing that yours are of the tubeless persuasion? I went with tube type (23mm) and Vittoria latex tubes.

These things are fast! Managed to maintain 30km/h over a 30km loop today, first time ever.

Yes I got tubeless. They are fast and unlike most fast parts they are comfortable.

How come you got 23? Did you not get the memo that wider is better?

I know, but the stock 23mm Ultra Sports seemed super close to the brake calipers already, and when I emailed Kona the guy who replied wasn't confident that 25mm would fit. The 23mm GP5000s seem a bit smaller than the Ultra Sports, but they still run super close to the calipers.

I do notice that these absorb bumps and cracks a lot better than the old Ultra Sports. Very comfy ride even at high-ish pressures (I'm running 98-105 PSI right now)

Rear is flat already. One ride in. #facepalm

I may have pinched the latex tube on installation, but I also remember the rear throwing a massive pebble sideways at a house nearby. It sounded awful.

Rear is flat already. One ride in. #facepalm

I may have pinched the latex tube on installation, but I also remember the rear throwing a massive pebble sideways at a house nearby. It sounded awful.

I can see latex tubes on a swept TT or crit course. General riding? Not a chance.

My parting gift to Owen Sound - an improved KOM 🥳 Beat my old KOM by 3s. 800m mostly flat (0.6% grade) sprint in light gravel. Not sure why I kick butt at it. Anyway, come at me, b***** 🙃

I'm moving to the big leagues (TO) in a couple days, that'll be interesting.

Screenshot_20210829_173415_com.strava.jpg

My parting gift to Owen Sound- an improved KOM (beat my old KOM by 3s). 800m mostly flat (0.6% grade) sprint in light gravel. Not sure why I kick butt at it. Anyway, come at me, b***** 🙃

View attachment 50865
What's going on with your heart rate? It should be 100 higher if you are working hard. I assume by kom you mean segment? 0.6% grade is not really a mountain.

Yeah my Wahoo Tickr X crapped out during the ride, first time it happens. I'm typically in the high 160s at the end of this segment.

And yeah KOM is a bit of a misnomer, but that's what they call every fastest time over any type of segment. (CR is Course Record and is reserved for runners.)

Screenshot_20210829_180341_com.strava.jpg
Screenshot_20210829_180607_com.strava.jpg

Swapped it for a regular butyl tube. Can't find the leak in the latex one.
GP5000 is noticeably narrower than the prior GP4000, would be pretty shocking if there’s any road bike out there that can’t fit a 25 GP5000. And putting those 23s on makes it very easy to pinch the tube.

I run latex tubes for my time trial bike race wheel set where every second counts but for regular road bike they would be an absolute PITA having to pump the tires before every single ride. And latex tubes are delicate to install, I make sure to get a few rides in before any race on them to make sure they’re set.

Conti GPs should be plenty durable for most roads. Outside of commuting life is too short to spend riding gators.

My parting gift to Owen Sound - an improved KOM 🥳 Beat my old KOM by 3s. 800m mostly flat (0.6% grade) sprint in light gravel. Not sure why I kick butt at it. Anyway, come at me, b***** 🙃

View attachment 50865
Most (all?) Toronto KOMs are now completely out of reach of mere mortals, and untouchable for anyone on a solo ride. Need to be in a really strong group that is hammering, then make sure to cross the end of the segment at the head of the pack.

or pray to the weather gods. On super windy days target the segments that will give you a 40 km tailwind. I have a few ridiculous times that are 100% unabashedly wind enhanced.

How reasonable is it to do a ride down to Niagara Falls for someone that’s been out of riding a while?

Have a simple road bike with skinny 700c tires and also a mountain bike. Which would be the better option? Both are due for new tires this week so can make the mountain bike a bit more road worthy in terms of tires.

Dundas and Mavis to Niagara. Have always wanted to do it. Always found a reason not to.
Train first, dont start from 0 to niagara. Try to get up to maybe a 70/80 km ride before doing that to get a good feeling of it. It'll teach you how to pace better so you don't overexert yourself

I'd definitely go with road bike as pushing less weight will be better over this distance by a lot.

Anti-chafe cream, bibs shorts, tighter activewear up top to reduce wind resistance as it would be a lot of wasted energy over this amount of time.
Drink a lot of water, try to keep the electrolytes up... nothing worst than cramping on the bike and not being able to keep going.

I went to the Milton velodrome today to do their Try the Track session. Had a total blast 🥳 Going back next weekend to start the track certification process, which consists of four 90-min sessions spread over two weekends.

I have no idea where I'm going with this. I don't really care for racing. I just like circling the track as fast as possible for no reason. 🤷‍♂️ It scratches the same itch that motorcycling does - operating machinery while going fast.

As you can see above, we built a world-class velodrome literally in the middle of ****ing nowhere. Good job us. 👍

@Matt Rain I live 4 minutes away from there and was just asking myself last week if they allowed the general public inside to check the track out...pretty cool that they do...enjoy! 🤗🚴‍♀️

oh, and as for it being in the middle of ****ing nowhere, Laurier University is approved to build a campus on the surrounding lands, just don't know when it's going to happen (has been approved for years LOL)

Last edited:
this channel came up on my YouTube feed tonight...Ed Pratt from Somerset UK who back in 2015 at 19 years old started a RTW trip on a unicycle...some pretty cool footage as I'm watching his Australia trek...recently, he got a tandem bike for his girlfriend and him to ride 1000 km around the coast in Dorset...

Not sure what the current pricing is, but we went to the Velodrome back in 2016 and they had a really cheap intro program - it was probably less than $50 for about an hour on the track on a rented bike and the bikes were brand new. Amazing experience and families could get onto the middle of the track to watch whomever was cycling.

I recently got back into cycling as a form of cross training. I only ride less than 60 minutes at a time, but am starting to like it more and more. Today I finally grabbed some cleats and can finally stop using my running shoes! Also got the bike tuned up by a shop in Mississauga called Pedalinx and they were pretty good to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom