Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 467 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Bumpers still attached?

Mine are.

Yessir, my roof is even still attached! And my wheels and random suspension bits haven't fallen off either. And all my car parts are colour matched, my panel gaps aren't big enough to drive a Mack truck though, and the car doesn't regularly decide to try to kill me by steering itself into the nearest parked emergency vehicle.

Horrible, horrible ownership on our 2 Volts though, I tell you. Did I mention that I had to spend a whole $150 to repair an emissions system leak on my 13 year old one with 210,000km on it a few months back? And absolutely not a single thing has gone wrong with our 7 year old one with 130,000km on it? Like, I'm never going to financially recover from this!!?!

Yessir, my roof is even still attached! And my wheels and random suspension bits haven't fallen off either. And all my car parts are colour matched, my panel gaps aren't big enough to drive a Mack truck though, and the car doesn't regularly decide to try to kill me by steering itself into the nearest parked emergency vehicle.

Horrible, horrible ownership on our 2 Volts though, I tell you. Did I mention that I had to spend a whole $150 to repair an emissions system leak on my 13 year old one with 210,000km on it a few months back? And absolutely not a single thing has gone wrong with our 7 year old one with 130,000km on it? Like, I'm never going to financially recover from this!!?!
You just got lucky. Other volt owners haven't been as lucky. I can cherry pick examples of volt problems just like you do for tesla, look:

Consumers Report gave the volt a below average rating while the tesla y is in their top 10 list. How do you explain that?

You just got lucky. Other volt owners haven't been as lucky. I can cherry pick examples of volt problems just like you do for tesla, look:

Consumers Report gave the volt a below average rating while the tesla y is in their top 10 list. How do you explain that?
Reviews and recalls happen for everybody.

Consumer Reports is self-reported drivel. Pick a brand with a high fan-boi ownership base and it will come up roses. CR isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Reviews and recalls happen for everybody.

Consumer Reports is self-reported drivel. Pick a brand with a high fan-boi ownership base and it will come up roses. CR isn't worth the paper it is printed on.
Then what would you recommend as an alternative to CR when it comes to car ratings? I know CR isn't perfect but it's the best we got.

My problem with PHEVs is they're the worst of both worlds. You have the added complexity of both the gas and electric motors, and the added weight, and on long trips a PHEV basically turns into just a gas car. Even daily driving, my commute to work is something like 70 kms so a PHEV couldn't even get me there. The other thing I don't like about them is that PHEVs tend to be boring SUVs/CUVs. I can't think of a sport sedan that is a PHEV. I understand there is a subset of the population for which a PHEV works well, I'm just not one of them. On the other hand I've taken many multi-day road trips in my tesla both in canada and into the US and loved it.

My problem with PHEVs is they're the worst of both worlds. You have the added complexity of both the gas and electric motors, and the added weight, and on long trips a PHEV basically turns into just a gas car. Even daily driving, my commute to work is something like 70 kms so a PHEV couldn't even get me there. The other thing I don't like about them is that PHEVs tend to be boring SUVs/CUVs. I can't think of a sport sedan that is a PHEV. I understand there is a subset of the population for which a PHEV works well, I'm just not one of them. On the other hand I've taken many multi-day road trips in my tesla both in canada and into the US and loved it.
PHEVs are also the worst choice for people who can't charge at home or work.

Then what would you recommend as an alternative to CR when it comes to car ratings? I know CR isn't perfect but it's the best we got.
Good question. I consider self-selecting people self-reporting results in surveys literally useless so I give CR a zero. Whatever they publish does not affect my decisions in any way. Traditional magazines may be slightly better but everything is the best to chase ad revenue so is a shootout winner winning on merit or largest ad spend? Model specific forums give you some idea of what owners are experiencing (normally more negative than positive) and if you get lucky you can find some people that came from or are going to competitors and why they made their decision. I consider those posts gold. While I may not entirely agree and looking at one is insufficient, that was a real person spending their money to change vehicles and they often outline pros and cons of their decision.

PHEVs are also the worst choice for people who can't charge at home or work.
I don't know if they are the worst. Definitely not the best. On a long daily city commute with no charging the PHEV may save enough by being a hybrid to pay for the premium. A normal hybrid with a smaller battery would probably be a better fit but very few models have both (maybe just prius?) so you often don't get your perfect drivetrain in your perfect body style.

i8. Not exactly a cost effective commuter though (nor a sedan).
I actually tried to buy the i4 before i bought my Tesla. They had the same base price and I liked the look of the bmw better. I called several dealers and they all told me they would not sell me the base i4. You had to order a higher trim which pushed the price up by about 10k. They also told me I couldn't pay in cash. I guess they make extra money by financing to you. I have never financed a car and didn't want to start. The great thing about tesla is you don't have to deal with the dealership BS.

I actually tried to buy the i4 before i bought my Tesla. They had the same base price and I liked the look of the bmw better. I called several dealers and they all told me they would not sell me the base i4. You had to order a higher trim which pushed the price up by about 10k. They also told me I couldn't pay in cash. I guess they make extra money by financing to you. I have never financed a car and didn't want to start. The great thing about tesla is you don't have to deal with the dealership BS.
That sucks. I won't be sad when companies using those prick tactics die and disappear. I completely forgot about the i4 and I don't know if I have ever seen one in the wild.

I don't know if they are the worst. Definitely not the best. On a long daily city commute with no charging the PHEV may save enough by being a hybrid to pay for the premium. A normal hybrid with a smaller battery would probably be a better fit but very few models have both (maybe just prius?) so you often don't get your perfect drivetrain in your perfect body style.
So you're essentially driving an 'over priced' paperweight in terms of the hybrid tech. For what?

That sucks. I won't be sad when companies using those prick tactics die and disappear. I completely forgot about the i4 and I don't know if I have ever seen one in the wild.
seen 2 this week! 😝

So you're essentially driving an 'over priced' paperweight in terms of the hybrid tech. For what?
To save a ton of gas. Hybrid in the city blows straight ice out of the water. The problem is to make the financials work, you need a pretty long commute to save enough gas to cover the upfront cost. Something like delivery driver or uber would pay off quickly even if you never got to plug it in.

To save a ton of gas. Hybrid in the city blows straight ice out of the water. The problem is to make the financials work, you need a pretty long commute to save enough gas to cover the upfront cost. Something like delivery driver or uber would pay off quickly even if you never got to plug it in.
If you never plugged it in, just get the ICE version. LOL

I imagine we're talking potentially a decade of driving to cover the cost difference. Imagine doing that and then your hybrid system (you never used)? fails. Good luck on the resale.

Our volt has been trouble free for the last 150000 kms, we use 2-3 tanks of gas a year. That said next car will probably be a full electric if only the Tesla wasn't so terrible inside we would have bought one.

Sent from the future

Back
Top Bottom