Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 199 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

If this is an A-pillar-stamping issue then it potentially affects every Model 3, although an unknown portion might luck out with tolerances to have a fraction of clearance there. It's pretty apparent that they all have thin paint. It's pretty apparent that paint adhesion is a problem. I would expect resistance from Tesla to repaint thousands of whole cars.

Also, lease costs depend on residual values at the end. A car with high repair costs, high insurance costs, and with a reputation for being expensive to keep going won't be worth much after warranty. If they artificially inflate residual values then the manufacturer will eat the difference in the end. Then the finance people will have to adjust lease numbers to reflect it.

My opinion is still that Tesla should have subcontracted detail design and manufacturing the entire bodyshell and interior to Magna.

It's pretty apparent that they all have thin paint. It's pretty apparent that paint adhesion is a problem. I would expect resistance from Tesla to repaint thousands of whole cars.

could this be why one of my customers just spent $1700 for ceramic coating on his new Dual Motor Tesla 3?

man, pricing has gone up a long way since the $99 rust proof days.

No thanks to extra ceramic silliness, I'd stick to a lease and warranty, and hand the figurative keys back when I'm done with it.

There will be catch to that. Lifetime warranty to "perforation" most likely. Most warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Yeah, every rust warranty I have seen required perforation to qualify. Barring some mazdas and old hyundais, when was the last time you saw a vehicle perforated when only a few years old?

Shouldn't need to do "ceramic coating" in this day and age (perhaps aside from front of hood to protect it from stone chips - and "ceramic coating" won't protect it from that! - ClearBra is the way to go for that).

LOL

The last one could have been a really serious collision.

Message to Tesla: Collision prevention needs to be bulletproof before you let the car make any decisions for itself.

(IMO the other thing Tesla should have done from the outset was focus on making electric cars ... not self-driving cars. If they'd spent the money they've spent on Autopilot on quality control instead ...)

They
And Mercedes-Benz Sprinters. Worst corrosion protection of any modern vehicle ...

They remedied this starting with 2014 model year. I did the research before springing for one back in 14. Still in the fleet today. Worse vehicle ever overall with numerous problems and faults. Won't be buying again.

Seriously? The world has gotten so damn lazy that we can't walk out to get our car? It needs to come pick us up on it's own?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Seriously? The world has gotten so damn lazy that we can't walk out to get our car? It needs to come pick us up on it's own?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Oh no, not another Luddite!

Audi demonstrated their autonomous self parking/summon feature in 2013. It can find a spot for itself in a parking garage, then find it's way back out to you. Can you get it on a 2020 Audi? NO. While it does work, it's not ready for prime time and none of the higher ups are foolish enough to rush it to market then have to deal with "outside the envelope" accident lawsuits.

Spaceman, on the other hand............"Well, you weren't standing in the right spot."

Audi demonstrated their autonomous self parking/summon feature in 2013. It can find a spot for itself in a parking garage, then find it's way back out to you. Can you get it on a 2020 Audi? NO. While it does work, it's not ready for prime time and none of the higher ups are foolish enough to rush it to market then have to deal with "outside the envelope" accident lawsuits.

perhaps, but not without a little help....... "but the version we previewed was the iteration that only functioned within a laser- and Wi-Fi–equipped garage."

We Watch an Audi A7 Drive Away and Park in a Garage All By Itself—With No Driver [2013 CES]

Last edited:
Yeah, every rust warranty I have seen required perforation to qualify. Barring some mazdas and old hyundais, when was the last time you saw a vehicle perforated when only a few years old?
I'm going to test that this week with VW. My daughter has a 2012 Jetta, it has 100K on the clock, and has never been in an accident. Last week I was checking a squeaky brake and noticed a fist sized soft spot on the rocker support channel -- the metal is completely gone in a 6"x3" section on the passenger side inder the front pillar. You wouldn't notice this but I saw a small rust stain in the seam between the rocker and the front fender so I took a deeper look.

VW has a 12 year perf warranty -- lets see how they handle this.

Someone I know who had a 2007 Passat had no issues getting even new door skins and hoods. You should be fine.

Someone I know who had a 2007 Passat had no issues getting even new door skins and hoods. You should be fine.
My concern is this is not body panel stuff, the frame channels are structural and not something that peels on an off easy. I want to see the car up on the hoist to make sure it's localized.

It stopped and honked. Then it changed it's mind and moved again, moving closer, stopping, and honking again. That's not good, that's scary. What if somebody made a run for their car in the lot and ran in front of it right when it decided it wanted to get a little closer?

Dozens of back to back 0-200 launches with negligible power drop off. 0-80% charge in 40 min. 515 km range. And the body panels line up. And it's painted properly. And the interior doesn't look like a Ford Transit.

Back
Top Bottom