Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 122 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

RE: Driving in the slow lane on a 400-series highway:
I would say 90km/h is dangerous, even in the right lane.

That's too broad a generalization in my opinion.

This morning on the 401 on my way to work I was passing cars in the left lane doing 110. I haven't a clue how slow the cars in the right lane were going. Was atleast 90.
Other days 110 in the right lane feels down right scary.

I think anything less than 110 on the 407 most of the time would be ill-advised. People are really moving on the 407.

Personally the average speed on the 400 series depends on the time and day.

Congestion? The EV really shines.

Sunday early morning? Flanders in the right lane doing 90 kph with Dominic in a German make going 140 kph in the left and I can cruise at basically any speed.

I’m using the C Max and do cruise the right lane at 100/110 kph and do find it a little anxious at times. Typically when there is traffic moving well and a lot of it entering and exiting. You get a lot of lane changes and I’d rather avoid being in the middle of it.

Typically, I’d be in the left lane, 120 kph, no holding anyone up and feeling pretty safe from anyone jumping a couple of lanes as they enter the highway or those looking to exit.

Same with collectors and express. You got a lot coming and going when in the right lane. I hate the middle lane but the right most lane can be a drag.

I do enjoy the C Max when traffic heavy and I can enjoy cruising in EV mode and crank the tunes and consider fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If BMW's could only be serviced at BMW dealers people would be ******.
If Mercedes could only be serviced at Mercedes dealers people would be ******.
If Audi's could only be serviced at Audi dealers people would be ******.
If Porche's could only be serviced at Porche dealers people would be ******.
If Jaguars could only be serviced at Jaguar dealers people would be ******.
If Saab's could only be serviced at Jaguar dealers people would be ******.
Etc, Etc, Etc.

Sure, dealers exist for all these brands..but you're just as able to take your car to a private repair facility and they will be able to source parts and access service manuals and procedures and complete a repair or service just as well as the dealer could. Heck, there's a shop in Oshawa (but to use one example I know of) that specializes in imports (BMW, Audi, Saab and other upscale brands) and prides themselves on being a non-dealer option for repairs.

Except Tesla. They still want it all to themselves, and refuse to let anyone have parts or service manuals.

As Brian mentioned, the current rich Tesla clientelle are willing to deal with this. Their desired clientele as the move into the $35K "Joe Plumber" segment however will NOT deal with that crap. Neither will the second hand owners who will soon be buying out of warranty Teslas and don't want to drive 10+ hours and pay exorbitant dealer prices for things that their local mom and pop shop could fix for them instead.

They want it to themselves for a reason. As you said, the clientele who bought their cars long time ago supports the model, as well as the 500K model 3 reservation holders, as well as any mew model X or S buyers. So far it's been the German car manufacturers whose cars nobody wants to own AFTER warranty expires (it's their cars who everyone leases, not Tesla's), we shall see what the future holds for everyone ...

BTW, Tesla will not, ever make cars for Joe Plumber, unless your Joe plumber buys +55K C$ plus cars (not what I hear ....). Once the rebate goes or is reduced and our dollar stays where it is vs US$, this is the least what the most Tesla cars will cost in Canada ... They have no interest in Joe Plumber, you know that very well. They are leaving this part of market to GM and others.

That's too broad a generalization in my opinion.

This morning on the 401 on my way to work I was passing cars in the left lane doing 110. I haven't a clue how slow the cars in the right lane were going. Was atleast 90.
Other days 110 in the right lane feels down right scary.

I think anything less than 110 on the 407 most of the time would be ill-advised. People are really moving on the 407.

Absolutely .... just to be clear 90-95m/h is definitely NOT dangerous anywhere on 4xx in GTA. You will be actually passing cars, and often. I know crazy, but that's a fact. Now, 407 is definitely moving at faster clip, but I don't use that road as a driver, ever, so no harm done.

Kona Electric looks like a winner.

Curious about pricing.

It does look interesting and I am pretty sure it will be very competitive. The one issue will be, the expected production per year ... they are starting with around 20K/year ... so chances are, we will not see the car until 2020 and you will have to pre-order early to get one. Which I hate doing, because it always sort of locks you in as far as your choices ...

Why? ... The car is written off after accident, right? Do you really blame Tesla that they want no part of it? (unless they can do their own safety on it). I really don't don't understand why this would be viewed as a bad approach.

Rich is a good entertainer ... only reason the channel exists.

Other manufacturers will do the recall work without these hassles, even if the vehicle has a salvage title, and they never black-list their products in this manner. (They can declare the warranty to be over, but safety recall work is mandatory regardless of warranty or title status)

I suspect in this case, that Tesla will get told by NHTSA to fix this at no cost to the customer, and if they demand unrelated work to be done in order to get the recall done, they will be told to do it on their nickel - no charge to the customer. I suspect that the estimated $16,000 in "needed" work that they demand to be done, will somehow magically disappear when they get told.

I recall another incident years ago when a certain European car was found to have defective heater cores prone to fail catastrophically under pressure, thus spraying the occupants (including the driver) with boiling hot coolant ... they tracked down every single example of those cars that they could find, including all that they could find in pick-a-part-type junkyards. Every car found in a salvage yard, they slashed a hole through the original heater core to make it useless (that's what was supposed to happen, anyhow) and left the new one sitting in the car, the objective being that if someone came in and bought a replacement heater core, it would be one of the "good" ones so that the manufacturer would no longer be liable for any of the problem ones.

Tesla blacklisting their own products is bizarre. If you have a salvage-title Chevy and you need a wheel bearing, the Chevy dealer will happily sell you one. They'll even happily install it for you. No warranty, of course, but if you're paying, they'll sell you the parts and they'll let you pay them to do the work.

I like the Tesla cars (with the exception of autopilot, and the QC problems).

I can't stand the company's business practices.

They want it to themselves for a reason. As you said, the clientele who bought their cars long time ago supports the model

"Supports" is not necessarily the word I'd use. They had no choice.

There's no shortage of Tesla owners who would *love* to be able to get simple repairs and such done at a local automotive repair shop vs driving potentially long distances to a special Tesla facility. And that's now, when stuff is covered under warranty for the most part. Wait until used cars out of warranty are in this scenario and people are looking at long drives and $170USD/Hour repair bills when their local $80/hour shop could accomplish the same thing.

If you owned a GM car and the nearest GM dealer was 8 hours away, but there was a well respected auto repair shop in town perfectly capable of doing the repair (since GM will gladly sell them parts and make the service manuals and tools available)...yeah, you'd probably opt for that local route, no?

BTW, Tesla will not, ever make cars for Joe Plumber, unless your Joe plumber buys +55K C$ plus cars (not what I hear ....). Once the rebate goes or is reduced and our dollar stays where it is vs US$, this is the least what the most Tesla cars will cost in Canada ... They have no interest in Joe Plumber, you know that very well. They are leaving this part of market to GM and others.

The fabled $35K USD Model3 aims squarely at the Joe Plumber segment of the population down there. The average selling price for a car in the USA was $33K....3 years ago.

Blue collar people down there think nothing of throwing $50K at a pavement princess pickup truck, anyone who's ever spent any time in the USA will agree that massive SUV's and pickup trucks are a massive segment of their vehicles. An moderate upscale SUV breaches the $40K tag in base form, off into the $50K range easily.

Even comparing cars, a moderately equipped Impala is $36KUSD.

IF Tesla actually ever rolls a $35K M3 out the door, it's firmly in the grasp of even blue collar consumers...so I disagree, Joe Plumber is their target.

Plumbers make good coin, BTW. ;)

mxs said:
Why? ... The car is written off after accident, right? Do you really blame Tesla that they want no part of it? (unless they can do their own safety on it). I really don't don't understand why this would be viewed as a bad approach.

It shouldn't matter if it comes in on the back of a tow-truck - there's a mandated NHTSA recall on one of it's parts, and a manufacturer is obligated by law to remedy the issue.

Tesla is going to get legally slapped over this, quite hard I suspect. If the media gets ahold of this story, it'll just add insult to injury.

And if they do refuse to replace a recalled part on a rebuilt car and then someone is injured or killed as a result of it's failure down the road they are going to be on the receiving end of a big freakin lawsuit, not to mention all sorts of new (surely unwanted) government attention...the likes of which is the last thing they need right now.

They are going to have to change their ways. This stuff is coming back and biting them in the *** now, and it's only going to get worse.

Last edited:
The ad says “base” but it’s actually fully loaded short of lane assist.

Good deal.

It doesn’t however have power seats as the ad declares – that was never an option whatsoever on generation 1 Volts.

It does have the same funky green interior accents as my wife’s 2012. She loves it, but it ain’t for everyone - that probably has a lot to do with the low price - the dealer we bought hers from couldn’t move it because so many people were turned off with the funky green stuff LOL. ;)

Here’s another one not too far from me.

The ad says it’s a base model but it has the leather interior. A bit more money but much lower km.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Yeah definitely not the base. Has heated seats, backup camera with sensors...possibly nav too. It may even have the front detection system too judging from the sensors on the front bumper.

Car is idling and has no EV power in the pics so that would worry me. Why wouldn't they just charge it? :confused:
....and add air to the tire before you take the pic! So lazy!

Those green interior accents though :crybaby:

Last edited:
The fabled $35K USD Model3 aims squarely at the Joe Plumber segment of the population down there. The average selling price for a car in the USA was $33K....3 years ago.

Blue collar people down there think nothing of throwing $50K at a pavement princess pickup truck, anyone who's ever spent any time in the USA will agree that massive SUV's and pickup trucks are a massive segment of their vehicles. An moderate upscale SUV breaches the $40K tag in base form, off into the $50K range easily.

Even comparing cars, a moderately equipped Impala is $36KUSD.

IF Tesla actually ever rolls a $35K M3 out the door, it's firmly in the grasp of even blue collar consumers...so I disagree, Joe Plumber is their target.

Plumbers make good coin, BTW. ;)

More to add;

considering there's a lot less servicing to be done on those cars compared to ICE will make it less of a pain in the rear to get serviced.

Also i've seen as recently as last week a confirmation of $CAD45k cost for the model 3... i'm going to assume it's before rebates?!

Yeah definitely not the base. Has heated seats, backup camera with sensors...possibly nav too. It may even have the front detection system too judging from the sensors on the front bumper.

Car is idling and has no EV power in the pics so that would worry me. Why wouldn't they just charge it? :confused:
....and add air to the tire before you take the pic! So lazy!

Those green interior accents though :crybaby:

Power seas don’t matter to me at all. My wife and I are the same height so we don’t need to move seats when driving each other’s cars.

I don’t mind the green accents at all. Kinda funky! Just needs some window tint and black wheels.

And I did notice that the battery is depleted, and the ICE is idling.

Someone buy my race bike already so I can get a Volt!

Also i've seen as recently as last week a confirmation of $CAD45k cost for the model 3... i'm going to assume it's before rebates?!

I’ll believe that when I see it. AFAIK none of the fabled $35k USD M3’s have even been made yet which is the only way we’d see a $44K CAD M3’s.

More than likely a $58K CAD M3 (and even that seems cheap) after the $14K rebate.

Back
Top Bottom