Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 355 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Which EVs have a 500+ km range?

Expensive ones. Why do you ask?

But a Bolt will do it if driven carefully in rural secondary roads...

I'm closing in on two months and 5000 km without needing anything other than charging at home. That's three days from now, but there's nothing on the calendar that will warrant it.

Expensive ones. Why do you ask?

But a Bolt will do it if driven carefully in rural secondary roads...

I'm closing in on two months and 5000 km without needing anything other than charging at home. That's three days from now, but there's nothing on the calendar that will warrant it.
Have you seen any notable reduction in range with the cooler weather?

Did you pre-order one and wait or did you get lucky Brian?

advertised or real world?
quite a few have close to that or more advertised but almost none will do it in real world, especially highway
I would need something that could do just over 410 km in winter. From the discussions above there's ~ a 25% loss in winter which sounds like I need 500 km real world in summer.

I would need something that could do just over 410 km in winter. From the discussions above there's ~ a 25% loss in winter which sounds like I need 500 km real world in summer.
That's going to be tough in the current generation without a stop to charge. If you aren't driving straight north from your house, hitting a fast charger shouldn't be a big issue and solves your range problem.

How often would you be doing that trip? People tend to want/buy too much range for their use. If you only do it a few times a year, it makes more sense to fast charge on your route than spending big money on range you basically never use.
I visit Kitchener and London once a week for work from Stouffville. Only the London trip requires a charging stop (>430kms).

Basically any EV that does 300-450km would be the same in both scenarios.
I only got the long range for the AWD and performance.

How long does a charge take? Lots available on the 401? I don't want to take ten hours from Ottawa to Toronto.

How often would you be doing that trip? People tend to want/buy too much range for their use. If you only do it a few times a year, it makes more sense to fast charge on your route than spending big money on range you basically never use.
I visit Kitchener and London once a week for work from Stouffville. Only the London trip requires a charging stop (>430kms).

Basically any EV that does 300-450km would be the same in both scenarios.
I only got the long range for the AWD and performance.
I was thinking about this recently. I go to the cottage solo a handful of times per quarter. For the times we go as a family we take the van.

Technically my needs are no more than 200km in the cold as that would suffice my commute daily….assuming I can’t charge at work (which I currently can).

For now my commute is 100% electric as I get to work with 25-35km left, charge, and come home with 40-50km left due to slower speeds on the highway.

170km range in the warm…

How long does a charge take? Lots available on the 401? I don't want to take ten hours from Ottawa to Toronto.

It depends on the vehicle (and on the capacity of the charging station) but you are typically looking at half-an-hour-ish to get from 20% to 80% charge at a DC fast-charger. Some less, some more, and if you want to get into the math, it is not a nice linear relationship. Lithium batteries inherently charge quickly when almost empty and slow down as they fill up ... so what you really want to do on a long trip, is start out fully charged, plan your arrival at a charging stop as close to empty as you dare, then hop-skip charging stations from that point on, charging up to (let's say) 60%-ish at each one, and then arriving at your eventual destination where you plan to do an overnight charge (which might be your destination, or a hotel, or home) almost empty.

If you need to go 410 km, and your vehicle needs charging after (let's say) 350 km, you only need to take on 60 km worth of charge at the fast-charger. In my Bolt, that would be about 10 kWh and that would take about 12 minutes at 50 kW. Coffee break.

On the Ottawa to Toronto run, there are Ivy charging stations at every OnRoute, and there are several PetroCanada Electric Highway charging stations, including Cobourg, Kingston, Brockville, and more.

As of right now, not very many vehicles can make use of most of the capacity of the 350kW fast-chargers that a lot of the PetroCanada stations have. Requires 800V architecture to get much beyond half that. The new-generation (E-GMP) Hyundai/Kia/Genesis vehicles are the most affordable vehicles that can do it. They claim 18 minutes from 10% to 80%. The Porsche Taycan and Audi e-tron GT (which are the same vehicle underneath) are the other vehicles that can do it, but I ain't got that budget. You can still charge at those stations ... but the charging rate will be limited by the vehicle.

Yeah they won't be selling many of those.
My buddy bought a brand new one. Nice interior, very twitchy from all that torque to the front wheels. But a very limited range for 50k. He waited about 3 months. 55k all In.

I was thinking about this recently. I go to the cottage solo a handful of times per quarter. For the times we go as a family we take the van.

Technically my needs are no more than 200km in the cold as that would suffice my commute daily….assuming I can’t charge at work (which I currently can).

For now my commute is 100% electric as I get to work with 25-35km left, charge, and come home with 40-50km left due to slower speeds on the highway.
We're single auto right now. In the past and present it needed to be able to seat five adults comfortably, in the future it won't, but will need to be able to do YOW - YYZ in a modest timeframe.

We're single auto right now. In the past and present it needed to be able to seat five adults comfortably, in the future it won't, but will need to be able to do YOW - YYZ in a modest timeframe.
For that drive, you will have a lot of charging options. May take 30 minutes longer than an ice drive on the same route but in exchange you never need to stop for fuel the rest of the year (assuming you can charge at home).

EV wouldn't be my choice of weapon for that. I have a Lightning that is EPA rated for just over 500km. I do a lot of highway driving (around 60% of my driving) and range is typically closer to 400km. Speed wise I would be on the quicker side of the flow of traffic...say 120-130 these days. I'm outside of the optimal driving situations for the best range. I can get the 500km pretty easy if I'm sticking to 80km/h and under roads.

I do drive about 250km per day and obviously have zero issues. Amazing vehicle for a daily driver. 410km in the winter and I'm out though.

Back
Top Bottom