Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 313 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

What’s involved to support a 150kW or 250kW charging for this 100mi in 10min (which is awesome btw). Can normal houses support this with a panel upgrade?

This is never going to be an "At home" type thing. Chargers that fast are DC and have very high initial costs to purchase and install. They're the types you see at Petro Canada, for those who have seen their charging stations.

Nobody really needs that sort of charging at home anyways - a traditional 32A unit will still charge most of these EV's overnight in the end. The big superfast DC chargers are for road trips.

What’s involved to support a 150kW or 250kW charging for this 100mi in 10min (which is awesome btw). Can normal houses support this with a panel upgrade?
No. You need higher voltage. At 240V, that is 625 to 1050 amps. Even crazy residential supplies are normally 400 amps or less at 240V. Presumably at home you have time and a slower rate is fine (and a hell of a lot easier on the battery).

My simple 240V L2 only charges at around 20A maximum. But I know the VOLTEC units are sensitive so I swapped the 30A internal fuse with a 20A. Haven’t had an issue in years of use.

100 miles in 10 minutes charging? 250kw? That's a game changer,

Nothing new here. The Porsche already introduced 800v charging in the Taycan with that type of charging speed.

Kia is introducing it too

The Chevy is still over a year away from release.

This type of charging is sure to be the new normal.

I hope in the future there's something that can do ~300 km in the winter for ~$40k

But I see EVs make a lot of sense if work is nearby

I fully expect before 2030 new EVs will not permit home charging. The public argument will be it is too slow for the typical home service and they require a higher voltage. The longer range will require larger batteries which take more to charge, back to point one.

The other reasons.... the public pay EV charging station ROI model does not work at scale if everyone is mostly charging at home. A significant portion of the population can't and will never be able to charge at home due to logistics. Government does not get their road etc. taxes when home charging.....

I fully expect before 2030 new EVs will not permit home charging. The public argument will be it is too slow for the typical home service and they require a higher voltage. The longer range will require larger batteries which take more to charge, back to point one.

The other reasons.... the public pay EV charging station ROI model does not work at scale if everyone is mostly charging at home. A significant portion of the population can't and will never be able to charge at home due to logistics. Government does not get their road etc. taxes when home charging.....
I disagree. Home charging is the only way EVs work. You won't be able to hyper-charge at home, but level 2 chargers at home won't go away, even if they're only for topping up range/fully charging over a day or two. Once EVs become the only option for a new car, I'm sure the guv will figure out a way to charge us for at-home charging.

No one will buy into a 30min fast charge at a 'gas' station twice a week.

EV road tax will change to pay at sticker time (or when you sell) imo. You report mileage and they will add $0.0x per km to your bill.

For the vast majority of the population, the vast majority of the time, if they have access to 240v charging, that is sufficient. It doesn't matter how big the battery is, it matters how far you drive every day. I could have a battery good for 2000 km but if I only drove 100 km, I only need to add charge to replace the 100 km. A level 2 charger is good for ~30 km of range per hour of charging. Most cars are parked at home for 12 hours or more. That's ~360 km a day of range from charging at home. If you charge at work or hit a fast charger, more. If you factor in days where you drive less, you can catch up from a deficit if you had a huge battery.

I agree, ROI on rapid chargers seems low (unless it takes advantage of a government sponsored dumpster fire). I suspect cost for rapid chargers will spike (more in line with ICE $/km) as the only people that use them will need them and have no other viable option.

I disagree. Home charging is the only way EVs work. You won't be able to hyper-charge at home, but level 2 chargers at home won't go away, even if they're only for topping up range/fully charging over a day or two. Once EVs become the only option for a new car, I'm sure the guv will figure out a way to charge us for at-home charging.

No one will buy into a 30min fast charge at a 'gas' station twice a week.
They've already started in some US jurisdictions. Not sure it's implemented yet, but they will just charge you $/km on an annual basis as they're not getting their fuel tax. I think California was the first one.

EDIT: As per @GreyGhost my buddy bought a Model 3 recently. He doesn't even bother with an L2 charger at home right now because the amount of driving he does he'll never run out. He just sets it at L1 on the weekend and let's it charge up. He's typically goof for a whole week with just a night time top up to wherever it gets to on the L1.

One thing that is being looked at very seriously for taxes is 100% GPS based. Cities really like this and many are pushing for it as they can charge extra for people using their roads that are not rate payers (do not live in the city). They also like the automatic speeding tickets. Think no way, look at 911/fire extra charges....

Back in this thread. Again many people (~30% in older cities) have cars today but logistically will never have charging at every home, not due to grid but due to where they park. Also, want to drive the trans canada, no ROI on charging stations means no or broken stations. Make a real revenue model, they will be at every gas station at scale.

The mistake people make when thinking about this.... just because current tech has a 30 minute fast charge, does not mean future tech (specially at high voltages) will have the same limits. Comes down to battery temps and how much can you get how fast....

They've already started in some US jurisdictions. Not sure it's implemented yet, but they will just charge you $/km on an annual basis as they're not getting their fuel tax. I think California was the first one.

EDIT: As per @GreyGhost my buddy bought a Model 3 recently. He doesn't even bother with an L2 charger at home right now because the amount of driving he does he'll never run out. He just sets it at L1 on the weekend and let's it charge up. He's typically goof for a whole week with just a night time top up to wherever it gets to on the L1.
If you park outside, the downside for L1 for me is pre-conditioning will put a hurting on your battery. Jumping into a warm car is a nice EV benefit that ICE vehicles have trouble matching. May still work if you have enough capacity so you don't mind wasting some (like your buddies M3).

If you park outside, the downside for L1 for me is pre-conditioning will put a hurting on your battery. Jumping into a warm car is a nice EV benefit that ICE vehicles have trouble matching. May still work if you have enough capacity so you don't mind wasting some (like your buddies M3).
Love my pre-conditioning of the car. Nice and toasty before I get in and don't lose any battery power as I do it 10-15min before I even start getting ready. The L2 tops it up again.

One thing that is being looked at very seriously for taxes is 100% GPS based. Cities really like this and many are pushing for it as they can charge extra for people using their roads that are not rate payers (do not live in the city). They also like the automatic speeding tickets. Think no way, look at 911/fire extra charges....
Interesting....I'm sure there would be a large pushback against 'privacy', etc etc.

Back in this thread. Again many people (~30% in older cities) have cars today but logistically will never have charging at every home, not due to grid but due to where they park. Also, want to drive the trans canada, no ROI on charging stations means no or broken stations. Make a real revenue model, they will be at every gas station at scale.

The mistake people make when thinking about this.... just because current tech has a 30 minute fast charge, does not mean future tech (specially at high voltages) will have the same limits. Comes down to battery temps and how much can you get how fast....

Doesnt London do this? Not taxes but some smog fee when you enter the city?

Also this looks awesome: Chevy EV Silverado
More of an avalanche EV. I've always said the midgate on the avalanche was the best pickup invention ever, now you can 40/60 fold it as well.
Only question mark is GM reliability/quality and price. launch version is crazy expensive at 105k USD.

It looks like EV's are charging at ~1C. If you can deal with the heat, 2 or 3C may be possible. There could be a future adaptation where you connect to a coolant loop and electrical connection at the charger so you can blast in power at two or three times current rates and use stationary equipment to dump the heat (eg cooling tower or even chiller depending on space available and desirable pack temperature).

I’m predicting electricity rates go up over the next 5 yrs to compensate and suddenly EV is in the same price range as the outgoing ICE

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
You may be right. I don't think they can increase electricity that much without crippling many people though. I still think it's more likely that it is $/km added for an EV. It would suck for people that drove something like a Volt almost exclusively on gas and the program would likely assume that if you have the ability to plug in, all km's dodged the gas tax.

I’m predicting electricity rates go up over the next 5 yrs to compensate and suddenly EV is in the same price range as the outgoing ICE

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
EVs are already more expansive than comparable ICE cars. It'll just reduce the 'benefit' to nothing more than a feel good, eco-friendly fuzzy feeling.

EVs are already more expansive than comparable ICE cars. It'll just reduce the 'benefit' to nothing more than a feel good, eco-friendly fuzzy feeling.
They should be much lower cost per km. Obviously that depends somewhat on how many km you drive. If you drive very little, amortizing out the increased purchase price drives up the cost per km.

I'm keeping my eyes out for a Volt replacement in 5+ years (hopefully) and the new Equinox EV looks killer:

Equinox EV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom