Any experience with Ready Powersports? With KTMs specifically? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any experience with Ready Powersports? With KTMs specifically?

mixedup

Would love to hear some feedback from riders as I don’t necessarily trust Google reviews!

I like that they have a huge showroom and are a multi line dealership...their sales rep leave a lot to be desired, and their prices are outrageous...I've not used their service department, but whenever I've called, their prices seem out of whack too...maybe go there, find what you want and shop around for a better deal...Apex in Cambridge also sell KTM, but they tend to be high as well...at least that's what I found when I was buying my FZ07...

They are a big nope unfortunately. Great physical location but nope. I got my KTM at GP. Got my first bike at Ready. Buddy bought a bike at Ready too and there was a gouge in the paint on the front fork. Buddy had to mention it first before they admitted they saw that too.

Parts department was ok as long as stuff is in stock. Service dept workmanship quality is questionable.

thread awhile back about Ready getting out of the Powersports business?
did this not happen?

several pages of reading to get to it

Parts department was ok as long as stuff is in stock. Service dept workmanship quality is questionable.

Last time I called, Parts was closed. Probably due to Covid 19

I bought a 2 used bikes from them a few years back. The sales folks seemed pretty good, their internal processes were slow -- took 4 hours to do the paperwork.

Afaik they haven't been an active ktm dealer in a while. They did have 2 new leftover 2014 1190 adventures on the floor last year, still wouldn't budge on MSRP.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

got mine at apex, last I checked online at ready their inventory is pretty thin

The Ready website shows a couple 2020s, and they’re listed as a dealer on the KTM website.

Would definitely consider Apex, but given I’m in Toronto the distance for service is less than ideal.
Strange that we have a Husqvarna dealer closer than a KTM dealer!

@mixedup remember you don't have to get it serviced where you bought it...so if you can get a better deal somewhere else, then go for it...ultimately it's your money and you can spend it where you want...I've had 4 motorcycles and have never had them serviced where they were purchased...that's my two cents worth anyways...

@mixedup remember you don't have to get it serviced where you bought it...so if you can get a better deal somewhere else, then go for it...ultimately it's your money and you can spend it where you want...I've had 4 motorcycles and have never had them serviced where they were purchased...that's my two cents worth anyways...
Yeah my issue is the closest/best option for KTM service (not so much where to buy). I’m not dead set on KTM either, although I do like their bikes. I’ve been completely loyal to GP, but a recent experience has put me off. Will be considering other options in the spring, so doing some research in the meantime!

Last time I was at Ready, around spring, they had buyers there and they said they were moving lots of stock (likely covid related). They didn't have anything I wanted in stock, but they had a few KTM dirt bikes.

Not hearing a lot about KTM from owners myself. I was looking at getting the 390 Adventure but was thrown off by claims that KTMs are unreliable and you need a parts truck following you around if you own one. Is this true? They are brilliant performers, but fairly complex like BMWs. I would hate to have to try to fix one.

Last time I was at Ready, around spring, they had buyers there and they said they were moving lots of stock (likely covid related). They didn't have anything I wanted in stock, but they had a few KTM dirt bikes.

Not hearing a lot about KTM from owners myself. I was looking at getting the 390 Adventure but was thrown off by claims that KTMs are unreliable and you need a parts truck following you around if you own one. Is this true? They are brilliant performers, but fairly complex like BMWs. I would hate to have to try to fix one.
From what I have seen, 390 is not the star it could have been. Some of ktms bikes are maintenance heavy, others are the same as everybody else. Pick your poison. The more high strung they are, the more work is required the same as everybody else.

Would definitely consider Apex, but given I’m in Toronto the distance for service is less than ideal.
Strange that we have a Husqvarna dealer closer than a KTM dealer!
+1 for apex, great customer service even when i didn't end up closing a deal with them they were a pleasure to work with.

they were also very open to handing over the keys for a demo ride, a buddy of mine even took an Africa Twin from them home for the weekend to try out.

A lot of it is model-specific. Many KTM models have particular known issues that IMO seem to crop up with more frequency than known issues on other brands. For example (and highly anecdotal): if you have a BMW R bike of a certain vintage, you are probably less likely to experience a failed final drive despite it being a known issue than if you are a early 690 owner getting a rocker arm failure.

It also seems that KTM pushes the envelope for performance and tuning (especially since their ethos is derived from being a competition brand), whereas other manufacturers leave a lot of margin for wear and fault tolerance. This results in an intensive maintenance schedule that if not kept-up exacerbates a lot of the known problems.

On the forums, I always read of KTM owners who brag about "never had a problem". But looking at their post history, these are the same guys that change their oil every ride and are up on every TSB and doing preventative wrenching every chance they get.

Last edited:
I’ve had a couple (640 Duke, 560SMC, 1190 Adv), but none of them long enough to have a real opinion on reliability). The Duke had a weepy banjo bolt that the original dealer couldn’t seem to diagnose/fix, but I ended up taking it to another dealer that had a less than stellar reputation and they fixed it immediately.

I have a 2015 adventure and so far has been reliable. It has over 25,000Km so far. I bought it with 12,000km at two wheel in Guelph. Oil changes have been done by me and the valve service which is due will go to Ken’s Moto works.
Before spring.

A few months ago a bunch of non current brand new KTM's showed up for sale at two used bike dealers. I suspect it might have been Ready liquidating their KTM's. I would have thought KTM would move them to another KTM dealer.

Back
Top Bottom