Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 250 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Still ugly. Pass.

Not my cup of tea either.

Pre-production claims don’t hold a lot of value for me.

Will the body panels stay on?

Can I get it fixed in a timely fashion?

I’ll take the Porsche or Audi thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Bingo.
The only street cred the Tesla holds is taking far too long for the most basic repairs.

Not my cup of tea either.

Pre-production claims don’t hold a lot of value for me.

Will the body panels stay on?

Can I get it fixed in a timely fashion?

I’ll take the Porsche or Audi thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Don't you know? The body panels are actively aerodynamic. Once you reach a certain speed they start falling off to reduce weight and make the car faster. They're still working on the process of getting them back on automatically.

EDIT: is this real? Any Tesla owners?

Last edited:
Certainly the right (wrong?) circumstances can lead to snow sliding into the trunk on many other vehicles ... but the properly-designed ones have a "ditch" between the bottom of the rear window and that seal, to encourage water (and snow) to drop into that channel, at which point it is encouraged to go out either side and drain out. Tesla put the top trunk seal way too close to the bottom of the window, presumably in the interest of having a trunk opening bigger than a mail-slot.

Recall when the Model 3 came onto the market, Elon Musk was bragging about how they didn't need to spend time doing real-world validation testing, because they could simulate everything. Well, evidently, they forgot to simulate this.

“Now all my stuff in my trunk only gets 40% as soaked as before. Thanks Tesla, I love it!”

Signed: Tesla Fanboi. (Clearly…)

A friend services electric snow melting systems and got a call that a system wasn't working. He gets to the house and finds the snow melting sub panel main breaker tripped. It was already highly loaded with the driveway heaters. Then he notices two new Teslas and two fast charge power outlets being fed off of it. That'll do it.

Doesn't ESA inspect these instals?

ESA doesn't inspect every residential installation - not even every commercial or industrial installation. If the installation contractor is registered with ECRA, they're supposed to self-certify that their installations are up to code. If the homeowner did the installation themselves, though ... ! ! !

An EV charger, or any NEMA 14-30 outlet (dryer) or NEMA 14-50 outlet (stove, or other large appliance), is supposed to be on its own dual (240V) circuit breaker. Period. And I'm pretty sure the snow melter is going to be pulling enough current that it should be on its own circuit, too. I betcha the homeowner installed the EV chargers themselves and just opened the cover of their existing electrical box and tapped into it ...

My eventual charger installation is going to be limited to 30 amps (really 24 amps, about 5 kW) because, when I drywalled that part of the basement 18 years ago, I ran a cable from the vicinity of the distribution panel to the vicinity of a planned outlet from which I can get to the garage and shop, even though it has never been connected to anything at either end - "future expansion". It's a 10 gauge cable ... means 30 amp breaker ... 24 amp max load. 5 kW is enough to charge an EV with a 60-ish-kWh battery overnight, so that's ok.

means 30 amp breaker ... 24 amp max load. 5 kW is enough to charge an EV with a 60-ish-kWh battery overnight, so that's ok.

You may have trouble finding a charger with that limitation though. A standard L2 requires a 40A circuit for a 32A charge rate.

Some vehicles have the ability to step down the charge rate, but typically only on L1. I *think* our Ioniq has the option to step down L2 rates as well (I'd have to look at the setup menus again and see if I was just dreaming or not) but I don't think it's a common option on many cars.

You may end up having to use a L1.5 like we have, 16A draw on a 20A circuit in my case, within code. Still charges my wife's Ioniq (28kwh battery) in 8 hours, but if you're getting something like a Bolt, you're looking at 16ish hours from empty. Depending on when you get home and leave that could be tight, and you'll be charging at least a few hours during on-peak of mid-peak rates.

Back
Top Bottom