Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 364 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Elon says, any publicity is good publicity.

He should be careful what he asks for.

AL9nZEUkObavFzopz0MUSKdwd5Gq6W81gZ9VX08CKWQ6UDmbnt03AZsKwo7e2fdhFgTeiuPdp_t9DTIFSlOtobS0--rDszxtK-fxkgNuWrFtV_5yii7NlEG12IqtYzPsnwKpGMBmCAzrzdyZjU1vGlwUGiL4R0Yvc77LudMR9OhmjCnXeqygDe1hP8Bm4ppfaMKJwLR1Npfovx9Sc47RtiImYfvJksu5PIFS9Lanu4d1w2kAtki0oL3Kbr5_U5DMFzqyrJvd7g6Y5FXRJOF0GIGTswpT1ARwqR0wvLvJN9Zj9t_dCrW-aYWTHWx6VXrn8aw07-d0yff-SMsHorL1qooszS8HwXmPDgiYXiMw8Xmli3w_kqL7syRShVGO28huFansZV_iKZzZVOwG8yqAOETQ16_99TzTZyP90EJYVV2ElsRaDhOXucFEZJAe9X2TMQuyl2o8J2Sfgsuu0E8Q36YFmwLdmhEICa-_1hm_XcZUlAgGN6NVG4-khrv0Ysepcxch6YJZSvtOiJsflvpm--H7wF2OV6Lntjp8OP8JXa7PQR_HrKz21ks2J0EkT0K1bAQ5FEgzsSOwikSLYUeNcOf4a5VrzGNyRKR36Las8oDfqNm4SQY1VfUnZ2rZ6F-yfXkbfLvh7tSEcpH18fgU_8b37uls1SObaxtMyKcXSM4D-5-dOr4ljkg1t0gMNdUXsV--Eew1ISROmAbX5k2zUMwXRdbvDc4-SA3lup86mKC_V0bbwQypsCmpX6OHedgxdqzfmHppgqJscx4S4XUeMNo13yD5YRphNQaB2ZvoMwsbRNDa5z-jQUGFtGicnhbIMiZSDiWDhxWRqWM65peKx1Lcx_Chjxj_vhkyWqNmpoPq58s8cqMfQ5FBLBcQVZliembtNXl0GaZOk8bv6gwPGv4F8g=w1243-h675-no

I almost regret getting rid of my Twitter account. Just as the entertainment starts!

so what do you all say? Total and complete shutdown by the end of the year?

I almost regret getting rid of my Twitter account. Just as the entertainment starts!

so what do you all say? Total and complete shutdown by the end of the year?
It may never shutdown. Musk loves it as his personal megaphone. How much would a skeleton staff cost to keep it working with only a handful of users? $44B megaphone for an ego maniac. His money, his toy, have fun.

wandering back to topic. Checking in at 3 months. 9200 km. Still have not used a DC fast-charger.

I do use the public Level 2 charger at Petrocan/Timmies/A&W near Dorchester. The range to my customer in St Thomas and back in cold weather is right on the edge. That charger is at a convenient spot for having a coffee on the way there and a sandwich on the way back, and having the car plugged in during that time adds just enough range to comfortably get home without being in "low charge alarm". (And, at least for now, it's free.)

Interesting range results from Denmark. Toyota achieved less than half the advertised range. Most other manufacturers are around 70%. Toyota's response was even when they show zero they may have a lot left in the tank. That is a crap response imo.

Hmm. Steady 110 km/h with winter tires (this can be a significant factor). "and with a preheated cabin" ... but with what climate control settings? Just pressing "Auto" can be a range-killer. The Bolt doesn't have an "eco" mode, but it lets you manually override various functions independently. I have settled upon automatic management of heated-seats and heated-steering-wheel (very nice feature, and the automatic management of these is on by default), "auto" set at 21 C but with fan speed overridden to minimum, unless window-fogging warrants one notch higher fan speed (which sometimes happens).

My St-Thomas run is 347 km round trip, of which it is motorway from exit 312 to exit 199 (so 226 km for the round trip). Last time, it used about 62 kWh (so a little less than one full charge). Winter tires on (big factor), temp just a little above freezing.

Their instrument-panel shot from the BZ4X shows 4.3 km/kWh (i.e. 23.3 kWh/100 km ... the Bolt displays consumption per 100 km as it should be). Mine has never used that much over a charging period!

One other small thing. The Bolt's state-of-charge meter is dead-nuts accurate with the stated 64 kWh nominal (useable) capacity. On the energy-usage monitoring screen, it shows 50% state of charge after 32.0 kWh has been used since last full charge. The meter goes orange at 15% state of charge after it has used 54.4 kWh since last full charge. It starts yelling at you "Charge vehicle soon!" at 10% SOC when it has used 57.6 kWh. I have not pushed my luck much further than this!

Never heard of that happening before. Something is definitely farked up.

interested to see real world testing of these.

hats off to Tesla, while legacy truck makers sit on their hands and watch diesel prices skyrocket...

I like how Musk refused to do any follow up questions after the announcement (as per the article).

300-500miles empty? full? what's the actual distance that can be covered under a full load in the winter is the real question.

There was a post on reddit recently where the Bolt had a really low range in -20C in AB....that's way lower than I anticipated. I think 177km or so.

@Brian P how is your range nowadays with these cold snaps that we've had? I'm super curious how your real world range is affected.

177 km range left on the GOM but state of charge is only 60%! Means it would be 300-ish on a full charge. At -15 C I'd be happy with that.

It's also plausible. Lately our temps have been around freezing, and my predicted range has been 360ish with a full charge. That's down from 450ish in the tail end of summer. The switch to winter tires was responsible for a chunk of that.

interested to see real world testing of these.

hats off to Tesla, while legacy truck makers sit on their hands and watch diesel prices skyrocket...

I have seen nothing anywhere that stated the circumstances of that 500 mile drive. Steady 30 mph on flat ground? Downhill with following wind?

Back of notepad calcs with realistic but mildly generous estimates of drag coefficient and rolling resistance indicate that doing 500 miles at steady 60 mph level ground would need a ballpark 1 MWh battery. (10 Model S packs). That battery would weigh 12,000 lbs. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility but that is one awfully big battery.

We traded in 2 vehicles for a Kia Telluride in March 2020. Cost savings re eliminating that 2nd vehicle is significant. Both retired so we can make 1 vehicle work at this time.

Due to the length of our trips and the need to pull a 2,600 lb trailer (loaded) I can't see an EV in my garage at this time, maybe a hybrid. I plan to keep the KIA another 4 - 5 years, so we'll see how things evolve in terms of range, winter range, towing capability and charger availability.

If I had a 2nd vehicle I'd be looking at an EV for most of our intown shopping, family visits etc........ as range and charging would not be an issue.

I have seen nothing anywhere that stated the circumstances of that 500 mile drive. Steady 30 mph on flat ground? Downhill with following wind?

Back of notepad calcs with realistic but mildly generous estimates of drag coefficient and rolling resistance indicate that doing 500 miles at steady 60 mph level ground would need a ballpark 1 MWh battery. (10 Model S packs). That battery would weigh 12,000 lbs. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility but that is one awfully big battery.
Engineering explained has a great video (linked below) on this. He does all the calculations to verify if claims are possible and most of them surprisingly are. Does anyone know what the range on an average ICE hauler would be?

Back
Top Bottom