Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 433 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Enjoy your brand new Ultium Blazers and Volts.

oh wait.... nvmnd.

(see post 2)

When did I say I was going to buy either a Blazer or a Volt?

Oh, boy. (Cybertruckkk related)

Seems that the real world electrical consumption (and therefore, range) is, uh, "not so good".

I can't say I'm surprised. Their claimed drag coefficient is a fiction with the blunt shapes, projecting wheels and fender flares, and big tires that probably also have a fair bit of rolling resistance.

I know GM is having software issues. BUT. The probability of GM sorting out their software is higher than cybertruckkk ever having a better drag coefficient. Hang in there for Silverado EV. It will do better than this.

Tesla engineer in Palo Alto. Likely one of the pre production units.

Tesla engineer in Palo Alto. Likely one of the pre production units.

In fairness, the police report indicate that it was the Corolla driver's fault.

The thing that nobody has made public, is what the left front corner of the cybertruckkk looks like. If it did its energy-absorbing job properly, it SHOULD be mangled.

If it did its energy-absorbing job properly, it SHOULD be mangled.

From the photos I've seen, it looks like the Toyota did most of the energy absorption, not the truck.

There's curiously few post-accident photos out there.

Wonder what the repair bill will be. But since the truck was owned by a Tesla employee, I'm sure we'll never know.

From the photos I've seen, it looks like the Toyota did most of the energy absorption, not the truck.

That's what it looks like to me, too. The Tesla is basically a battering ram, potentially unsafe to other road users (and no, it is far from being the only such vehicle on the roads, but that doesn't make it right). Now, a good many drivers DGAF about anyone else, but even so ... if you hit something that is absolutely not going to give way, like a chunk of rock or concrete, with a solid unyielding KUNK, then the occupants are their own crumple zones inside the vehicle.

From what it looks like the Camry came off the embankment and hit the truck on the driver's side.

GCn20DAW8AAteCc

Hard to say, but there was definately side involvement of some sort as part of it, for sure. But considering it appears *all* the airbags went off, its suggestive of at least some sort of frontal coponent as well.

The original crash tests of the CT itself showed a rather abrupt stop for the occupants vs much energy absorption. I guess you really WANT all those airbags to go off in this scenario.

Can't wait to start hearing what insurance companies are charging to insure these things. I can only imagine an accident like this will be a very significant bug dollar repair by the time all the airbags are replaced, the seatbelt tensioners are replaced, and all that stainless steel is replaced.

Normally an airbag-deployment is pretty much an automatic write-off. Tearing apart and re-assembling the interior gets expensive. The front passenger airbag, in particular, generally destroys the dash cover and everything in the area when it goes off, and that's normally really expensive to replace.

Impressive stats. MUCH better looking than the Model S. The CEO hasn't called anyone a pedofile on Twitter (yet). Have to wait to see a test.

Considering the quality of a lot of Chinese stuff, I'm not sure any of their vehicles are ready for North American prime time yet. There's a reason you don't see any of them here yet.

Considering the quality of a lot of Chinese stuff, I'm not sure any of their vehicles are ready for North American prime time yet. There's a reason you don't see any of them here yet.
I think it's just a matter of time. Same as Honda entered the market, then Hyundai / KIA, and now this is just a new player.

The Chinese EV manufacturers are going into the EU market strong and don't appear to be letting up.

Just a matter of time. The dealer network / support will make or break any new entrants into the NA market.

Well, after reading the reviews on the updated 2024 Polestar 2 (went RWD from FWD, new motor for more power, new battery for more range, heat pump) I leased a demo single motor long range with Plus package on Friday. 515 km EPA summer range with expected high 300's winter was always my happy starting point with the way the unreliable charging infrastructe is (non-Tesla).

I've never leased in my life but I didn't want to get stuck with yesterdays battery tech as it's advancing quickly and who knows where it'll be in 4 years (only way a lease can get the EV rebate is a 4 yr lease). Just as importantly, I can invest the low $60k's and earn more than the 4.9% lease rate so I think financially it'll make sense for me.

So my 2017 Volt Premiere with about 94k km is up for sale for $20k (incl winter set of OE rims and X-Ice tires). Will miss the car but that Polestar is 1 sweet drive (they appeared to sell to everyone that sat down with a salesman over the time I was there). Certainly more premium and wow what a ton of features I'm learning about watching YT videos.

I hope to pick up the car this week. Anyone interested in the Volt, PM me.

Video link for anyone curious on the P2:

At 33:10 is where he gets into the white single motor like I have.

IMG_20231229_131611.jpg

Back
Top Bottom