Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 356 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

EV wouldn't be my choice of weapon for that. I have a Lightning that is EPA rated for just over 500km. I do a lot of highway driving (around 60% of my driving) and range is typically closer to 400km. Speed wise I would be on the quicker side of the flow of traffic...say 120-130 these days. I'm outside of the optimal driving situations for the best range. I can get the 500km pretty easy if I'm sticking to 80km/h and under roads.

I do drive about 250km per day and obviously have zero issues. Amazing vehicle for a daily driver. 410km in the winter and I'm out though.
Oooh. Cool. First person I sort of know with a lightning. Looks like a great vehicle if you can get one. I dont know if I have seen one in the wild (maybe because they look normal and not like space ships).

I saw my first on hwy 655 north of Timmins.

Oooh. Cool. First person I sort of know with a lightning. Looks like a great vehicle if you can get one. I dont know if I have seen one in the wild (maybe because they look normal and not like space ships).
I reserved it the first day you could last year. It's tough not to love. The thing I'm most impressed with has very little with it being a EV. The ride quality with independent rear suspension is significantly better then traditonal pick-ups with a straight axle.

775 ft/lbs of Torque is a ton of fun. A pick up silently doing 0-60 at or under 4 seconds is a little absurd lol. Most common comment people make is it feels like a roller coaster. With no gear changes you literally seem to get pinned to the seat until you lift off the pedal, neat sensation. Frunk is really cool, great for shopping etc which can be a pain loading bags into the back seat of a ICE truck. I enjoy the Blue Cruise but you can get that in some other Ford vehicles.

They are out there. I'm sure having one I spot them a little easier but once you start to notice the front light bar that tend to stand out. The non-ev styling is a plus for me.

Would a hybrid be better suited to my situation?

For most purposes, hybrid is very similar to ice with better fuel economy. Plug in hybrids like the volt allow you to do most days on electric but have gas available for trips. Not too many of them available new now though. Most manufacturers sell hybrid that cannot plugin and/or full ev with no ice.

If I know I’m going far beyond the range I use EV in the city / traffic and then just switch to ICE when on the highway.

Going to the cottage it’s EV anywhere below 80kph limit and ICE anything above. Not gonna make it anyway so May as well maximize my range.

If you can swing it, Teslas are still the best for regular long distance. Just based on charging. I go up to Val Caron which is just north of Sudbury once a month. Used to do it straight in my F150 with zero gas stops and ~8hr round trip. Now with 3 stops (Parry sound, Sudbury, Parry sound) it only adds less than an hour round trip. about 10-20 mins each.

most hybrids are not great on the highway at 120, you will be mostly using the gas engine.

I reserved it the first day you could last year. It's tough not to love. The thing I'm most impressed with has very little with it being a EV. The ride quality with independent rear suspension is significantly better then traditonal pick-ups with a straight axle.

775 ft/lbs of Torque is a ton of fun. A pick up silently doing 0-60 at or under 4 seconds is a little absurd lol. Most common comment people make is it feels like a roller coaster. With no gear changes you literally seem to get pinned to the seat until you lift off the pedal, neat sensation. Frunk is really cool, great for shopping etc which can be a pain loading bags into the back seat of a ICE truck. I enjoy the Blue Cruise but you can get that in some other Ford vehicles.

They are out there. I'm sure having one I spot them a little easier but once you start to notice the front light bar that tend to stand out. The non-ev styling is a plus for me.
what's your efficiency so far and did you get the extended range?

For the road-trippers, Hyundai's "streamliner" Ioniq 6 will be out soon (early 2023). Same underneath as Ioniq 5 - and same price range - but with a slippery body, Cd = 0.21, considerably extending range at higher speeds.

VW is working on one, too, currently being called the ID Aero, but it's probably a year away.

As an option, how about the BMW E35, reportedly having up to 418 km of battery range, a single electric motor producing an estimated 281 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque; and rear-wheel-drive.
The battery has a net capacity of 66 kWh, with a total gross capacity of 70.2 kWh, and can charge at a maximum of 180 kW on DC current; and 11 kW on AC current. BMW says owners can expect to charge the battery from 10 per cent to 80 per cent in as little as 32 minutes via DC fast-charging.
Pricing will start at CDN$54,990, and BMW anticipates its new offering will qualify for the $5,000 purchase incentive as part of the federal iZEV Program.
(Content from driving.ca)

As an option, how about the BMW E35, reportedly having up to 418 km of battery range, a single electric motor producing an estimated 281 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque; and rear-wheel-drive.
The battery has a net capacity of 66 kWh, with a total gross capacity of 70.2 kWh, and can charge at a maximum of 180 kW on DC current; and 11 kW on AC current. BMW says owners can expect to charge the battery from 10 per cent to 80 per cent in as little as 32 minutes via DC fast-charging.
Pricing will start at CDN$54,990, and BMW anticipates its new offering will qualify for the $5,000 purchase incentive as part of the federal iZEV Program.
The pig nose is pretty awful but otherwise that seems better than I expected. Didn't MP's friend pay most of 50K for a sub 200km range mini?

P90423612_highRes_the-bmw-i4-edrive40-.jpg

The pig nose is pretty awful but otherwise that seems better than I expected. Didn't MP's friend pay most of 50K for a sub 200km range mini?

Agreed, that snout is definitely a turn off!

Don't know what is with these stylists, all swerving to designs that have large frontal intakes (I think it was Lexus that started the trend with their awful spindle grill)
Okay, I know that style is a personal preference, but I lament the disappearance of a sleek uncluttered body and the trend toward large empty spaces (often covered in plastic).
But I digress, this thread is about EVs and not about body styles.

The E35 on paper is a good bargain in terms of price and range.

As for the Mini, you'd have to be a serious fan of that brand's design to pay that cash for range that is less than the average.
It is a personal choice, not for me tho'.

Don’t ever stop, Onion.

55k! Range in the warm weather is 170km.

The range is low because they took an ICE Mini…and made it an EV Mini.

Same as the e-Golf and e-focus. You take an existing structure and design and slot a battery and ancillary equipment into it. Space limitations abound and you have to see what fits, instead of working around a drivetrain and batter and designing it properly.

For a converted petrol-engine vehicle, that's not bad. I still maintain that EVs need to be on a dedicated EV platform in order to make best use of space and battery performance. This works for people that are hung up on a BMW sedan having to look a certain way, no changes allowed.

55k! Range in the warm weather is 170km.

The range is low because they took an ICE Mini…and made it an EV Mini.

Same as the e-Golf and e-focus. You take an existing structure and design and slot a battery and ancillary equipment into it. Space limitations abound and you have to see what fits, instead of working around a drivetrain and batter and designing it properly.
Not sure where the 170 km range is spec'd for the BMW E35. 418 km range is what is claimed for the Bimmer E35 and that number is pretty much on par with EVs costing $55K.
(Unless I have mis-read that press release )

For a converted petrol-engine vehicle, that's not bad. I still maintain that EVs need to be on a dedicated EV platform in order to make best use of space and battery performance. This works for people that are hung up on a BMW sedan having to look a certain way, no changes allowed.
Agreed, from an engineering viewpoint a "design-to-spec", is any day better than a "made-to-fit".
For the end-user, may be a "as long as it works and does the job" is what matters.

Tho', I will say that I belong to category #1.

Not sure where the 170 km range is spec'd for the BMW E35. 418 km range is what is claimed for the Bimmer E35 and that number is pretty much on par with EVs costing $55K.
(Unless I have mis-read that press release )
170km is the mini which isn't substantially cheaper.

If you can swing it, Teslas are still the best for regular long distance. Just based on charging. I go up to Val Caron which is just north of Sudbury once a month. Used to do it straight in my F150 with zero gas stops and ~8hr round trip. Now with 3 stops (Parry sound, Sudbury, Parry sound) it only adds less than an hour round trip. about 10-20 mins each.

most hybrids are not great on the highway at 120, you will be mostly using the gas engine.

what's your efficiency so far and did you get the extended range?
Over 7000km I have averaged 29kwh/100km, it was at 28kw/h for the longest time but is creeping up with the cooler weather. For example this morning drive was just over 100km of back roads and it showed 33kwh/100km. Other then preconditioning it on the charger I don't really do anything to get the best efficiency. It is the extended range.

Back
Top Bottom