Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 348 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

To be fair we’ve owned 4 electric vehicles as well in, what, 5-7 years now? How old is this thread?

That aside, the comments to that tweet are the usual song and dance of wilfully ignorant people who only believe the **** they read online that confirmed their opinions.

We buy a car every ten years and run it into the ground (Except when our Acura was stolen).
Why buy one every two years? That seems way to expensive, and wasteful.

Why buy one every two years?

People who lease and then routinely move into new vehicles.

And MP's with big fat paycheques.

But in all honestly, they were probably leases. I have a friend who has a brand new Cadillac SUV in his driveway every 2 years as well. Lease.

Well, my new EV is most certainly not leased, and I'm doing what I can to make sure it lasts as long as possible ... I applied a do-it-yourself ceramic coating to the paint about 10 days ago and I'd have to say that so far, it looks really good.

Tomorrow I have to visit a customer that was one of the selection-criteria cases - from here to St Thomas and back in the same day. The route that I take adds up to about 250 km motorway and 110 km secondary roads. At this point I am quite confident that it will do the whole trip without needing a DC fast-charge (although there are a few options along the route in case a top-up is needed) - confident enough that the question becomes what the state-of-charge will be upon returning home.

I have it set to charge up to 100% tonight (usually I set that to 90% in the interest of battery life). I think it will be around 20% when I return home tomorrow.

People who lease and then routinely move into new vehicles.

and watch their money evaporate on monthly payments...

Im with Baggsy, buy em, and keep em as long as possible.

I just sold my 8 year old Honda for $19k, I paid $21.5 plus tax for it back in 2014 brand new.

between that, and my 10 year old paid for Acura which still runs as good as the day I bought it.

I shudder to imagine how much cash I would have burned if I had leased and cash down payments on both all those years....

Last edited:
I wouldn’t lease if my life depended on it.

But some people have money to burn. Myself I’d rather see my payments go towards something I own at the end vs just hand back, minus a bunch of cash.

We buy a car every ten years and run it into the ground (Except when our Acura was stolen).
Why buy one every two years? That seems way to expensive, and wasteful.
To be fair, it's possible he was buying two every five years. Still a stupid expensive waste especially with ev's. I suspect ev's will have a longer economically viable life than ice vehicles (baring failure of an expensive component like a computer or in Tesla's case the main display module that is engineered to fail and cost many thousands to replace).

Used 40% to get to St Thomas. On the way back I stopped at a PetroCanada EV fast charger and pulled up to the Level 2 plug, determined that Level 2 charging is free, might as well charge while I have lunch. Bonus.
Only 40% used? I guess in theory you could've made it home with the 20% you anticipated left in the tank. That's actually pretty good.

Where's the start point?

Just got back. Drove 347 km, used 50.2 kWh. I didn't need to do that Level 2 charge over lunch, but it was free, so why not.
That would meet my purposes for a 100% EV (if the 350km can be done in the winter).

Cottage is 260km return, and if I could get to Algonquin Park (as friend is now installing a 100A panel up there...the Bolt would work easily.

Winter has mixed effects. My experience with our Ioniq was that it got about 80-90% of summer range IF you were on a long trip where cabin heating was only a heavy load at the beginning (and then settled back to just maintaining it), and that could be almost entirely negated by pre-conditioning on grid power before leaving. On a long trip the drivetrain only needs to heat up once as well. It really wasn't the "you're gonna lose half your range" thing you see online often.

Snowtires of course also have an effect.

The Ioniq was also equipped with a heat pump which was dramatically more efficient than a grid heater, although it also has that for rapid initial heating.

But reasonable use of HVAC and using your seat heater instead of keeping the cabin at 27 degrees or whatever certainly pays off.

But multiple short around town trips with repeated heavy heating cycles could absolutely hurt range significantly, but in that scenario it really didn't matter much.

curious how long you charged for and what %/kms you got from it? your trip is my use case (london to etobicoke every few odd weeks). ill be following you as you (hopefully) give us updates, especially during the winter.

The Level 2 charge was just a splash for 20 minutes while I ate lunch "because I could". I forgot to take note of what the GOM (guess-o-meter) said before plugging in there ... The car is now fully charged, having been plugged in at home overnight.

Anyhow, I added to yesterday's total by going out to dinner. 417 km on (IIRC) 60.something kWh, which is within the car's nominal battery capacity. And I did an experiment on the way back by pressing the climate control "auto" button. Bad idea. Best setup is fan on minimum, mode selection on heat, temp set at bottom of comfort range (18 - 20 for me). Wasn't cold enough to warrant seat heat or steering wheel heat.

If you crank the temp to 26 degrees and put the fan to max, you are going to get the range hit that you deserve!

Had a chance to drive the Model Y today and the Mini EV as some buddies showed up. They got to test my Volt while I drove theirs.

Model Y - stupid ridiculously fast
Mini EV - super fun and solid ride as if on rails…too bad such short range (180km on full)

My neighbour owns a brand new 2022 Bolt, bought this summer. The battery range seems to be keeping pace with the drop in the daytime temperature, 489 km in the summer and 410 km during the last couple of days. He does not use the heater.

My neighbour owns a brand new 2022 Bolt, bought this summer. The battery range seems to be keeping pace with the drop in the daytime temperature, 489 km in the summer and 410 km during the last couple of days. He does not use the heater.
Surprised it dropped that much. I would be more inclined to think the cause was related to getting used to the torque and using more right foot. Does bolt give you a breakdown of where power went?

Back
Top Bottom