Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 252 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Meanwhile on TAnon........
tesla-fanboy.jpg

Just when you think it was over.

Meh, minor inconvenience, it was probably meant to do that. 4 weeks in a Tesla repair facility 2 hours away only to have the first repair done incorrectly so you get to do it all over again and I'm sure it'll be as good as new. Which means it might happen again a few weeks later, but hey, let's not get technical...it's a feature, not a bug, afterall.

No good can come from political or religious discussions on public forums, or around the dinner table. Everyone is convinced their view is the best, and convincing them otherwise is impossible for the most part.

Yup.

There's an easy way for you to stop that.

Burn-Meme-2.png

Not exactly on topic but kudos to ford. Ev's in Texas now are a double edged sword. You might be able to tap them for power which is good but you sure as hell arent charging it anywhere so it is not very useful as a vehicle.

You might be able to tap them for power which is good but you sure as hell arent charging it anywhere so it is not very useful as a vehicle.

Common argument.

But gas pumps don't work without power either.

Common argument.

But gas pumps don't work without power either.
But most people do have some stored gas and assuming you started with a full tank typical ICE range smokes typical EV range (and you can find a kind soul to give you the gas from their lawnmower, there is no way in hell you can find someone to lend you their generator for a week to charge your car).

But most people do have some stored gas and assuming you started with a full tank typical ICE range smokes typical EV range

Not necessarily if we're talking something like a P100 Tesla.

As for being prepared with extra gas and such, I also doubt 99% of these people were prepared at all for this. Have you seen the photos? People are so helpless they didn't even turn their water off when pipes started to burst.

Not necessarily if we're talking something like a P100 Tesla.

As for being prepared with extra gas and such, I also doubt 99% of these people were prepared at all for this. Have you seen the photos? People are so helpless they didn't even turn their water off when pipes started to burst.
You don't need to be a prepper to have gas for your lawnmower/boat/atv sitting in the shed.

Porsce is going to start production of the Taycan Cross Turismo. I kinda like it. It has a gnar shooting brake look to it.
h8hzrucwuzpyttac8s9g.jpg

You don't need to be a prepper to have gas for your lawnmower/boat/atv sitting in the shed.

How far are you going to get on that couple of gallons of lawnmower gas in your shed in the typical Texas Econobox?

Not a lot of 'em have diesel lawnmowers, either.
QWGXaeL.jpg

1/ This above ^^^

2/ When I had a gas lawnmower I had a 5L can. Your average car isn't going to even get 100km on that. Assuming it was full. Again, these are the same people who are so helpless they can't figure out how to turn off their water and have seemingly no ability to survive in temperatures that are akin to a nice winters day here. The savvy amongst the crowds, sure, they'll know where to find gas and such with some creativity. But there are a lot of *stupid* people out there who think this is the end times.

Not exactly on topic but kudos to ford. Ev's in Texas now are a double edged sword. You might be able to tap them for power which is good but you sure as hell arent charging it anywhere so it is not very useful as a vehicle.

They are speaking about the gas powered hybrid f150 which when equipped with the 7.2kw genny can power a house.

True about the gas. But with a full tank of a full size truck (compared to a portable genny gas tank) I'm sure it can idle for a long time. If you get gas somehow. Can always top it up.

And yes. 7200w is plenty for a house. I power my house essentials (furnace, fridge, TV,
lights) with a mere 5000w easily.

Last edited:
Crossposting this over from my Tiny Camper thread. I'm back sitting on the fence about spending the money on the beefy hitch for my Volt.

Here's the nuts and bolts of the big million dollar question

I was doing some GoogleFu on "vehicles with surprising tow ratings" and low and behold, look what I found....

Look at the 4th car.

When you compare the numbers side by side..going back to the big question of "Will my Gen1 pull my 1500# camper"....

Gen 1 engine capabilities.
Output (kW / hp @ rpm):63 / 84 @ 4800 (est.)

Gen 2 engine capabilities
Output (kW / hp @ rpm):75 / 101 @ 5600

So the Gen2's engine makes an additional 12 horsepower.

Gen 1 electric capabilities.

Motors (two);drive motor, 111 kW; generator motor, 55 kW

Gen 2 electric capabilities

Motors (two);twin-motor arrangement, 110 kW

This bit is a little unclear. The 55kw generator capacity on the Gen1 is the big issue here (read more below) but it's unclear to me how many kw the Gen2 can actually generate - it can't be 110kw knowing what I know. I'll dig some more.

Gen 1 electric horsepower

Power (kW / hp):111 / 149

Gen 2 electric horsepower

Power (kW / hp):111 / 149

Gen 1 Torque

Torque: (lb-ft / Nm):368 / 273

Gen 2 Torque

Torque: (lb-ft / Nm):294 / 398

When you put all the numbers together, what stands out is the Gen2 with about 20% more horsepower and likely *some* increased generator capacity as a result. But how much is unclear.

And this is where it gets technical.

My concern with the Gen1 isn't the raw ability for the car to haul the trailer. I know it'll do that just fine....it's for the engine to keep up with the power demands - the Gen1 can only make 55kw of power with the engine wound right out wide open but the car can use north of 100kw at full load.

With the car in Mountain mode there will be a "buffer" of extra battery capacity held onto for hard demands ...so if the car is drawing 100kw and the engine only provides 55kw, the battery buffer provides the rest and the engine tries to rebuild that buffer afterwards.

Therein lies the problem. I know the car will pull the trailer (and probably quite well at that, electric power wins all the time), but if the car is consuming (for example) 60kw at cruise and the engine can only generate 55kw, well, the battery is slowly getting drawn down. When the battery reaches 16% on the Volt it loses it's **** and goes into a reduced propulsion mode so that the engine can bring the battery back up to a safe baseline 22% again.

The big million dollar question is....how many kw will the car consume towing the trailer at 90kph which is what I'd be happy towing at on secondary roads etc.

Looking at these numbers I'm starting to think more and more that maybe I just need to spend the money on the damn hitch and YOLO it.

If it works, it's a win. If it doesn't, well, I take the hitch off and try to recover 50% of the cost at least and then go with one of the plan B options.

Back
Top Bottom