Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 360 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

FYI that I had a CEL late last year too on my 2017 Volt that seemed to appear and then disappear 2 or 3 times ... I seem to recall now it was when it was really cold out and I haven't had it since then. I never did get it read.

FYI that I had a CEL late last year too on my 2017 Volt that seemed to appear and then disappear 2 or 3 times ... I seem to recall now it was when it was really cold out and I haven't had it since then. I never did get it read.
On my Subaru, I get a P0420 every winter, goes away on its own, and then reappears next winter like clockwork. I suspect it's an exhaust leak caused by contracting of some connection when winter hits. It hadn't bothered me enough to take a closer look, but this year it seems to be persisting.

On my Subaru, I get a P0420 every winter, goes away on its own, and then reappears next winter like clockwork. I suspect it's an exhaust leak caused by contracting of some connection when winter hits. It hadn't bothered me enough to take a closer look, but this year it seems to be persisting.
Could also be an electrical connection with some damp in it.

Could also be an electrical connection with some damp in it.
I never figured out my turn signal issue.

Over 25C the left turn signal wouldn't work. Cooler than that it worked. Replaced the bulb, cleaned the contact and the problem persisted.

Then one day I hit a bump, and the issue resolved itself.

Go figure.

They're calling this the Gen3 Volt that never happened over on the Volt forums ... except it looks like the EV-only range will still be less than what Gen2 had. Too bad as this may have been an upgrade for me if I didn't want to go full EV yet.

They're calling this the Gen3 Volt that never happened over on the Volt forums ... except it looks like the EV-only range will still be less than what Gen2 had. Too bad as this may have been an upgrade for me if I didn't want to go full EV yet.
it'll still be high demand because Toyota hybrid but to me thats a big miss. whole point of a PHEV is the plug in part. anything with less than 60km real world EV range makes little sense to me over a conventional hybrid.

it'll still be high demand because Toyota hybrid but to me thats a big miss. whole point of a PHEV is the plug in part. anything with less than 60km real world EV range makes little sense to me over a conventional hybrid.

the report I read says 38 miles (61kms range) and it has 194 and 220hp to boot.

It also has built in solar panels to help alleviate battery draw and juice up the battery so likely further extended range.

Add in near Lexus refinement and quality and i'd say This thing is a stroke of brilliance.

Volts will be left eating its electron dust.....

Last edited:
the report I read says 38 miles (61kms range) and it has 194 and 220hp to boot.

It also has built in solar panels to help alleviate battery draw and juice up the battery.

This thing is brilliant.

A light years improvement and Volts will be left eating its electron dust.....
Solar panels on a car do not charge the battery. They are a marketing wank. The previous generation Prius that ran a ventilation fan with them to cool the interior was about as good as it gets for on car solar. Given the space available, charging the car would take more than a month of full sun parked in Arizona. Given the reality of buildings/trees/objects/car orientation wasting some of the possible energy, expect less than 2 km per day from the panels (and that's on the high end). Expensive, takes far more energy to produce than they will ever generate and completely useless. A huge marketing circle jerk.

The rest of the package looks like a huge step forward. I could see them selling a lot of these.

Solar panels on a car do not charge the battery. They are a marketing wank. The previous generation Prius that ran a ventilation fan with them to cool the interior was about as good as it gets for on car solar. Given the space available, charging the car would take more than a month of full sun parked in Arizona. Given the reality of buildings/trees/objects/car orientation wasting some of the possible energy, expect less than 2 km per day from the panels (and that's on the high end). Expensive, takes far more energy to produce than they will ever generate and completely useless. A huge marketing circle jerk.

The rest of the package looks like a huge step forward. I could see them selling a lot of these.

perhaps,

I'd still investigate real world testing and evaluation if I was considering this option. Who's to say they didn't make advancements in solar technology in this area as well

I still don't get why no one (AFAIK) has been able to get a plug-in hybrid to more EV-only range than what GM did on its Gen2 Volt ... makes you wonder if there are patents at play that need to expire before the competition can finally surpass it???

Best commercially-available photoelectric cells are around 20% efficient (which is a huge improvement over years past). Incoming solar is about 1000 W/m2 if you are oriented straight at it ... call it 700 W/m2 if it's horizontal and incoming at a 45-degree angle, given that it's impractical to orient panels on a (3-dimensinally-shaped) car roof. Available area on the roof is something over 1 square metre for a sedan, more on a van or wagon. call it 200 watts. Over 6 - 8 hours of decent sunlight, it'll do one or two kWh or so. Better than nothing but not a revolution.

Something like an Aptera, with extreme aerodynamics and light weight (and not having to conform to "car" safety standards on account of having 3 wheels), and with every available square centimetre covered in solar panels, might have a fighting chance of having a good chunk of charging done by solar.

perhaps,

I'd still investigate real world testing and evaluation if I was considering this option. Who's to say they didn't make advancements in solar technology in this area as well

It's not possible. Advancements are incremental. Even if they advanced to 100% efficiency (which is impossible), there isnt enough area and you will always be fight positioning and obstructions. Vehicle mounted solar panels charging the battery are in the realm of perpetual motion machines. You cant beat the math no matter how smart or how much money you throw at the issue.

It's not possible. Advancements are incremental. Even if they advanced to 100% efficiency (which is impossible), there isnt enough area and you will always be fight positioning and obstructions. Vehicle mounted solar panels charging the battery are in the realm of perpetual motion machines. You cant beat the math no matter how smart or how much money you throw at the issue.
Might as well put a windmill on the roof to charge the car as your drive...

the realm of perpetual motion machines.
Not entirely so - if the panels produce say 3KW and the car draws 2 when driving then there is no break of fundamental laws. Depends on efficiency and aerodynamics but unlikely to be realized anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom