Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 465 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Rental cars don't get winter tires unless forced to by law (e.g. Quebec). It's pretty likely that this car had so-called all-seasons on it.

I got caught out by an early blast of snow a few years ago and couldn't get into my gently-sloped driveway with the summer tires still on the car. Useless. Given the location ... I got out the jack and swapped over to winter tires in the spot where the car was stuck, and then parked the car where it was supposed to be with no issue. LOL

I wouldn't fret about rear-drive only on modern EVs in the Toronto area if you don't spend the extra coin for AWD.

Bolt is front-drive, and acceleration off the line is traction limited. Oh well.
Interesting tid bit. Had an insurance claim from a neighbour backing into our vehicle parked on the street. Adjuster noticed we had a discount for winter tires and asked if our car had them on. Yes of course! Ok Mr. nakman, we will make sure your rental is also equipped with winter tires and ended up with a rental from enterprise with winters. It was an Mitz RVR awd with winter tires. Don’t know if this is something new but, was surprised a rental company in Ontario had vehicles equipped. This was in St Catharines. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: insurance company is Desjardins and claim was January or February of this year.

Interesting tid bit. Had an insurance claim from a neighbour backing into our vehicle parked on the street. Adjuster noticed we had a discount for winter tires and asked if our car had them on. Yes of course! Ok Mr. nakman, we will make sure your rental is also equipped with winter tires and ended up with a rental from enterprise with winters. It was an Mitz RVR awd with winter tires. Don’t know if this is something new but, was surprised a rental company in Ontario had vehicles equipped. This was in St Catharines. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: insurance company is Desjardins and claim was January or February of this year.
Good news that winter tires are available on rentals. Surprised the insurance company cared that much. Premium discount is 5%. Presumably rental car companies charge enough premium to make snows worthwhile.

Fwiw, a few years ago I needed to rent a vehicle in Calgary to drive into interior BC in the winter. Highway requires winter tires. Not a single rental car in Calgary had winter tires. I rolled the dice and didn't get a ticket/tow.

Good news that winter tires are available on rentals. Surprised the insurance company cared that much. Premium discount is 5%. Presumably rental car companies charge enough premium to make snows worthwhile.

Fwiw, a few years ago I needed to rent a vehicle in Calgary to drive into interior BC in the winter. Highway requires winter tires. Not a single rental car in Calgary had winter tires. I rolled the dice and didn't get a ticket/tow.
Honestly, I thought it was a check to see if we were getting a discount for something we didn’t have. When they responded they were just checking to make sure our rental had snows, I was genuinely surprised and impressed.

Rental cars don't get winter tires unless forced to by law (e.g. Quebec). It's pretty likely that this car had so-called all-seasons on it.
Almost certainly did, and also a second-worst case vehicle with a big, heavy lump of a motor up front making lots of torque at low RPM (worst is a pickup, no weight over the rear tires if unloaded).

I got caught out by an early blast of snow a few years ago and couldn't get into my gently-sloped driveway with the summer tires still on the car. Useless. Given the location ... I got out the jack and swapped over to winter tires in the spot where the car was stuck, and then parked the car where it was supposed to be with no issue. LOL
Had to do the same in BC with my Accord coming home late from a business dinner in the middle of an early-December blizzard. Naturally, I had procrastinated getting the winters on. Couldn't get up the very gentle hills on the route home, had to get the wife to dig out and deliver two winter tires for the front and change them roadside at 1 am in a suit as the snow dumped down. No fun, but it got me home. Definitely a tangible experience in the value of winter tires.

I wouldn't fret about rear-drive only on modern EVs in the Toronto area if you don't spend the extra coin for AWD.
I also wonder if having the weight distributed more evenly front to rear helps, instead of having the big lump of a motor square over the front like in a typical ICE vehicle. It's pretty standard for pickup drivers to fill the bed with patio stones or bags of cement for the same reason.

Bolt is front-drive, and acceleration off the line is traction limited. Oh well.
Reading reviews of the new Kona, one common theme is being happy with the reduced power, as the old one loved to spin coming off the line (FWD). Still, I wouldn't be buying an EV for the driving dynamics. It's more of an appliance to me, so I could genuinely care less about drive out of corners etc.

Law in BC is snowflake or M+S on highways outside of the lower mainland and southeast coast of the island from October through start of May. Nobody will check, but if you get into a crash, insurers may not pay out if you don't have them on. And a cop will probably issue another fine if pulled over for something else.

When I had a truck, I used to buy all-weather tires (not all-season!), as they had an M+S logo, so I could keep the nicer rims on year-round not have to swap to steels for 7 months a year for the occasional trip away. They worked okay, but aren't real winter tires, that's for sure. Probably ideal for the cool and wet shoulder seasons that make up more than half the year in the lower mainland, though.

Last edited:
If you claimed to have winters on.. received the discount.. and it was found during a claim that you didn't actually have winters on the car.. would that be enough to deny your claim?

If you claimed to have winters on.. received the discount.. and it was found during a claim that you didn't actually have winters on the car.. would that be enough to deny your claim?
@Jay Alexander

Just had a chance to drive a Mach-E (not sure which trim but it had X on it.

Wow…just wow. I’m thoroughly impressed with the execution.

Goes like stink, quiet, well done inside, and fairly roomy for my needs.

The hell with the Maverick…

Just had a chance to drive a Mach-E (not sure which trim but it had X on it.

Wow…just wow. I’m thoroughly impressed with the execution.

Goes like stink, quiet, well done inside, and fairly roomy for my needs.

The hell with the Maverick…
X badge means larger battery. 4 badge means awd. I assume gt also gets a badge. Not sure if select/premium gets any way to quickly tell.apart visually.

Surprised the insurance company cared that much. Premium discount is 5%. Presumably rental car companies charge enough premium to make snows worthwhile.

It's well worth the insurance companies dropping 5% on the customers with snows. They're posting videos on the net when it snows instead of phoning them to make multi $K claims when the muni's are too lazy, cheap, and/or backasswards to get their sanders/salters out on the roads.

Last edited:
It's well worth the insurance companies dropping 5% on the customers with snows. They're posting videos on the net when it snows (and the muni's are too lazy, cheap, and/or backasswards to get their sanders/salters out on the roads) instead of phoning them to make multi $K claims.

The discount makes sense. I was surprised that they cared about the rental car also being equipped with snows. At that point, they are paying and I expect rental companies to charges a premium for snow tires more than 5%.

On that front, afaik, most insurance policies are still covering rental vehicles up to $75k. If you have a truck or premium vehicle, the equivalent rental could easily blow past that limit.

Back
Top Bottom