Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

I know the lefty works, but damn, everytime I see one it just seems so wrong.

This should help make the Lefty look more normal. I tried it. It was.........interesting.

a98252775bfe717a9b25b3aac0d136f5.jpg

I am trying to install a crown rave on a carbon fork with a carbon steerer tube. It's not setting all the way down, it's got about 1 cm to bottom out. What's the best way to push it all the way down? Use a PVC pipe and just hammer it?

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I am trying to install a crown rave on a carbon fork with a carbon steerer tube. It's not setting all the way down, it's got about 1 cm to bottom out. What's the best way to push it all the way down? Use a PVC pipe and just hammer it?

You sure it's the right size? That seems like more of a press fit than I would like on carbon. Can you accurately measure the ID of the race and OD of the tube? Maybe others with experience will step in and tell me I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be pounding on it until I was sure that was the correct approach.

Well it's definately not a tapered steerer tube, but it does have a very slight taper.

There can be multiple size races even within the same headset size. It is possible the race is too small for the fork.... I would measure the ID of the race and OD of the fork just above the crown (where the race will go). The ID will be VERY slightly smaller than the OD... Stopping 1 cm from the crown does really sound like it is too small for the fork.

Once you are 100% sure it is the right size. Depending on the size I use PVC or even steel tube/pipe (depends on steer tube size, I like it as tight to the steer tube where the race will fo as possible). Make sure (specially if using a metal pipe) that it rides on the very inside of the race and not where the bearings will reside! I slide it (tube/pipe) over the steerer against the race, turn the fork upside down, hold the fork legs at the crown (with pressure on the crown) and then bang the pipe/tube on the ground, it really does not take much. You want to make sure it is fully seated, if not the headset will come loose after some rides (as it pushes it down more). Use some grease as well... I don't bother with using temp to shrink/expand the two parts.

Make sure the pipe/tube you are using is cut very straight so you do not push the race on crooked.

What you do NOT want to do, rest the fork legs on the ground and then pound it (pipe) with a hammer from the top, you can damage the fork. Some people will do it upright with the a 2X4 (longer than the legs) between the ground and the crown below the steer tube, then hit it with a hammer... I like my way better.

Last edited:
If it isn't 1-1/8 what else could it possibly be that's that close?

If it isn't 1-1/8 what else could it possibly be that's that close?

Tolerance on 1 1/8"? A tight race and/or fat tube? Or one of the other standards. It looks like 1 1/8" can be 41 to 44 mm depending on the standard. I doubt you are out by 4 mm, but some of them are <0.5 mm different which would explain your issues.

Headset Standards

Hold on. Aren't 41 and 44 cup OD sizes? The steerer tube being 1-1/8 should be around 28.575. Parktool table 5 lists for 1-1/8 a crown race ID of 30 and fork seat OD of 30.1, no other sizes.

Hold on. Aren't 41 and 44 cup OD sizes? The steerer tube being 1-1/8 should be around 28.575. Parktool table 5 lists for 1-1/8 a crown race ID of 30 and fork seat OD of 30.1, no other sizes.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
It looks like you're correct. The link I posted is head tube/bearing fits not steerer tube/bearing fits.

I still think yours is strange and would love good ID/OD measurements to see if you have 0.05 to 0.2mm interference.

Park Tool in this case makes it look more complicated than it needs to be.... As usual the late Sheldon Brown has the best answer...

As for your situation daught, did you get a chance to measure the two. If you do not have the tools to do so, where are you located I can take the measurements... I am in Etobicoke...

thanks, its my first proper road bike so don't have anything to compare it to, but I like it a lot
did the same move this year. from a hybrid flat bar to a roadie... the speed gain is addictive

Park Tool in this case makes it look more complicated than it needs to be.... As usual the late Sheldon Brown has the best answer...

As for your situation daught, did you get a chance to measure the two. If you do not have the tools to do so, where are you located I can take the measurements... I am in Etobicoke...
Thanks for the offer, I did not get a change to get the measurements until now.

Bottom of steerer tube is 30.08mm, which is within spec. Looks like I just have to hammer it down with the PVC pipe.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom